joint welcome loan

gh1980

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4444 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

good evening

i made the stupid mistake of adding my name as second applicant to a welcome loan of around 3500 in december 2008. She spent the money and started paying the whole sum, as agreed, for a few months before we split.

She never made a single payments again (175 per month).

She never gave me her address though i had a few leads on her whereabouts and gave this info to welcome. As i realised i was joint liable for the loan i paid half (88 per month). The initially told me ths was fine and hapily tooke my money each month until this week they have started kicking up a fuss, the loan has gathered interest (around 5k now).

They now want me to pay the whole lot. I know what street she lives on and the appartment block but just not the number but they simply have no intention of chasing her.

i cant afford to pay the full amount each month and wonder what options i have.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, great forum by the way and big thanks to regular users who i have seen offer good advice

firstly if its a joint loan (on paper at least) should u not be liable for only half?

it doesnt surprise me they dont want to be bothered to chase her

would a trip to CAB not be of use to get them to at least freeze interest/reduce payments...

sorry i cant offer any better advice hope someone will be along soon :)

I am a consumer just like you, please get a second opinion or investigate yourself on anything I advise as I am in no way legally trained. Everything I know has come from the Mighty CAG and fellow CAGGERS. :cool:

If I have helped in any way please click my reputation star and make a donation to CAG to enable us all to continue to help each other :cool:

The law says that if you take on a debt (a mortgage or a loan, say) jointly

then you will be 'jointly and severally liable' for it.

This means that if one of you does not pay your share,

the other can be made to pay the whole lot.

sorry not 5k in interest, 5k in total

i asked for a copy of my agreement last week and im still waiting

i understand that im joint liable but it hasnt been difficult to locate her whereabouts so im sure they could, its not like she has vanished she just hasnt replied to any letters.

could there be a scenario where they would accept some sort of a deal from me? they offered me a cash settlement of £2700 which i obviousley havent got. As per welcome they are complete morons when u try to explain your current plight and dont listen. My stance is im paying u half, u know what appartment block she lives, she is the lead name go find her but i also know if i pay the full monthly figure they will not make an effort to find her at all