Help please, Car insurance renewal - not at fault down as at fault?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm currently trying to renew my insurance and am having an absolute nightmare.

Basically my insurance brokers sent me a renewal letter saying that my next years insurance was going to be three time as much as last years! This is because in April last year I was involved in an accident where a car went straight into the back of me whilst stationary in a queue, the third party insurers accepted 100% liability (and I have documentation as such) and I was given a payout for my written off car, claimed compensation for the back injury I sustained (which was settled) and as far as I was aware, my insurers were seeking recovery from costs from the other side. Now, my renewal letter has included an accidents details letter which says that I made a claim to the cost of 2500, on ringing my broker I've been told that this accident has been put down as an At Fault claim!

When I went in to discuss this with them and show the proof of third party insurers accepting liability, I was told that it could be that my insurance company are still recoving their costs, and as such - I would have to put down on any form I fill in for an insurance quote that this was an At Fault claim.

Can anyone tell me, is this right? If I put down I'm at fault for a claim where I'm not at fault - my premium will go through the roof and I honestly can't afford it.

I hope I gave enough information there, and hope somebody can help!

Thanks

Until your insurers recover their costs it is a claim.

A no claims discount is exactly what it says on the tin, it is a discount for not making a claim, it is not a discount for not having any no fault accidents, so if you made a claim on your policy, until such time as they recover all of their outlay it will stand as a claim and you will be penalised.

Having said that, if you have recovered your uninured losses (excess, hire car etc) from the other persons insurers then I cannot see why your insurers are taking so long to recover their money.

I'd be tempted to ring the insurers up direct and discuss it with the claims handler

Mossy

Hi Mossy,

Thanks for getting back to me with that info.

I'm not worried about a no claims discount - I didn't have one anyway as I've only been driving for two years and I changed insurers between the first and second and my NCD wasn't protected.

My worry and query is the difference between a 'Non Fault' Claim (which is what I made in April last year) and an 'At Fault' Claim. If I put on an insurance form/ comparison website that I made a 'non-fault' claim (which I did) my insurance is £500, if I put that I made an 'At Fault' (which I'm not, it's only 'At Fault' apparently, because my insurer's haven't got their act together and reclaimed their losses yet from the other side) it apparently rockets up to £1400 - I just don't understand how they can possibly justify this type of increase on an accident which the third party has already confirmed was their insured's fault.

I will definately be ringing my insurers directly on Monday (surprise surprise they're only open 9-5pm Mon-Fri), unfortunately my insurance renewal is up on Wednesday so I doubt it'll get resolved by then...

Thanks for your input

I've just had everything from two "non fault claims" when there were no claims at all, to "malicious damage" when mine failed to claim compensation from the police for me. And a "notification" by I trying to do that and them wanting £130 for it happening how they now say it did!

If it is really because the claim hasn't yet been processed and its a "non fault" why don't you get insurance with a company that only asks for infomation on completed claims and then update it once its done?