Is the renewal notice acceptable proof of NCB?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Most insurers seem fine with accepting the renewal notice as proof of NCB but my new insurer won't and is threatening a big increase in premiums. Anyone know where I stand on this? My old insurer is adamant that it is the best they can do so I can't provide more 'proof'. :confused:

All advice appreciated.

Wet Shoulder.

Normally the renewal notice is accepted by your new company as long as it clearly states the number of years NCB they are allowing you. Does your renewal state this? If so I would send a copy again to the new company highlighting the section that states what you are entitled to.

If the new company don't accept this because it doesn't actually say the number of years on it, then your previous company are obliged to provide you with a written statement of your entitlement to NCB.

Normally the renewal notice is accepted by your new company as long as it clearly states the number of years NCB they are allowing you. Does your renewal state this? If so I would send a copy again to the new company highlighting the section that states what you are entitled to.

Yes it does. I can try printing it and sending it with highlighted sections (I got it emailed to me), but they seem to have an issue just with it being a renewal notice. They said:

"This document only shows that you will have 2 years no claims bonus at the time of renewal, this is only a renewal notice, if the previous insurer could give you something in writing that would be more beneficial"

I wasn't sure what the problem was so I replied asking for clarification. Their reply:

"The document is only a renewal invite, not proof of no claims, we would need a proof of no claims certificate, this is just an invite for renewal"

My old company have no idea what they mean by 'proof of no claims certificate' if not the renewal notice.

Regards,

Wet shoulder.

Well that is exactly what I have always provided when moving from company to company and have never had a NCB document rejected like that.

I'd feel inclined to tell them to refund any premiums paid (as they are refusing to accept my business) and be relocating my business directly.

Hang on - they've accepted that you have given them proof of 2 years NCD by way of the renewal. I'm assuming that is what you told them (not 3,4 or 5?). In this case they're being stupid - suggest that if they have doubts to refer to the IH (Insurance Hunter) database, which will confirm your entitlement.

Or as crem suggests, arrange to return your premium in full.

Hang on - they've accepted that you have given them proof of 2 years NCD by way of the renewal. I'm assuming that is what you told them (not 3,4 or 5?). In this case they're being stupid - suggest that if they have doubts to refer to the IH (Insurance Hunter) database, which will confirm your entitlement.

Or as crem suggests, arrange to return your premium in full.

Yes I claimed 2. They said to me that the previous company confirmed only 1 year (I guess that would be via the database you mentioned?) therefore I need to pay up or provide proof.

The previous insurer said definitely 2 when I rang them and provided the document showing 2 by email so I've no idea how the mix-up occured, but perhaps that is why they're being fussy over the proof. Not sure what I can do about it though.

Maybe I could try and put the burdon of proof on them - I have provided a document showing 2 years, so they should provide a document showing 1 if that is what they want to charge me for.... don't think I can just cancel as the policy has been in place over 28 days now.

Regards,

Wet Shoulder.

Edited by wet shoulder
typo

I was speakingf to a friend, were you given a Year 1 'Intoduction' discount?

This is often the case to get the business, but doesn't actually mean there has been 1 year of blameless driving. It could be this they are alluding to. You retain the two years by staying with the same company, but get hit when swapping. This is the most likely reason, unless you can provide details of who provided the Year 1 cover.

I was speakingf to a friend, were you given a Year 1 'Intoduction' discount?

This is often the case to get the business, but doesn't actually mean there has been 1 year of blameless driving. It could be this they are alluding to. You retain the two years by staying with the same company, but get hit when swapping. This is the most likely reason, unless you can provide details of who provided the Year 1 cover.

It was two years with no claims. However, the first year was as a learner (although still in my name on my own car etc) - is it possible that the second insurer accepted this first year's no claims then added one of their own, but present insurer has somehow found out about the first year and will not accept it? And if so, would they ask for proof without saying why?

Regards,

Wet Shoulder.

I know from my Broker that the calculations of how long you have held a FULL licence, and how long you have been driving with one are very relevant, so it may well be this that is causing the error to be thrown up (although at the end of the day, it IS still a NCD and should count).

Move your business!

If they will not accept your proof of NCB then it is they who are rejecting your business, not you rejecting them. It will be irrelevant that you are beyond 28 days because you want to stay with them, but they won't accept your proof.

Demand a full refund or tell them you will refer it to the ombudsman.

Tread warily, however. I'm sure you will rmeember the question 'Have you ever had insurance rerfused for any reason?') This is for the benefit of IH, and all it takes is some stroppy oik to misunderstand and you've a long job to sort out why, as it doesn;t show on th usual searches. Get them to admit they cannot provide the cover promised, NOT that they cannot insure you.

Phew! I think it's over with - spoke to a different adviser this evening and she said it's sorted and confirmed by email. Must have just got a daft one yesterday. Thanks a lot for all the good advice - I guess the Ombudsman or cancellation would have been the only ways to go if they continued dragging their heels.

Hopefully I won't need to bump the thread again!

Many thanks,

Wet shoulder.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually no, the new insurer did have a point. Seeing as a renewal is often sent out up to a month before renewal who was to say you didnt have a claim in the final month of your policy?

In saying that I have never once passed on proof of bonus, everyone of my policies is loaded to pay for the insurance database, each insurer is instructed to do their work themselves or refund me that portion of the policy. As yet none have refused or cancelled the policies.