Arnold Clark - Some Help Please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening,

I'm having a bit of bother with Arnold Clark at the moment. I'm in the process of rejecting a car, and it is about to go down the legal route. Lawyer has written to finance company to get finance cancelled and then will look to take AC to court.

I wanted to see if anyone can help me on a couple of points:

Firstly, what exactly am I about to embark on? I have seen the solicitor who has written to Arnold Clark - Even though the letter was addressed to the Managing Director we still have the Customer Service agent come back with the same daft automated type letter that they seem to love! The lawyer knows what she is doing, but from a buyers perspective what is the process like?

Secondly, does anyone know which branch Sir Arnold works from? The reason that I ask is that my solicitor has beaten AC in the past, and advised that previously when sending a letter to Sir Arnold he apparantly sits up and takes notice (I think it has something to do with the fact that he is quite often in my locality).

Appreciate any feedback. Am looking forward to it though, having given AC more than enough time I think it is just shocking that their customer service agents simply don't read letters and their job must consist of opening mail then sending back a letter that simply ignores everything you have raised!! lol.

P.S. If you read this and are thinking about buying a car from Arnold Clark then send me a message and I will give you all the reasons you need not to!!

Auld Arnie, or Al Capone as some of us refer to him, is reputed to hang out at the LEXUS branch somewhere in the middle of Gleskae.

Quote:- "He sits up and takes notice". Well maybe, but you have to get your letter in front of him first!!!!!!! and I understand that aint easy.

Somewhere on the AC Complaints website, it has been quoted that he was visiting a branch one day when a customer went in to complain. The manager said to the customer "well here's the man himself". AC apparently treated the customer abysmally----so maybe thats what they teach at the AC academy?????

PS. AC is not MD, I think he carries the title of chairman. (wonder if thats because of his age???).

There are stories around (again AC complaints website) that AC Ltd. have gone ahead with court cases against the advice of their lawyers,--- with predictable results.

I have heard it said that one of the AC boasts is "We NEVER take a car back".

Would have thought that given the very bad publicity in the Sunday Post recently, they might have curtailed their dreadful handling of dissatisfied customers. But then, can you ever get through to the arrogant?

Edited by scaniaman

Here's hoping that I can change that then! All the evidence is in writing, it's not like I am arguing hearsay, so would very much love for it to go all the way to court if possible.

Thanks for the info about Sir Arnold, will need to see if I can track him down there to see if he wants to do anything. Also have option of speaking to a local family who he has known for years but resisted that so far as don't want to drag more people in!

Anyway, like I said all evidence is clearly in writing and looking online I am not the only one that is going through this rejection process with them. Have found their Glasgow Head Office to be completely untrustworthy, tell customers to do 1 thing then change their minds when it suits them; they simply do not listen to customers at all. I will not give up though, prepared to bit any costs it takes as I will have my day with them!

Guest Arnold Clark Company Rep

Good Morning, I have just read your post and would like to help if I can. I note that you have been dealing with us at Customer Services, I would like to have a personal look at your file and see if I can assist you.

Please e-mail me on [email protected] and I will see if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks

Alasdair

Customer Services Manager

Good Morning, I have just read your post and would like to help if I can. I note that you have been dealing with us at Customer Services, I would like to have a personal look at your file and see if I can assist you.

Please e-mail me on [email protected] and I will see if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks

Alasdair

Hi Alasdair,

I'm sorry, however both myself and my lawyer have sent letter to both the Customer Service Manager and Managing Director and it is still the same Customer Service agent who seems to reply to any correspondence sent.

I've had to go down the legal route as I have had nothing but lies and broken promises from Arnold Clark for months & months now. I've been sent to different garages, been told to have faults confirmed and still get the same agent (R. Kane) sending me a letter back dispite the fact that both myself & my lawyer have sent the evidence to the contrary on numerous occassions.

I didn't chose to go down the legal route deliberately but was left with absolutely no choice as the fact that a Customer Service agent replies to letters sent to the Customer Service Manager & Managing Director demonstrates just how valued Arnold Clark likes their customers to feel.

Unfortunately it may be too late for you to do anything, as I fully intend to recover my full amount paid, as well as legal costs and the cost of a hire car each day until this has been settled. Unless you are able and authorised to pay all these costs I am afraid it is too far down the line for you to help now.

Guest Arnold Clark Company Rep

Hi,

I do at least need to know who you are, so I can at least review the file? Hence my request for you to e-mail, as you would not want to put personal details on here.

If you feel you dont want to pursue this, I am sorry that is the case, however, I am offering help and it is your choice as to what you wish to do.

Thanks

Alasdair

I would think you are possibly going to come a cropper for attempting to add car hire charges to your litigation amount. Courts are wise to this and if often reflects badly on the pursuer as they are seen to be attempting to teach the defender a 'lesson'.

It could be argued if you return the car, you require another, so should buy one. Your fees for hiring a replacement will be looked at (if not dismissed outright) and paperwork will be required to prove that such a hire took place.

Hi Alasdair,

I am happy to contact you if you send me your direct number via private message, however I won't contact you on a general e-mail address as have tried that too many times now.

I would think you are possibly going to come a cropper for attempting to add car hire charges to your litigation amount. Courts are wise to this and if often reflects badly on the pursuer as they are seen to be attempting to teach the defender a 'lesson'.

It could be argued if you return the car, you require another, so should buy one. Your fees for hiring a replacement will be looked at (if not dismissed outright) and paperwork will be required to prove that such a hire took place.

Hiya,

I'm unable to buy another car as still paying finance on this one at the moment. Lawyer has advised to hire a car at cheapest rate possible. Cost would be negligable anyway; I will be seeking damages against them for the stress & inconvenience caused - Not to mention the tons of letters / phone calls etc.

Hello,

I have spoken to Alisdair at Arnold Clark, who kindly sent me his number. He has agreed to look in to the case and come back to me so will let you know what happens. Thank you for taking time to look in to this and I look forward to your reply.

As I said, I have everything in writing so if anything is needed please let me know as I am confident it is all in order.

Thanks

Alasdair

WOW!!!

Well what a turn up!!!

Let's hope Alasdair can do something about this and correct the many of dozens of complaints about AC and the lack of customer service, in fact appalling customer service, lack of after sales technical knowledge. For a chain of Garages to win industry awards for customer service and retailer of the year with so very many complaints I would alledge raises questions about how this was achieved.

If Alasdair can pull this off then he deserves a George Cross because he's going to need it!!

But well done for having a go

WOW!!!

Well what a turn up!!!

Let's hope Alasdair can do something about this and correct the many of dozens of complaints about AC and the lack of customer service, in fact appalling customer service, lack of after sales technical knowledge. For a chain of Garages to win industry awards for customer service and retailer of the year with so very many complaints I would alledge raises questions about how this was achieved.

If Alasdair can pull this off then he deserves a George Cross because he's going to need it!!

But well done for having a go

I gave him a call, and when I gave him my name he knew a bit about the case! He has at least promised to print off and go through the information and come back to me.

Like I said, everything I have is in writing which is why it has surprised me that I had to get a lawyer involved. If he actually looks through the information he will have been the first one to do so and I am pleased that he has at least offered to do so and sounded like he genuinely would.

When I have a reply I will keep you guys posted. In the meantime I have a copy of the letter my lawyer sent back to AC, basically saying that they have failed to look at the evidence sent and therefore the information they were replying with (once again) was completely untrue and they would have known that if they had even had half a look at what has been sent on numerous occassions.

If anyone has any questions about the case, you can PM me as I don't want to put everything on here in case an agreement is reached with them.

Thanks to those that have sent me messages asking what has happened. Just to let you know, Alasdair explained during our conversation last week that there was a lot of information to go through so I haven't heard back as yet, still early days.

In the meantime I have information from the finance company, who are looking in to the evidence - it's very handy having everything in writing!! Lawyer sent letter back to AC's customer services, who again seemed to ignore the cold hard evidence (that is in writing, some of which is even from their own garages)! Some of it is quite comical!

Anyway, will post an update as soon as I have one & thank you all for the messages and advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I just wanted to post a wee update on what's happening; thank you again for all the messages of support! :D

Arnold Clark called again today, and I have sent a list of the amounts that I have paid so far on the car for them to come back to me. From the sounds of things, it seems that they will come back with an offer for me to keep the car; although I am haivng serious reservations about that as I could be stuck with a broken car that I then have to pay repairs for!

Having been all ready to get the court order filed before the intervention here, I thought it best that I let them have a wee look again to see what can be done, however from the conversations I have had it seems that they are desparate for me to keep the car! lol

Still beleive that rejection and court is the best route, I have everything in writing. Under SOGA, they need to prove the car didn't have faults, and given that I have the jobcards from their own garages and all the written evidence I don't think they would have a leg to stand on.

Anyway, will update when I hear what they are going to offer. Have read the BBC report from OFT about 2nd hand car dealers; it seemed quite fitting that it was released as I was getting ready to file a court order! :D

Good luck with this ACSUK.

Please do keep us informed.

I hope your AC contact is as good as his word and I hope he looks around the rest of this forum as there are several people that could do with his intervention.

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I certainly will do mate! Like I said, I think they are trying to negotiate a deal for me to keep the car, however after all the aggro they put me through and all the problems the car has had it would take something special for me to consider touching the car again.

After that whole BBC thing, I think they need someone to put this to court to demonstrate that consumers do have the power when things go wrong. From what I hear, AC don't seem to take cars back and all it takes is 1 person to prove it can be done and the rest will surely follow. :)

Cheers matey!

I will let you know what happens, I have done all that I can; I am happy that someone at AC is having a look at things, however like I said I beleive that they will come back with an offer for me to keep the car which I don't want to do so I do still see this going to court.

At the end of the day, under SOGA, as the car was rejected within 6 months, it is up to AC to prove that the faults weren't there - it's not up to me to prove that they were. With written evidence, and copies of job cards from 2 of their own garages, I don't see any way that they can argue that the faults weren't there and hadn't been fixed in 6 attempts!

My lawyer is ready to file a court action against them, all we are waiting on is AC coming back with what they can do before we proceed. It might take some time and cost money, however as I was always taught when working in Insurance - make sure you get everything in writing, and that I certainly did!! :D

Well, theres a turn up.

AC and Scanmania in the same thread.

Next it will be Polititians telling the truth.

Hammy :)

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

ACSUK, don't you think it's amazing the speed at which Arnold Clark settle our complaints?

Absolutely mate. Although in saying that this chap looking at my case has been the first that has actually listened! He has said he will be coming back with a reply on Tuesday; like I said though I still expect this to go legal!

The main trouble I have had is getting someone to listen; you present people with evidence to make your case as clear as day, yet some still reply with something that has totally gone against the written evidence you have provided! Should people be employed in that capacity if they lack the ability to read the cold hard facts and reply appropriately?

Am looking forward to Tuesday with great anticipation though, have had quite a few people contact me with simelar problems so think they all want this to go to court too so that they will have a precident to follow!

I hope I dont upset anyone by saying this, but a case won in the small claims court dosen't set a precident, unfortuatly. :mad:

That can only happen in high court.

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I hope I dont upset anyone by saying this, but a case won in the small claims court dosen't set a precident, unfortuatly. :mad:

That can only happen in high court.

Lex

Hi Lex,

I understand that, sorry mate, what I meant was that people will follow a case that is successful regardless of the court. If someone manages to win their case, then that will give others the confidence to follow suit. There have been a few people messaging me in simelar positions, I beleive that if they were to see me succeed that they would do the same as I did. :)