Buying a car advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5149 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I've just put a £500 deposit on a 2 yr old car from a small garage.

They are taking mine in part ex and I'm returning on weds to pay the balance and swap cars.

However I want to also keep my private reg and understand I need to fill a form in for this and send it off with the V5 of my new car.

So they give me the new cars V5 document so I can take it with me to the dvla office but in getting home I notice the V5 is still in the name of the company they bought it off (zenith / provecta). I rang the garage and they said this is because they only bought it a couple of days ago and would not have the V5 in their name.

So is this normal? I'm not used to buying and selling cars but with the added complication of a private reg I'm a bit confused and dont want to be ripped off after parting with 21k next wednesday.

Thanks

I don't think you are doing this in a very simple way, (if it is even at all possible to do it like you are trying to). Whenever I have wanted to take my private reg off a car I have done it at least several weeks before needing to get rid of the car.

You would submit your V5 to the DVLA along with a V317 and, several weeks later, you will receive a new V5 with a newly issued number plate (or the original number plate if it had one before you put your private reg on). authority to have these new plates made and a new tax disk, as well as a V778 Retention Certificate showing you have the right to re-use the private reg.

Having bought the new car with it's "standard" plate on, as soon as the V5 arrives in my name, I then go to the DVLA office and apply to put my private reg onto the new car by surrendering the V778 and newly received V5.

Useful info here

Retaining a registration mark and how to apply : Directgov - Motoring

What is a number plate retention certificate document - The Plate Market

• Haha 1

Thanks for the reply, doing it that way would surely cost more money, the retention fee (100) and another 80 when I put it on a new car?

Plus I don't really have that choice any more as I've already bought the car.

No, the transfer fee (£80) is included in the retention fee.

What I have usually done - but it requires the agreement of the trader (which you seem to have) - is to fill in the V5 for the 'new' car for the new keeper; complete the transfer form and send all this off with the 'old' car V5 (in fact, I usually deliver to an LVLO) and the other necessary paperwork. You only then need to pay the transfer fee (£80).

When the new V5 for the 'old' car arrives, deliver this to the dealer and then he gets to pay for the new plates which psychologically improves the appearance of a used car anyway

• Haha 1