Private rented property giving notice to leave

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I would like some advice please.

We are supposed to be moving into a HA property within the next month. I have lived in this privately rented property for 15 years. The tenacy is supposed to be six months (when he actually issues them) I have giving the landlord one months notice. At present we do not have a tenancy agreement.

The property is in serious disrepair all caused by the neglect of the landlord.This resulted in a cat A listing on the house by an environmental health inspector. He said it was unfit to live in. This is the only reason after many years on the waiting list the HA are giving us a property.Theres is no deposit or month in advanced to be returned to us.

The problem is two fold.The HA have now said they have no idea when our new home will be ready dispite previously giving us a date to sign for the keys and start the tenancy.This creates a problem as the landlord has accepted our notice to leave. He also says we are behind with the rent. I don't believe him but as the rent is paid by cheque how can I prove this? There is no way I can find 15 years of bank statements or cheque stubs.

We have already waited 3 months for the HA property and when I call them I just get different excuses each time. I suffer from serious health problems and all this stress is really making me unwell.

Does it fall to me to prove we are not behind with the rent or the landlord to prove we are? Really getting worried the HA will withdraw the offer on the house if they think we are behind with this rent. As for the HA I just cannot get any information from them at all concerning when the house will be ready.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

With regards the rent I would personally be writing to the landlord and stating something to the effect that

"I have paid my rent regularly and by cheque for 15 years.

As far as I am aware all my cheques have been presented without incident or comment from you.

You have not previously advised me of any problems, or shortfall with our rent.

Please will you therefore confirm by return what is owed and in particular the specific dates to which this relates."

There is a poster here more familiar than I with the workings of HA's, so he may best placed to guide you. I'm sure he will be along shortly.

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

If he says there are arrears he needs to come up with dates and figures not just some vague statement that you owe money.

I am also not that familiar with the workings of HAs but if you are not getting the info you need from them try contacting their complaints team or the Chief Exec's office. This may get you the info you need.

Housing Depts at Councils don't just look at housing people they can also give advice to private tenants, etc. Speak to someone there and explain the situation that you have given notice on your privately rented property and this has been accepted but you are now being messed about with the HA tenancy start date and it looks like you could end up homeless. Also tell them about the rent situation and that you are worried that the landlords claims that you owe rent may just be the start of a campaign to make this as hard for you as possible. They should be able to give you help and advice about this situation. They will probably be able to liaise with the HA on your behalf as the last thing they want is a family coming to them as homeless when it could have been avoided.

Can you PM me the name of the HA please?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thank you all for the replies really is appreciated:).

You have confirmed what I thought he should produce some dates and figures.

I believe the environmental report is why the landlord is being difficult. For years I asked for repairs to be carried out in writing and verbally. Fell on deaf ears though.

MrShed pm sent.

Did you get anything in writing from the HA, have you signed a tenancy agreement?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!