Spot the error competition

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sooooooo - Is anyone going to give us the answers to this ...or have I missed something ? :confused:

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If ever there was a certainty on the argument of unfair treatment and dominant behaviour is this:

BBC News - Banks may offer opt-out from unauthorised overdrafts

UTCCR 1999 Reg 5(1) on it's way :cool:

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

When, Oh When? Is somebody going to bring the OFT into the real world ? :mad:

The banks will do nothing that benefits the customer without regulation and legislation ... not airy -fairy 'guidelines' from a body which has shown it's ineptitude over the last two years ......

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Sooooooo - Is anyone going to give us the answers to this ...or have I missed something ? :confused:

aww, c'mon. I was hoping you would have the answers :confused::rolleyes::D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If ever there was a certainty on the argument of unfair treatment and dominant behaviour is this:

BBC News - Banks may offer opt-out from unauthorised overdrafts

UTCCR 1999 Reg 5(1) on it's way :cool:

The FSA said it could not give any details of the banks' emerging proposals for reasons of "commercial confidentiality".

:-o

The account has a monthly price of £15 and because the overdraft limit cannot be exceeded, it carries no unauthorised overdraft charges and no returned item fees.

So how would a direct debit or standing order be denied - with no costs involved - all of a sudden:shock:

Sorry for hijacking your thread Bankfodder, blood boiling :mad:

AA99, it is possible that all banks will run their accounts along those lines in the not too distant future.

It goes to credibility. You cannot state year after year that your charges are fair and reasonable [especially when you repeat it in Court] and then turn round and say that they contribute around 30% to your profits. The banks might have won their case in the Supreme Court, but I should hope that it will be a Pyrrhic victory. How can they go into Court in future and be treated as credible ?

Hi, let me have a stab

Lloyds

They told customers that the charges in fact bear a close relationship to the cost the Bank incurs in providing the requested service. so it costs the bank £35 etc.. to operate this service, presumably with very little profit then.

They told the SC that it exceeds the cost to the bank by a very large margin ( so not close to the cost of the service) because it pays for the cost of running all the other current accounts.

Yorkshire

Counterclaim says that the sum of £2,900 + was an exact loss that the bank had occured from this customer going overdrawn. yet they tell the SC that it is to fund all the current accounts, so the actual loss to the bank could not have been £2,900 + from one single customer.

Abbey

Also say that it is the cost incurred for a breach of contract. The penalty for a breach of contract is the actual loss incurred by the lender. But then Abbey go on to say to the SC that the charges are for the administration of ALL accounts ( with a very large margin), therefore, the charges for breach are not a true estimate of their losses.

Before I go any further, am I getting the right answers?

Edited by xp1

As a thought, doesn't all of the banks stating exactly the same veriabge means they are conspiring against another group - namely customers.

That would probably make them by definition a cartel which I think has been outlawed for a considerable time.

This would even make the nice Dutch minister who got Microsoft to admit it was abusing it's power to let the folks here and in EU realise there was a choice (in web browsers) and Intel/Dell prohibiting 'Free and Fair Competition'.

But the question arises, how much interest can we charge for the £36,000 we all er,:rolleyes: 'lent' the banks recently? Now we'd have to take into account the loss of our individual revenue stream...

How much should we charge for the letter - £80,000 sound proportional?

:lol:

Find something to enjoy every day.

[20190624]

As a thought, doesn't all of the banks stating exactly the same veriabge means they are conspiring against another group - namely customers.

That would probably make them by definition a cartel which I think has been outlawed for a considerable time.

This would even make the nice Dutch minister who got Microsoft to admit it was abusing it's power to let the folks here and in EU realise there was a choice (in web browsers) and Intel/Dell prohibiting 'Free and Fair Competition'.

But the question arises, how much interest can we charge for the £36,000 we all er,:rolleyes: 'lent' the banks recently? Now we'd have to take into account the loss of our individual revenue stream...

How much should we charge for the letter - £80,000 sound proportional?

:lol:

Phew! Now I can see why you've only posted 23 times in 3 years 8-)

7 mistakes in colour below

Our charges are fair and reasonable. They also have said "Though this charge does not have to be reasonable, ...it does in fact bear a close relationship to the cost the Bank incurs in providing the requested service. Obviously that cost goes beyond the price of paper and postage, and includes for example a proportion of the cost of all the systems that are involved once an over-limit situation arises."

The Charges were a genuine pre-estimate of damage. They also said that the charges are "fair having regard to the following matters: (a) the cost to the Bank of maintaining administrative systems relating to unauthorised overdrafts, unpaid cheques and direct debits and abuse of cheque and debit cards for the purpose of keeping the level of overdrawing under review and controlled as far as possible; They have also counterclaimed for £2941.00 charges:- "The costs and expenses incurred by the Defendant and Part 20 Claimant resulting from the Customers' failure to keep within the agreed overdraft limit on the account amount to £2941.00. ... the Bank has suffered loss and damage in the amount of £2941.00.

your charges are based on the extra administrative work incurred by Abbey when, for example, an account has insufficient funds to meet a requested payment. Abbey believes that it is reasonable to make a charge on such an occasion to pass on the costs incurred by the bank and that the charges applied to the account are fair and transparent. They have also said "Abbey must remedy the issues with the account and this incurs expense" Abbey has also said "(... [it] is not accepted) that the charges are greater than Abbey's actual loss in dealing with your account They have also said "The fees reflect and are proportionate to the Defendant's administrative expenses incurred due to the Claimant's breach of contract and are a genuine pre-estimate of the damage suffered by the Defendant.