Urgent Car Insurance Question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Any help with this question would be appreciated,

My father passed away last week and I'm a named driver on his car insurance. I have been driving the car for the last 6 months due to his illness and have been advised I have a 14 day grace period where the insurance still stands with Saga, however after this the policy lapses. He has left the car to me in his will however it will not be executed before the 14 day grace period runs out.

Can i possibly insure the car for a short period if I'm not the registered owner or keeper?

Thanks in advance

Why don't you send the V5 registration document off to DVLA to register yourself as owner and registered keeper. Then arrange Insurance in your name.

You don't have to wait for the will to be executed.

A car is not considered legally in the same way as a house for example, where it is more complicated. There is nothing legally to stop you doing as you wish with the car now.

I had the same issue with my dads car. The solicitor just said, you can do what you want with the car. So we just sold it and divided the proceeds.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi unclebulgaria67,

I will try obtain the V5 doc however as there is some contention within the family I may not be able to get them before the insurance grace period runs out.

If I can't get a hold of them can I obtain insurance until I'm in possession of the V5 docs?

If I can't get a hold of them can I obtain insurance until I'm in possession of the V5 docs?

When you arrange Insurance it is required that you are the registered owner and keeper or are in the process of arranging this with DVLA by sending the V5 to them.

Tell the other member of the family that the current Insurance is due to run out and you need the car documents to arrange Insurance.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Just found this on the confused.com website, it appears the "owner" and "registered keeper" are different, seems like you can insure it as the "registered keeper"

What is the difference between the 'owner' and 'registered keeper'?

There may be a reason for the owner and registered keeper to be different individuals. For example, you may use a car that is owned by someone else in which case you would be the registered keeper. Or you may own a car that you allow your children to use and therefore the registered keeper would be one of your children.

As always please check and double check what myself and other Caggers inform.

If you like my Post please dont be shy give my Scales a little tickle :-)