dedutions from jsa ..advice needed!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3914 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

:)Hi all

I need some advice I am on JSA and I am a parent. I dont get the full amount as I have a small p/t job so I recieve £74 a fortnight £19 is already being taken off by debt department for an overpayment ..I have tried to get this lowered bit with no luck despite the fact I have sent three letters and have had no reply. Today I have got a letter from DWP wanting to take off yet another £15 a fortnight for a social fund loan which leaves me hardly anything to live on I just dont know what to do It would be near £30 taken off in all

I am happy to pay back but these rates are too high my question is can I offer for example £5 on each per fortnight?

I am struggling so much at the moment what with heating its costing me so much (thats before anything else)I cant even afford to tel them so I have to write and they dont reply

Any advice much appreciated

kind regards

Mags

Hi Mags

Sorry to hear you are struggling. If memory serves you accepted the repayment amount when you accepted the social fund loan.

I am pretty sure you can ask them to reconsider the repayment amount after a while (dont think you can do it straight away), you need to give them a statement saying that although you agreed to the repayment amount you are finding it hard to survive on the remainder of your benefit. My suggestion is to make a detailed list of your incomings and outgoings showing how the repayment rate is putting you in hardship and ask them to reconsider the rate.

It doesnt always work but it certainly wont hurt to ask. I would definately give it a week or two before asking, to show that you have tried to survive but due to your outgoings you are struggling.

Hope that helps.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).