mobile scam

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter just got scamed,she was called and sold insurance for her new phone,,she paid by bank card over phone.after she relised she was called by a mobile,checked with phone company who said not them.

She cancelled her card and phoned police all within 1hour,so be careful.

Now then the intresting bit is that the caller knew all her details down to the phone details and the bank is saying she will not get her money back as she gave her details willingly.Ok she did but the caller knew all her details ,any advice most wellcome.many thanks

As you've discovered, if you willingly provide your details you cannot simply change your mind and expect a chargeback, (in the same way if you paid them cash). You certainly have rights to cancel the insurance and under the DSR yo have rights of cancellation, but you do this by cancelling with the firm that provided the service.

Thread moved.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thats who we think passed her details on ,now found out who this company is and requested moneys back .Told should receive a cheque in 5 working days .Will keep updating ,maybe not a [problem] after all ,fingers crossed.many thanks

The thing is, online and in the shops, there are lots of tick boxes on the forms that say things like "we will pass your info on to trusted 3rd parties. If you don't want us to, tick this box" and then they put another one "please tick this box if you consent to marketing". So you need to tick one and leave one blank... it's designed to catch people out who just scan through things. Next thing you know you are bombarded with marketing calls.

This is another reason that I only buy PAYG then swap the SIM out, because I don't trust the sales staff not to put a phone through for marketing (a lot of them get a bonus for signing people up for marketing, and when they sort the contract directly onto their computers they don't even ask, and just consent you to marketing)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

my cousin had the same problem,took out a new phone,phone call soon after saying that CPW had passed her details on & would you like insurance etc

site:whocallsme.com whocallsme o2 iphone carphone warehouse OR cpw

site:whocallsme.com whocallsme o2 iphone carphone warehouse OR cpw - Google Search

site:whocallsme.com whocallsme "2010"o2 iphone carphone warehouse OR cpw

site:whocallsme.com whocallsme "2010"o2 iphone carphone warehouse OR cpw - Google Search

a lot of people are claiming the same thing

a lot of people are claiming the same thing

What? Incompetence in protecting their marketing preferences? These will be the same people who on calling these Meerkcat, Opera Lovin' comparison companies who make their money on selling on the details of enquirers, including home address and full DoB, feign surprise anyone would do such a thing.

What? Incompetence in protecting their marketing preferences? These will be the same people who on calling these Meerkcat, Opera Lovin' comparison companies who make their money on selling on the details of enquirers, including home address and full DoB, feign surprise anyone would do such a thing.

ignorant maybe

wouldn't it be more constructive if you kept your personal views to your self and let forum members educate themselves as to how customer data is being supplied and used by unscrupulous con merchants?

Surely they have to learn somehow? This is as good a place as any - however, if you don't like my 'personal views' try to ignore them. Trying to blame a firm for passing on personal details when they've got every right to is a case in point, no point trying to push toothpaste back into the tube.

Of course lots of people can 'claim the same thing' - it doesn't mean to say anything illegal or improper has occurred. Nice to see you're still spreading that ol' goodwill....

this is just one typical example of hundreds concerning Carphone Warehouse and o2

08443350424 - who calls me from 08443350424? 1/3

I set up a new contract with the Carphone Warehouse on Saturday after purchasing a new iphone. Carphone Warehouse offered me there expensive insurance at £10.99 per month which I took out as the phone was so expensive to buy. By Tuesday, Michael Davies, from 02 rang to offer me cheaper iphone insurance. He knew my name and asked me to confirm my postcode and house number which I did (because he was from 02) He was offering me £105 for 18 months or he could split it, apparently over my first and second bill which I was prepared to do at £52.50. Michael then asked me to confijrm my long card number on my debit card which aroused suspicion. I told him I wasn't prepared to do this as he could be anyone. He assured me he was from 02 and that with it being a new number, not many people, if any would have it only 02 and Carphone warehouse and my friends. Michael then read out the first 4 digits of my RBS debit card and asked me to confirm the rest. I told him no and that he could be anyone trying to [problem] money. He told me due to confidentiality and security purposes, Carphone Warehouse had blanked out the rest of the card and assured me that this was good practice on there behalf. He needed my account details to cancel the existing insurance deal with Geek Squad in order for 02 to set up there insurance. I didn’t give Michael any details and said I would cancel my own direct debit with Geek Squad and call him back to take out there insurance. Michael Gave me his 02 extension number of 150, and then a separate number of 0844 335 0424 which I could call back on to take up this offer. After googling this number I found that they are conning bastards that are in no way connected to 02 or Carphone Warehouse, just trying to con money out of trusting, honest people. I'll be ringing 02, I’ll be going in to the Carphone Warehouse and I’ll be in touch with Watchdog.

Trying to blame a firm for passing on personal details when they've got every right to is a case in point, no point trying to push toothpaste back into the tube.

Of course lots of people can 'claim the same thing' - it doesn't mean to say anything illegal or improper has occurred.

personal data being used to cold call mislead and con but "it doesn't mean to say anything illegal or improper has occurred."

Sorry, the point you're trying to make is.... what?

Firms are dishonest?

What 'personal data' did the cold caller actually have? I don't see any having been disclosed. From that end of the ramble you quoted, it appears than neither O2 or CW have done anything illegal (or at all, in this case).

Yet it was CW that was being blamed in the first instance.

If folk are happy at providing their personal details to [problematic], who else it there to blame? The [problematic]? I don't think so. Let's not forget, there are people out there who think Direct Debits are wonderful and the DD guarantee protects them from error.

If folk are too silly to see this is untrue (for a legitimate organisation) how on earth can they be trusted to be wary of anyone selling stuff over the phone. For this very reason, I don't. Funny, I haven't been stung yet.

Not conclusively.

In the recent T-Mobile farago - agent(s)? Were passing on information regarding new customers to firms to sell on - this was call-centre related, and easily traceable.

However, it is no secret when networks release number blocks for the latest contract SIMS from each network and virtual operator. They simply dial numbers within these blocks, safe in the knowledge they've only just been connected.

On the other end, they call old number ranges to say you can 'upgrade' :) My Cellnet number is was 0860 the first code they used, now - as 07860 no new customers are added, but I still get 3 calls per year saying i'm entitled to an upgrade (I'm not, but they don't know this).

Then of course, there's dialling 07 numbers at random - you'll never stop it.

Personal data is money. If you give people the opportunity to sell your information, they will. It's not just the Opera singing meerkats either. Google (and other search engines) target adds to you using the data it holds on you (and turns a pretty penny whilst they're at it!)

Look at it this way, if you are trying to sell something (In this case mobile insurance) and you own/rent a call center, it makes sense to target your calls to peoples needs. If you buy all the data from people who's agreement says they "consent to marketing from trusted third parties" straight after they receive a shiny new mobile, it makes business sense to concentrate your call centers on these numbers. It's nothing sinister or illegal (Annoying, yes. Illegal, no) and these companies can buy "lists" from all the major mobile suppliers to keep their staff busy!

Tracing who passed the details on, or if they just noted a block of telephone numbers that had been released and set their dialer to keep trying these numbers until they become active would be a hard task!

For those Latin lovers "Caveat emptor" (for the rest of us "Let the buyer beware") Check your contract twice before signing it and read the small print. If marketing calls bother you, double check with your mobile operator that you are "opted out of all marketing". Even just write them a letter requesting they opt you out of all marketing will stop them passing your details on further (but this does become a task of pushing toothpaste back into the tube.)

My personal take is Don't buy on an incoming call. If you want something, call the company yourself or go online. Buying over the telephone or over the internet offers more protection to the customer, aswell as using a credit card. Remember the golden rule "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!"

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 3 weeks later...
personal data being used to cold call mislead and con..........

Sorry, the point you're trying to make is.... what?

Firms are dishonest?

WalesOnline - News - UK News - Four in custody after phone insurance [problem] that netted up to 5m

Four in custody after phone insurance [problem] that netted up to £5m

Apr 21 2010

A WOMAN and three men were being questioned last night about a mobile phone insurance [problem] said to have netted up to £5m over the past five years.

South Wales Police have so far identified more than 300 victims of the bogus insurance operation but there are many more.

In the culmination of a two-year investigation yesterday, a team of 40 officers raided business premises in the centre of Swansea and homes in the city’s Sketty, Manselton and Birchgrove areas.

All four arrested – three men aged 43, 29 and 28 and a woman aged 25 – were in custody at Swansea Central Police Station.

The investigation into the insurance [problem] was carried out by South Wales Police’s western division and the economic crime unit. It began in Swansea after customers who bought mobile phones contacted trading standards officers claiming to have been contacted by locally based businesses attempting to sell them mobile phone insurance.

I think buzby should have a read up on the Data Protection Act and laws/regulations.

who can and cannot pass on customer personal data?

who that data can be supplied to.

the obligation to carry out due diligence checks.

WalesOnline - News - UK News - Four in custody after phone insurance [problem] that netted up to 5m

Four in custody after phone insurance [problem] that netted up to £5m

Apr 21 2010

A WOMAN and three men were being questioned last night about a mobile phone insurance [problem] said to have netted up to £5m over the past five years.

South Wales Police have so far identified more than 300 victims of the bogus insurance operation but there are many more.

In the culmination of a two-year investigation yesterday, a team of 40 officers raided business premises in the centre of Swansea and homes in the city’s Sketty, Manselton and Birchgrove areas.

All four arrested – three men aged 43, 29 and 28 and a woman aged 25 – were in custody at Swansea Central Police Station.

The investigation into the insurance [problem] was carried out by South Wales Police’s western division and the economic crime unit. It began in Swansea after customers who bought mobile phones contacted trading standards officers claiming to have been contacted by locally based businesses attempting to sell them mobile phone insurance.

I think buzby should have a read up on the Data Protection Act and laws/regulations.

who can and cannot pass on customer personal data?

who that data can be supplied to.

the obligation to carry out due diligence checks.

If you don't opt out of marketing or if you agree to them passing on your info to 3rd parties who then tries to sell them insurance none of the DPA rules have been broken. Someone got the OP's daughters number (either randomly dialing it or from her supplier if she agreed to marketing) and sold her insurance. The OP's daughter assumed it was the person her contract is with.

The article you posted doesn't have enough info. Maybe the company didn't have a license to sell insurance? Maybe they were using the payment details to take more money or some other crime? You can be pretty sure they didn't legally buy a lot of contact details for people that had consented to 3rd party marketing to sell a legitimate insurance!

Personally, I never buy on an incoming call, but that's just me.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

I think you should stop telling me what to read. The article is short of facts (surprise surprise) and provides no inkling as to the offences supposedly committed. The fact the people happily call GoCompare/Compare the Meerkat/Money Supermarket for the express purpose of buying insurance, totally unaware that all the details they provide will be used for this along with passing on their details to anyone else they can make money from is the real scandal.

You might be phoning for a quote, but your personal details (given willingly) are this firms bread and butter. Sure, they ket paid commissions for passing on sales leads, but even if no policy is taken out - your data has a cash value (to them).