BankFodder BankFodder

dmb248

Company gone bust Credit Card Company liable as well?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3612 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello All.

Just wondered if anyone could clarify my bthinking over an issue I am having over a company that has gone into administration and the Fees that I paid by Credit Card (who are being awkward!)

I paid a training institution approx £5,700 to gain two diplomas. The money paid was for the full training and qualifications. I gained one in December and last month the company went into adminstration meaning that I cannot finish and gain what I paid for and for me to gain the qualification elsewere is going to cost about £2-3,000. The fees were paid by credit card and the company going into administration means that they are in breach of contract, so am I right in my understanding that under section 75 of the CCA1974 the credit card company are 'jointly and severally liable to the debtor'

Thanks

dmb

As long as it is a credit card and was paid in a single transaction, but be prepared for them to negotiate, as there are no physical goods involved.

Thanks busby

What do you mean by a 'single transaction' as the cost was spread over two cards 1,800 on on and I think 3,600 on another...

The caveats are you can only make one claim by splitting the transaction across two cards leaves wriggle room for one or other of the banks to deny liability, similarly if the same card was used make part-payments, only one will be credited - so it makes sense to select the highest of those.

I agree it is unfair, if liability is established then you would think it to be a formality for them to line up and pay out, but they don't, and every trick is used to minimise their exposure. This is not to say you will have problems, by all means ask - but don't be surprised if you get the response I've detailed.