• Tweets

• Yes, Hotpoint UK has been a subsidiary of Whirlpool for over 20 years. And unlike some domestic goods manufacturers you can buy from them direct and I believe they employ their own service engineers, Is that your situation? You bought direct from Hotpoint and Hotpoint sent out their own engineer?
    • It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Are DCA's REALLY powerless?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5128 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

People on this forum often say things like "debt collectors are powerless, don't worry about them"

OR

"DCA's cannot take you to court, unless you contract with them, either through unconditionally agreeing to pay whilst talking to them on the phone or a written letter with your consent/signature."

Is this really true? Are they really powerless? Is it provable to the point you write a "you're only a DCA, get lost" letter?

I think the point people are making is that DCA's are just chasing for debt by sending standard chaser letters, making scripted phone calls. If you don't pay or admit to the debt, unless they had all the relevant paperwork from the creditor which was enforceable, they would not take it to court. Why would they waste their money and time, when they can sell the debt on?

This is why people challenge the DCA's to see if they have all the correct documents to take it to court. Most of the time they haven't, but people are nervous that they might.

The choice is whether you ignore DCA's or send letters asking them to prove it. Personally I would ignore correspondence, until they advised they were definately going to court. Why waste time and postage!

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I don't know who is saying that DCAs cannot take people to court :confused: They most certainly can, and do :( However, they can only win if they actually have an enforceable agreement, and everything else is in order. However, as that is often not the case, then they are indeed pretty powerless.

I don't know who is saying that DCAs cannot take people to court :confused: They most certainly can, and do :( However, they can only win if they actually have an enforceable agreement, and everything else is in order. However, as that is often not the case, then they are indeed pretty powerless.

Example here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/251379-help-threat-legal-action.html#post2824570

So they're not really powerless then....

I have it on good authority that DCAs purchase hundreds if not thousands of debts at a time for pennies in the pound. Very basic information is supplied to them on Disc. They then send out the first of their chain of letters and I would assume that there will be a certain percentage of these initial letters that will have the desired effect, namely frightening people into making a payment.

Now assume that yields enough cash to clear the amount they paid to obtain all the accounts.

They then move on to their second letter, and frighten a few more people into paying

So now you get the picture - No files on individuals have changed hands but they have already recouped their initial investment.

So when those of us with more knowledge start making requests for more information (which is not on the original disc) they then have to start working to get the information to which we are legally entitled, and this starts eating into their potential profits, so thus we then start getting the mights, cans, may, letters mentioning Court to bring in a few more pennies to cover the cost of obtaining further info as requested.

So the more we challenge, the more work they have to do to satisfy our legal requirements, and they know just as well as us which cases are worth chasing, which cases are possibly worth something, and those which they may just as well sell on to other DCAs. again for pennies in the pound.

• Haha 1

Depends upon ownership

A DCA cannot instigate proceedings as sole beneficiary as they have no cause for action under part 7 unless they have absolute/legal assignment of the alleged debt.

'If' they have absolute assignment they have effectively become the creditor and will be acting correctly.

'If' they are acting on behalf of the original OC then the OC will have to join them in any action brought...... the effect is that the action is brought at the behest of the OC and the DCA is merely acting upon instruction.

The problem tends to lie with drawing a line to determine at what point the DCA has become the assignee (if ever), it is not outside the realms of possibility that a DCA could file claim with no legal cause but with a bulk issued deed to x value which they could sweet talk a DJ into believing included your debt prior to litigation.

In short............. I ignore them :p

Gez

I wouldn't say they were powerless, more toothless simply because they have very little to hand when collecting debts when they were not the original creditor and with creditors seemingly reluctant to pass on much paperwork when selling debts on or farming them out to dca's for collecting then a dca really does not have much to fight with save for issuing rash threats and sometimes intimidating letters to try and bully people into submission and as with all bullies once you stand your ground they soon fade into the background.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

as Gezwee has said you need to understand the difference between a DCA who has bought a debt and one who is simply acting on behalf of a creditor.

A dca acting for a creditor has all the powers that the creditor has, and the creditor is BOUND by the deeds and actions of a dca representing it

My advice in this situation is to always respond to a demand for payment of a debt and not ignore it

keep ALL envelopes of inbound mail attached to the back of their letter and send your replies by getting a (free) proof of posting slip stamped and attach this to the back of your copy letter

If the debt is definately nothing to do with you then a simple "bog off" letter will suffice, as will a response to a SB debt.

as for others i would advise against ignoring ALL letters

letters that are simply further demands or a circular in nature to a previously answered argument can be filed unanswered but you should ALWAYS respond to any new points raised or offers to settle.

with regard to DCA's who have bought or been assigned debts (usually for 10-15p in the pound) - ask yourself why the original creditor would want to sell a debt if they had a valid or strong case to take you to court for repayment

THAT is why DCA's have the reputation of being toothless- because they have often bought unenforceable agreements and are just "trying it on"

Thanks DD. Can you successfully argue privity of contract with them?

I know privity is overruled if there is a term in the contract that states that a DCA can be involved, but I'm thinking in terms of making them prove their right to be involved by showing the contract. i.e. saying "show me the contract that gives you authority to deal with this - or get lost"

I've tried this twice but got no replies, just more form letters.:(

it is extremely unlikely that a company or person would seek to represent a creditor if in fact they had not been instructed by that creditor

the simple and most common sense thing to do would be to write or phone the original creditor to confirm if this company is acting on their behalf

you must think as you would in a game of chess- if this matter ever got to court- where you must persuade a judge that your arguments and evidence are more persuasive that those of your opponent, what do you think will be the judges mindset if your opponent shows evidence of what they will allege to be obstructive and petty behaviour on your part

deal with what matters in a matter of fact firm but polite way and leave the "clever dick" stuff to the clever dicks!! IMO

To be perfectly honest I would never pay a DCA, I will only pay the OC direct, the fact that a DCA may have bought the debt and have the rights to it simply means that the OC has been paid fully for what I owed them, a DCA is simply in it for the profit, so no, they can go play on the motorway, being in debt will not put you in jail, unless it is taxes you owe, so I will quite happily string them along for years!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

To be perfectly honest I would never pay a DCA, I will only pay the OC direct, the fact that a DCA may have bought the debt and have the rights to it simply means that the OC has been paid fully for what I owed them, a DCA is simply in it for the profit, so no, they can go play on the motorway, being in debt will not put you in jail, unless it is taxes you owe, so I will quite happily string them along for years!

That's my point BB, I am only willing to pay the OC, not some dirtbag DCA. Problem is I'm very close to being sued by a DCA and the last thing I want to do is fund something as disgusting as the debt collection industry. Not that I'd defend the banking industry of course:roll:

diddydicky,

I don't deny that the DCA is working for the bank, but I don't want deal with (or worse - pay) the DCA.

That's my point BB, I am only willing to pay the OC, not some dirtbag DCA. Problem is I'm very close to being sued by a DCA and the last thing I want to do is fund something as disgusting as the debt collection industry. Not that I'd defend the banking industry of course:roll:

diddydicky,

I don't deny that the DCA is working for the bank, but I don't want deal with (or worse - pay) the DCA.

only ever close to being sued when the court papers drop through your letter box,presumably the address you live at now ,not one you lived at years ago " hey bryan".

Diddydicky, I would take issue with your comment re always making contact.

It is a personal decision which we must make and i am sure if I had followed this advice, I would be deeper in the mire than I am now.

I have taken many such calculated risks by ignoring letters and have seen 2 DCA's cease sending letters to my address and then send them on to others, one of which was my brother with the same initials.

I have followed the progression of letters as first they enquired, then confirmed my residence at that address by my not replying and then threatened followed by successive deals for early repayment.

One of those accounts is being chased and it is statute barred but i will not break radio silence as I have learned from past mistakes that contact with one is rapidly shared amongst themselves to reveal your whereabouts.

This is just my take on this one issue based on personal experience so please dont take it as an attack on your otherwise very helpful record.

For the record, I only have 2 accounts left out of 7 that are not now statute barred and have made contact with only one of them before...that resulted in the floodgates from hell being opened hence my opinions on this thread.

Of course I will pay you everything you say I owe with no proof.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

It all really depends on what you want to achieve, the extent to which you feel that the other side might succeed in any action against you and your attitude to being chased by and dealing with DCA's for years.

there are so many variables that no one answer will suit all

if you want to "stand on your principles" and not deal with DCA's then that is fine

You are more likely to "do a good deal" on the debt with a DCA than you are with the OC

Most creditors with a sound agreement are not going to give you more than 40%-50% discount for F & F

There are reasons why they sell these debts as they do:-

1/ They are sold in Bulk- not individually

2/ They cannot get the same tax breaks by reducing the debt to the

customer than selling to a DCA

3/ It is not in the interest of major lenders to allow a practice of settling

debts with debtors at low levels to become widespread practice or

common knowledge even if they offer marginally more than they would

get from a DCA

4/ It is more than likely that many creditors actually own the DCA's (at arms length)

Diddydicky, I would take issue with your comment re always making contact.

It is a personal decision which we must make and i am sure if I had followed this advice, I would be deeper in the mire than I am now.

I have taken many such calculated risks by ignoring letters and have seen 2 DCA's cease sending letters to my address and then send them on to others, one of which was my brother with the same initials.

I have followed the progression of letters as first they enquired, then confirmed my residence at that address by my not replying and then threatened followed by successive deals for early repayment.

One of those accounts is being chased and it is statute barred but i will not break radio silence as I have learned from past mistakes that contact with one is rapidly shared amongst themselves to reveal your whereabouts.

This is just my take on this one issue based on personal experience so please dont take it as an attack on your otherwise very helpful record.

For the record, I only have 2 accounts left out of 7 that are not now statute barred and have made contact with only one of them before...that resulted in the floodgates from hell being opened hence my opinions on this thread.

thanks

glad to hear of your success- as you say one size does not fit all

To clarify- my advice with regard to maintaining a record of answering any NEW issues relates ONLY to those debts which you ARE responsible for

Ignoring points that have not been answered,and in particular ignoring offers to settle- however disingenuous they may seem- can come back in court to bite you hard on the bum if you ignore them.

The reforms to the civil court procedures is predicated on parties being able and willing to resolve disputes before they get to court........ i would always advise that should you find yourself in court- that you can rebut any suggestion that you have obfuscated or been obstructive to this process

the "danger" from "hiding" is that the creditor may well get a CCJ at your previous address without your knowledge and unless you can satisfy a court that you made your creditors aware of your new address - you may find getting such orders set aside rather difficult.

indeed, there ARE DCA's who "specialise" in doing this!

Edited by diddydicky