• Tweets

• Hi. Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • I've looked through all our old NPE threads, and as far as we know they have never had the bottle to do court. There are no guarantees of course, but when it comes to put or shut up they definitely tend towards shut up. How about something like -   Dear Jonathan and Julie, Re: PCN no.XXXXX cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea that you actually expected me to take this tripe seriously and cough up. I'll write to you not some uninterested third party, thanks all the same, because you have are the ones trying to threaten me about this non-existent "debt". Go and look up Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd, saddos.  Oh, while you're at it, go and look up your Subject Access Request obligations - we all know how you ballsed that up way back in January to March. Dear, dear, dear - you couldn't resist adding your £70 Unicorn Food Tax, you greedy gets.  Judges don't like these made-up charges, do they? You can either drop this foolishness now or get a hell of a hammering in court.  Both are fine with me.  Summer is coming up and I would love a holiday at your expense after claiming an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g). I look forward to your deafening silence.   That should show them you're not afraid of them and draw their attention to their having legal problems of their own with the SAR.  If they have any sense they'll crawl back under their stone and leave you in peace.  Over the next couple of days invest in a 2nd class stamp (all they are worth) and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.
    • Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Disability Living Allowance in Spain ***WON***

chloe01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I applied for DLA back in February 2008 from Spain after it was announced in October 2007 that this was possible.

I was rejected due to the 26 week rule where you have to be physically, in person, be in the UK. This was not possible as I have two young children in full time education in Spain.

I appealed this decision on the bases that I am a Dependent of a Family Member who lives and works in the UK. And also the fact that I have been in receipt of Long-Term Incapacity Benefit since 1996.

I received an email from the Exportability Team at the DLA asking for proof of dependency, which they have now received and my claim in now with the POLICY DEPARTMENT, who apparently are the department that deals with cases that the normal department of the DLA cannot decide if a claim is OK or not.

I am now awaiting a response from the DLA. And if I am turned down my case will go to appeal.

There were a few Test Cases heard in London at the beginning of March but I think they covered existing claimants who lost their DLA when they moved from the UK. Anyway, if anyone has any news, updates or even personal experiences they would like to share with me with regards to the above I would be very interested in seeing if others are having the same problem as me.

Thanks for listening

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer your question, hopefully someone will be along that can. In the meantime, please do not start anymore threads about this, this is the 3rd one I have read from you and they are all exactly the same. Starting numerous threads asking the same thing just fills up the main page and knocks other people who may need help down the list and that is not fair on them.

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

I can't answer your question, hopefully someone will be along that can. In the meantime, please do not start anymore threads about this, this is the 3rd one I have read from you and they are all exactly the same. Starting numerous threads asking the same thing just fills up the main page and knocks other people who may need help down the list and that is not fair on them.

It was not done on purpose. I am new to this forum.

Goldensyrup, I don't know if this is relevant, but if you spend most of the year in Spain, are you in their tax and benefits system?

HB

Hi,

No I don´t work because I can´t I receive Incapacity Benefit from UK. If I was able to work then, yes, I would pay into the Spanish System.

I don´t know about Spanish benefits because I have never asked about it.

Hi,

No I don´t work because I can´t I receive Incapacity Benefit from UK. If I was able to work then, yes, I would pay into the Spanish System.

I don´t know about Spanish benefits because I have never asked about it.

Hi HB,

I received a private email as below. Do you have any idea why my email would have been un-approved? I did try to reply and ask but have not received an answer.

Thanks

GS :confused:

You have received a new private message at The Consumer Forums from CAGBot, entitled "Post Un-Approved".

Sorry, I don't know what this is about. I didn't send you a PM. CAGbot is part of the site team, so maybe you posted something that wasn't appropriate earlier? You can't reply to CAGbot, it's an automated message. I wouldn't worry unduly, just keep asking what you need to know.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi HB

Thanks for your reply. This is the only post that I sent, as I am new to this forum. I did receive a message from SIMON7685 saying that I had posted my question 3 times and was knocking people of the front page. I just replied to him and said that it was not intentional as I was not sure what I was doing. But I would like to find out.

GS

Hi goldensyrup. You have started three different threads for the same query. When this happens, posts which have the exact same query by the same member are unapproved because they are duplicates.

To find your way around the forum and how it works, read: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

And you will find the forum rules here

Where entitlement to benefit is unclear to the Decision Makers, for example because there doesn't appear to be clear guidance/law in reference to an aspect of a person's claim, clarification is sought from the legal and policy department of DWP who will advise the decision maker accordingly.

Have they specified to you why they are unable to reach their decision and what clarification it is they are seeking from policy?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi goldensyrup. You have started three different threads for the same query. When this happens, posts which have the exact same query by the same member are unapproved because they are duplicates.

To find your way around the forum and how it works, read: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

And you will find the forum rules here

Where entitlement to benefit is unclear to the Decision Makers, for example because there doesn't appear to be clear guidance/law in reference to an aspect of a person's claim, clarification is sought from the legal and policy department of DWP who will advise the decision maker accordingly.

Have they specified to you why they are unable to reach their decision and what clarification it is they are seeking from policy?

Hello thank you for your reply, I thought I had written something wrong.

With regards to your question. The Exportability Team at DLA emailed me to request evidence that I am a dependent on my father in the UK. This was sent to them and I was then advised that the Policy Department have it and are dealing with it. They have had it now for about 3 weeks. I have no idea what the hold up is, or what they are checking. Nobody can tell me at the Expo Department. Do you know if there is a direct number to the Policy Department of the DWP. I just assumed that the Policy Department was incorporated within the Expo Department and was on the same contact number.

Regards,

HB

They deal solely with legal and policy issues, they don't deal with claims to benefit in themselves as they do not decide your case; their position in this situation is purely advisory to the DWP in that they advise the Decision Maker of the guidance or law surrounding the area of question and the Decision Maker in DLA (or the Exportability Team) make the decision on your claim, thus there is no contact number for them in respect of your claim to DLA.

3 weeks is a long time so whatever the query is, it must be something in-depth; the positive way of looking at it is that DLA are doing all they can to see if they can revise the decision in your favour without the need for tribunal by seeking proper clarification on an area of law or guidance which is unclear.

• Haha 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

They deal solely with legal and policy issues, they don't deal with claims to benefit in themselves as they do not decide your case; their position in this situation is purely advisory to the DWP in that they advise the Decision Maker of the guidance or law surrounding the area of question and the Decision Maker in DLA (or the Exportability Team) make the decision on your claim, thus there is no contact number for them in respect of your claim to DLA.

3 weeks is a long time so whatever the query is, it must be something in-depth; the positive way of looking at it is that DLA are doing all they can to see if they can revise the decision in your favour without the need for tribunal by seeking proper clarification on an area of law or guidance which is unclear.

Hi again,

Would you like to see a copy of the information on dependency they have asked me for which they sent via email?

Hi Erika,

I telephoned the DLA again today and all they could tell me was that my claim was still with the Policy Department. How long does it take to look at, it´s getting stupid, I´m getting more stressed. They can´t tell me what they are looking into (it can only be the dependency evidence I sent them), so I assume the (DLA Expo) dept can´t decide if my claim is OK, hence sending it to the Policy department for advice.

I claimed in February 2008 so this has been going on now for over 2 years, (first it was the 26 week rule I was refused on and now the dependency) and if the DLA think I am just going to give up, they can think again. I may have been diagnoised with a severe mental health disorder (Bipolar, Acute Anxiety and Clinical Depression since 1996 and in receipt of Long-Term IB, (I was actually signed off for 5 years after my last Social Security medical, I was only in there with my mum for 4 minutes and he told her to take me home), I do infact have a copy of the report he had written on me, it reads like something from the script of ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST), but I am not totally brain dead. My IB is up for renewal in July, but all they do is send a letter to my doctor here in Spain and I think I may have to fill in the usual form and post it back.

Or, maybe the DLA are trying to help me because they could always have sent me a letter saying that the dependency evidence was no good and not even bothered to send it to the Policy Dept. then my claim would have gone to appeal.:)

What do you think?

Sorry to go on.

Thanks

GS

Hi Erika,

I telephoned the DLA again today and all they could tell me was that my claim was still with the Policy Department. How long does it take to look at, it´s getting stupid, I´m getting more stressed. They can´t tell me what they are looking into (it can only be the dependency evidence I sent them), so I assume the (DLA Expo) dept can´t decide if my claim is OK, hence sending it to the Policy department for advice.

I claimed in February 2008 so this has been going on now for over 2 years, (first it was the 26 week rule I was refused on and now the dependency) and if the DLA think I am just going to give up, they can think again. I may have been diagnoised with a severe mental health disorder (Bipolar, Acute Anxiety and Clinical Depression since 1996 and in receipt of Long-Term IB, (I was actually signed off for 5 years after my last Social Security medical, I was only in there with my mum for 4 minutes and he told her to take me home), I do infact have a copy of the report he had written on me, it reads like something from the script of ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST), but I am not totally brain dead. My IB is up for renewal in July, but all they do is send a letter to my doctor here in Spain and I think I may have to fill in the usual form and post it back.

Or, maybe the DLA are trying to help me because they could always have sent me a letter saying that the dependency evidence was no good and not even bothered to send it to the Policy Dept. then my claim would have gone to appeal.:)

What do you think?

Sorry to go on.

Thanks

GS

Hi again Erika,

Also if my dependency evidence is not OK and my claim has to go to appeal. It would have to be a paper hearing as I am unable to travel because of my condition (although I would love to go so I can make sure they understand everything I am going through).

Anyway, would this put me at a disadvantage, as after all the stress for more than 2 years, I would hate to think I was turned down at appeal because I was not able to be there.

Thanks

GS

Hi again,

Would you like to see a copy of the information on dependency they have asked me for which they sent via email?

Hi Erika,

I did not see an answer to the above query. Do you think that maybe, if I send you the email they sent to me with the evidence they requested you may be able to figure out why it is taking so long.

Thank you

GS:)

I wouldn't be able to figure out what is taking them so long because it is not known what they are considering, exactly, i.e what the query is that has been sent to policy. It may be to do with your supporting evidence but what area of this has raised a question, only they can answer.

The whole appeal process (including first tier tribunal) for DLA can take up to 9 months from the date they receive the appeal request. Oral hearings are generally more successful than paper hearings statistically because the chair has opportunity to present questions to the claimant and have them answered to clarify where there are areas of doubt; a paper hearing relies solely upon the paper evidence presented to tribunal.

I can't understand why they will not tell you what they are seeking clarification on; you would find out anyway if it continues to tribunal as they have to send you the bundle which contains all of the evidence they used in their decision not to revise in order for you to prepare any submissions.

I wouldn't be able to figure out what is taking them so long because it is not known what they are considering, exactly, i.e what the query is that has been sent to policy. It may be to do with your supporting evidence but what area of this has raised a question, only they can answer.

The whole appeal process (including first tier tribunal) for DLA can take up to 9 months from the date they receive the appeal request. Oral hearings are generally more successful than paper hearings statistically because the chair has opportunity to present questions to the claimant and have them answered to clarify where there are areas of doubt; a paper hearing relies solely upon the paper evidence presented to tribunal.

I can't understand why they will not tell you what they are seeking clarification on; you would find out anyway if it continues to tribunal as they have to send you the bundle which contains all of the evidence they used in their decision not to revise in order for you to prepare any submissions.

Hi Erika,

I am not sure if I have asked them what clarification they are waiting for. I dont want to keep bugging them but do you think it would be OK to telephone the Expo Dept and ask them. I did phone the DLA Helpline today and they just said that my file is at the Policy Department. I did not ring the actual Expo Department who have all the answers. I thought info/queries/updates etc would be linked on their computers under my N.i number, but it seems that Expo know more than the DLA Helpline.

Anyway do you think I am justified in ringing Expo and asking them.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Erika,

Just to update you. I telephoned the DLA Helpline on Friday and was told that the Policy Department has finished with my claim and it is back with the Expo Dept, I think she told me it was with the Decision Makers. I asked if it would be OK to ring Monday to see whats happening.

She would/could not give me any more information on my claim. Do you think it is possible that the Helpline really don't know the outcome and that Expo would have more information. I never know if Helpline know or not as I assumed all computers are linked up.

What do you think?

• 1 month later...

Hi Erika,

Just to update you on my DLA claim. I received a rejection letter last week after appealing to the DLA that I was "dependent".

My claim is now back again with the DM and is being prepared to go to Tribunal Appeal. I have prepared my own appeal that I wish to be read out on my behalf, because as I think I mentioned before, I can not attend in person.

I have been getting loads of help from a man called David who is a legal advisor. I am now appealing on the fact that "I am an insured person in my own right" through my Long Term Incapacity benefit and so IB are paying my N.I contributions, thus making the UK my compentant State and are responsible for my benefits.

Regards :)

Hi everyone,

I applied for DLA back in February 2008 from Spain after it was announced in October 2007 that this was possible.

I appealed this decision on the bases that I am a Dependent of a Family Member who lives and works in the UK. And also the fact that I have been in receipt of Long-Term Incapacity Benefit since 1996.

I received an email from the Exportability Team at the DLA asking for proof of dependency, which they have now received and my claim in now with the POLICY DEPARTMENT, who apparently are the department that deals with cases that the normal department of the DLA cannot decide if a claim is OK or not.

I am now awaiting a response from the DLA. And if I am turned down my case will go to appeal.

Sorry if this post is a bit negative. I have been sitting reading and biting my lip, and thinking I may offend some people. Then I thought, sod it !

Goldensyrup, you live in Spain. You wish to claim DLA from the British tax payers for care that you need on a daily basis, which is what DLA is awarded on. Yet you don't actually state what level of 'care' you require and who provides that care on a daily basis.

Why should you be entitled to Incapacity Benefit if you live in Spain ?

It seems to me, reading between the lines, that somebody is just abusing the system and trying for a little increase in their monthly income !

Sorry if this causes any offence to anyone, but there are people in THIS country that get refused benefits, and then you find out that people living abroad are entitled to them is just a joke !!!

Rant over.

Sorry if this post is a bit negative. I have been sitting reading and biting my lip, and thinking I may offend some people. Then I thought, sod it !

Goldensyrup, you live in Spain. You wish to claim DLA from the British tax payers for care that you need on a daily basis, which is what DLA is awarded on. Yet you don't actually state what level of 'care' you require and who provides that care on a daily basis.

Why should you be entitled to Incapacity Benefit if you live in Spain ?

It seems to me, reading between the lines, that somebody is just abusing the system and trying for a little increase in their monthly income !

Sorry if this causes any offence to anyone, but there are people in THIS country that get refused benefits, and then you find out that people living abroad are entitled to them is just a joke !!!

Rant over.

If you done a bit of research before writing this pretty ignorant reply, then you would find that I am perfecly with-in my rights to export my IB. And just to rub it in a bit further I also receive my Child Tax credits and Child Benefit. And as for your comment about topping up my income, this is my income. I can´t work.

Also regarding DLA. Do you not think that I have gone through all the proper channels. Because my claim is so complicated it has been through the Exportability department, the Policy Department and the DWP lawyers. And it is now awaiting a Trubunal hearing. So why don´t you leave it to the professional to decide if I am entitled to DLA in Spain or not. And did you also not know that people who were in receipt of DLA before they moved to Spain or indeed another EEU country that they have exported their DLA. This is within the law, but obviously you kn ow nothing about it. Just because someone decides to move to another country within the EEU, does not mean that their illness goes away as soon as they set foot of different soil.

I would have elabrated more on why I have claimed for DLA, (which again by-the-way is perfectly legal), but as you seem to have made up your mind, whats the point. For all you know I could have no arms, no legs and be deaf and blind. So don't make assumptions. And just as an after-thought, I could applied and been granted DLA when I lived in UK, but never applied, so I have saved YOU a few quid there.

I think that if you have a problem with people claiming benefits that dont live in the UK, and as you seem to think that benefits are paid by the UK tax payers. Then you should look closer to home and look at all the emigrants that have been let into the UK and are draining the DWP´s resources of money that SHOULD be used for genuine claimants and not people that move to UK just so they can get a 6 bedroom house for free, council tax reduction (if they pay anything at all) and every benefit going.

I am 100% British and have paid into the system all my working life. So you tell me, what does N.I Contributions stand for. Does it not mean NATIONAL INSURANCE. I assume you know what insurance means, if not look it up in the dictionary.

Sounds to me a bit like bitter grapes. Was you turned down for a benefit? The DWP can tell who is GENUINE AND WHO IS NOT. Just because you live in UK does not give you free range to receive every benefit you apply for. Your right, it does sound like SOMEONE tried to top up their income and FAILED. The all-seeing eye of the DWP know who is genuine and who is a sponger.

So if you want to comment further, please educate yourself further with regards to the current Laws and Regulations. Then come back to and I will put you right again.

Hi Golden syrup.

I wish you well in your appeal. It's down to the tribunal now to make their decision. I don't know whether it will be successful; I have come across people who have moved abroad and wish to continue receiving their DLA but never a case where someone has been successful in claiming for the first time from abroad.

There are some lead cases on at the moment which concern people who have had their benefit stopped and reclaimed or requested reinstatement abroad. Other appeals concerning similar issues were suspended pending the outcome of these lead cases, which they expected to be finalised by the end of last month but I've not heard whether they have been completed and haven't read up on them as I've been swamped with other matters. It may be worth your advisor's while looking into this for you.

Furthermore, why should someone who has paid taxes and NI in this country all their lives be exepcted to them sponge off another country's system to which they haven't contributed? :-?

Odds, your post indicates a profound misunderstanding of the way the social care system works in this country. If people have paid in the UK funds all their working lives to pay for other people's pensions, healthcare etc... then where they decide to retire is their business and if they decide to go somewhere where their benefits/pensions get them a better lifestyle, then that should be their absolute right.

Personally, as soon as we can retire, I'd love for us to go somewhere our below breadline pension will allow us to live a lot better!

• Haha 1

Furthermore, why should someone who has paid taxes and NI in this country all their lives be exepcted to them sponge off another country's system to which they haven't contributed? :-?

Odds, your post indicates a profound misunderstanding of the way the social care system works in this country. If people have paid in the UK funds all their working lives to pay for other people's pensions, healthcare etc... then where they decide to retire is their business and if they decide to go somewhere where their benefits/pensions get them a better lifestyle, then that should be their absolute right.

Personally, as soon as we can retire, I'd love for us to go somewhere our below breadline pension will allow us to live a lot better!

WELL SAID

I am only 42 but I am called a Pensioner here in Spain because of my IB.