Equifax online dispute help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am trying to get an old Barclaycard default that is showing on my Equifax report with a default date more than 8 years after the date of actual default removed. So far, I have written to Barcalycard several times and have just been ignored. I created an on-line dispute with Equifax, and filled in the question about 3 weeks ago. I received an automated response when I submitted it referring me to their guidance on how long defaults stay on credit files blah blah blah and then about a week later, the status changed to 'sent to a third party'. However, I don't know what this means - does this mean they have the details to Barclaycard? I have tried many times to contact Equifax but just can't get through on their customer service line. How do I know that someone is actually dealing with my dispute or that they have actually read the details? I read on here that if no response is received from Barclaycard after 28 days then Equifax removes the adverse information, although I didn't see any mention of this on their website. How does it actually work then- if Barclaycard don't respond will they inform me through changing the status thing again or will they actually write to me to tell me they are removing the information? Finally, have I done it right? Is there a different process for challenging information on credit files with Equifax that I am not aware of? Please help and my apologies for posing so many questions.

R

Sent to 3rd Party: This does mean that Equifax have contacted barclays regarding your concerns.

The CRA's have 28 days to respond to your query in full. If they get no answer from Barclays, then they should remove the data.

I am having an argument with equifax as well. They think they are a governemt department when they are a company.

If as you say it is 8 years old from the date of defauilt, then this should have been automatically removed.

Go back to the your question session with them and update the question.

Tell them that they are fully aware with the account showing a default date more than 6 years old on your Credit File should have been removed by now and they are holding the data unlawfully and in contravention of the Data Protection Act.

Tell them that you will contact the Information Commissioner and or iniate a court summons using one of the Company Director's as a Co-Defendant.

If you can, print a copy of the account in question showing the default date so they dont unlawfully change it at Barclays request. This will be your eveidence for the Information Commissioner.

Thank you dundeelaw, it's very much appreciated. It is Barclaycard who have registered the wrong default date of 01/07. However, I obtained a copy of the original default notice through a SAR from them and this was dated 02/1999. I attached a scanned copy of the default notice to my Equifax dispute as evidence. I just find the way Equifax works to be very strange as you don't feel you're dealing with any actual people. Anyway, having written to Barclaycard several times and been completely ignored, with any luck they will also ignore Equifax as I am sure they are well aware they are in the wrong. If however Equifax don't remove the information from my file after the 28 days then I will be going down the Information Commissioner route.

Thanks again.

Hello, just thought I'd provide a quick update:

I just received a message this morning from Equifax stating that as Barclaycard has failed to respond them regarding the default, that they have removed the default information from my credit file but that they would contact me again if they even come back to them. I have just checked my credit file and the default information has been completely removed. I am so relieved as I now finally have a clean file with both Equifax and Experian. Result!:grin:

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice both on this thread and on my initial one about Barclaycard.

R

I also raised queries with Equifax about 3 weeks ago - one regarding a financial association that had ceased to exist years ago and three others regarding debt collection searches that were just wrong. They removed the association almost immediately and removed the searches when the companies concerned hadn't replied within 21 days. So although it is very difficult to get through to them on the phone, Equifax do seem to be pretty efficient when it comes to dealing with queries.

• 5 months later...
Hello, just thought I'd provide a quick update:

I just received a message this morning from Equifax stating that as Barclaycard has failed to respond them regarding the default, that they have removed the default information from my credit file but that they would contact me again if they even come back to them. I have just checked my credit file and the default information has been completely removed. I am so relieved as I now finally have a clean file with both Equifax and Experian. Result!:grin:

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice both on this thread and on my initial one about Barclaycard.

R

stueypie hi darenstar hope you and the other forum members dont mind me muscleing in on this debate ive had the exact same problem with barclaycard and equifax and a default date of 02/07/2007 wen it had long since been expired i mean over 6 years it was on my experian report but because its over 6 years old it automatically went off i have excellent score with experiam

n and only fair with equifax and im sure it is just because of the default regisered against me i have raised a online dispute with equifax and it is showing sent to 3rd party i hope i get the same result as yourselves as then i will to have excellent credit profiles THANKS STUART

• Haha 1