Allied International Credit & RBS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5130 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who recently defaulted on her RBS student account due to being unable to make regular payments to clear the overdraft. The debt was passed on to Allied International Credit who are "acting on behalf of our client to recover the above outstanding balance".

My friend sent out a letter based on template N - "Ask your creditor for a copy of your credit agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974" on the 18th, with the £1 postal order to Allied.

Today she received a letter back from them saying that "As we are currently acting on behalf on RBS Bank in respect of recovering the outstanding debt on this account, we are unable to comply with your request. Such requests need to be addressed to the legal owners of the product, which in this case is RBS Bank"

They also said that she'd have to provide them with the "sort code, account number and enclose a piece of photographic identity with an original signature", along with the £1 postal order.

Is all this right, or are they trying to pull a fast one?

ta,

D.

Edited by digitalantichrist

I think your friend has been misinformed, Overdrafts are not covered by the CCA, so they would have no agreement for such an arrangement.

In the case of an overdraft "the agreement" such as it is may be little more than a letter advising of the terms and conditions of the acoount and the overdraft provision.

So although a CCA request in itself is incorrect, your friend can insist on seeing AIC proving that they have a right to collect the debt, how the amount claimed was arrived at and that they can prove your liability.

If the amount claimed is made up of charges then this opens up an opportunity th reclaim them

Their demand for signature and/or photographic evidence is bowlarks, they have been hapy enough with the identity to send the demands, so surely the same identity will suffice when it comes to your rights.

Since there is no relevent CCA, tha £1 charge doesn't apply.

If nothing else, it shows how little they know about the laws they purport to be operating under.

If push comes to shove you can always offer to substantiate your identity over the counter at your local branch of RBS

excellent reply, many thanks!

My friend had tried to come to an agreement with RBS before the account was defaulted. She had offered to pay £5 a week to bring the account back within her overdraft limits, and to pay off the overdraft once that had done at a similar rate, or greater when the ability arose, but the bank weren't interested, they wanted the whole amount that she was 'overdrawn' by, which was £180, and they wanted the overdraft paid off asap. Being a student, she didn't readily have that kind of cash at hand.

I think that the majority of the debt incurred which drove her over her limit was bank charges, but I'd have to check.