• Tweets

• ignore stop panicking about a whole nothing burger. 100's of threads here. dx  
    • this is not America, don't keep believing what you see on TV or about the USA means that happens here, it DOES NOT. you won't and they can't use character assassination to try and discredit you nor can they access ANYTHING that is not already in the PUBLIC domain about you. none of which you are fretting about are PUBLIC RECORDS. as for 'being arrested = a criminal record' = untrue. where did you ever get that idea from?? it is not publicly available and is only held on police PNC. and no your details cannot be published in a news paper = same rules apply to you as the accused, in fact even more so. you really do appears to be reading some very weird websites..  
    • Thanks dx and jk.   I'll just ignore them. I did check the advice given in other threads but wanted to be sure that was still relevant to my situation.  Thanks again. Appreciate the support 
    • I've been on this site for eight years and I haven't seen one PPC case where a DCA turned up at the motorist's door. Even if they did they couldn't do anything, but in any case it's never happened. If you read this short thread you will see all the stages of the legal procedure all the way to winning in court, which is highly unlikely to be necessary in your case  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406892-highview-parking-anpr-pcn-claimform-urban-exchange-manchester-claim-dismissed/#comments
    • They upped the quote by £120 in the end, forcing me to go elsewhee
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

How to increase memory ?????

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5149 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need to increase the memory of my PC.

I need help.

i am useless with comps so if you can explain in idiot proof terms.

I have:

manufacturer: Packard Bell imedia b2218 uk

rating: 2.7

processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU E14 @ 2.00GHZ

memory RAM: 1.00 GB

system type: 32 bit OS

Would this be easy to do or can it take it to a computer shop who could upgrade it?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi Ida

DDR2 is the memory you need, searching by the model number. The memory stick is quite easy to replace.

There are instructions here:

Computer Memory, Computer Memory Upgrade - An Install Guide On How To Add Or Upgrade Computer Memory (RAM) - A My Super PC Affiliate

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Im not sure how many 'slots' for memory your motherboard has, but you find it cheaper to upgrade to 4 x 512 = 2gb or maybe another 1 gb stick if your pc already has 1gb instead of buying a pricey 2gb stick.

A great free program to get is Belarc Advisor, download a copy and you can run it and post the results here, it shows how many slots there are and what memory is in them.

Andy

Hello Ida!

Kingston's Web Site used to be very good, i.e. search on your PC, and it should come up with details of what Memory will fit. It also used to give a little more detail, as in Kingston Part Number, and Manufacturer's Part Number for the RAM.

IOW, once you know how many slots it has, and what Memory it takes, then you can shop around.

Google it, and I think it's their name dot com.

I suspect yours will be pretty standard and common, so there should not be any issues with the MotherBoard (MoBo) needing Matched Pairs of Memory.

Cheers,

BRW

Also try Ebuyer.com, they are good as well. .

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I have a laptop that has only 512mb memory. Can I buy a pen drive or something (without taking the laptop apart), to make mine faster. I could be in the middle of doing something and then my virus database or something will start automatically. Then I can't do anything until it's finished.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

thanks guys

does this help?

Operating System System ModelWindows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2 (build 6002)

Install Language: English (United States)

System Locale: English (United Kingdom) Packard Bell BV IMEDIA B2218 UK PTU050Y016

System Serial Number: PTU050Y016918061999000

Chassis Serial Number: 50424E

Enclosure Type: DesktopProcessor a Main Circuit Board b2.00 gigahertz Intel Celeron

64 kilobyte primary memory cache

512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (2 total)

Not hyper-threaded Board: Packard Bell BV MCP73VT-PM 1.0

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. PBDV10.P18 09/10/2008Drives Memory Modules c,d146.08 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

101.07 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]

Hitachi HDT721016SLA SCSI Disk Device (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, SMART Status: Healthy 768 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB (serial number SerNum00)

Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty Local Drive Volumes c: (NTFS on drive 0)146.08 GB101.07 GB free Network Drives None detectedUsers (mouse over user name for details) Printerslocal user accountslast logontrans.gif ida07/03/2010 10:39:56(admin)local system accountsno.gif Administrator30/04/2009 18:41:47(admin)no.gif Guestnever

no.gif Marks a disabled account; lock.gif Marks a locked account Lexmark 1200 Serieson USB001Microsoft XPS Document Writeron XPSPort:Send To Microsoft OneNote Driveron Send To Microsoft OneNote Port:

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Hello Ida!

Doing a search on Google UK (Packard Bell BV IMEDIA B2218 ) finds your machine in a few places, so the specs seem to be readily available, here's one:

Product MPN

MPN PT.U050Y.016

Key Features

Processor Intel Celeron 2 GHz

Installed Memory 1 GB (DDR2 SDRAM)

Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home

HDD Size 160 GB

Optical Drive Type DVD-ROM • DVD Burner • DVD-Dual Layer Burner • CD-ROM • CD Burner

Recommended Use Home Use

Processor

Processor Number E1400

Processor Type Intel Celeron

Processor Speed 2 GHz

Processor Manufacturer Intel Socket Type Socket LGA775

Motherboard

Bus Speed 800 MHz

Memory

RAM Technology DDR2 SDRAM

Installed RAM 1 GB

Installed Video Memory 256 MB

Installed Cache Memory 4 MB

Technical Features

Integrated Input/Output Ports USB 2.0 x 6 • PS/2 Mouse x 1 • PS/2 Keyboard x 1 • FireWire (IEEE1394a) x 1

Hard Drive

Hard Drive Capacity 160 GB

Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA

Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7,200 RPM

Controller Type Serial ATA

CD / DVD

Optical Drive Type DVD±RW Dual Layer

Audio / Video

Graphic Processor NVIDIA GeForce 7050

Video Out Ports 15 Pin D-Sub VGA port x 1

Audio Input Microphone Jack • 1 x Line In Audio Output Type Sound Card • Headphones • Line out Integrated Audio Realtek ALC888

Miscellaneous

Exterior Color Black

OS Certified Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic

Product ID 87723891

Family Line Packard Bell iMedia

Your PC uses DDR2 SDRAM, and has 1GB fitted, and 1x slot free.

You can go to 4GB. The MotherBoard (MoBo) will allow up to 8GB to be fitted, but there is no point going over 4GB because most 32 bit Windows Operating Systems cannot use that much (64 bit can, but that's another world). IOW, 8GB can live in the machine, but 32 bit Windows will not see more than 4GB.

I'd say another 1GB would make a big difference, or go for +2GB or even +3GB if budget allows.

I note you have the Language set to US English, maybe change that to UK English via the Regional Settings...just keep clicking, and swap to UK English when ever you see US English!

But do a Google search, and I am sure you will see what I mean, plenty of specs and also people selling RAM. Once you see what is out there, then check out places like eBay, to see what's cooking there.

Finally, don't forget basic house keeping, such as running a Disk Clean Up once a week to delete temporary junk (keep System set-up files), and also run a Disk De-fragmentation run via Accessories > System Tools once every couple of weeks. Also, keep an eye on how much free space is on your C:\ drive, because the Operating System needs space to work. If the C:\ gets low on free space, the machine will crawl.

Finally, I'd remove any software you don't use, and switch to Firefox as a Web Browser, it's far faster than Internet Explorer, and seems to work much better with Forum Software such as used by CAG.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Typo

hi brw.. sorry mate, but a 32bit edition of windows will only recognise a maximum of 3.2gb, and not 4gb.

ida.. whilst your searching, check out aria, and micro direct for costings. If you can get back to me with the prices, please let me know, as being a pc trader etc, I get discounts off my suppliers, and will gladly pass any discount over to you if needed.

Also, re the housekeeping, theres a few really good programs, you can download for free.. Simply google for CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials. For a free antivirus / firewall package, I recommend Comodo. It isnt a syystem hog, runs when you want it too, and its what I install on all pc's that come into my workshop.

If you get stuck, holler, and we'll see what we can sort for you.

hope this helps

be safe

jgg :)

hi brw.. sorry mate, but a 32bit edition of windows will only recognise a maximum of 3.2gb, and not 4gb.
Well, it depends on the version of 32 bit Windows:

Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems

The accepted rule, i.e. to keep things simple, is just to say that 32 bit Windows has a 4GB Physical Memory limit. So, I mentioned that to stop Ida thinking it was worth adding, say, a 2nd Stick of 4GB to add to her existing 1GB Stick (making 5GB in total) ...because her PC would not see beyond 4GB.

I pointed this out because RAM is not that expensive these days, and many think they can cram 8GB+ in their PCs, then are disappointed when they find they are only getting the benefit of 4GB.

Cheers,

BRW

• Haha 1

im with you on that one brw, and agree totally. i get that all the time, with customers wanting to increase their ram, for say 1gb to 6gb+, all because they have checked the spec of their pc, or spoken to the pb pc guy.. who said yes its possible etc..

they want it installing, but they also have 32bit windows, and wont take no for a answer, when i tell them the above. Most of them, im happy to say, go along with me, and order a 64bit edition of their os. Which after a thorough reboot, are more then happy with the results, and a top notch pc.

But I totally agree with what your saying.. good advice, and a click on your scales will be done in a few :)

take care for now

be safe

jgg :)

I like this site (commercial link do moderate it if you need to Ida :p)

Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - About Crucial:Media Toolbox

Tells you what you need, and then sells it to ya at an OK (not the best) price!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 2 weeks later...

ok got it froma and fitted done at the local shop..... cheaper than what i could actually get it for ........

i got because of

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/technical-computer-console-satnav/235671-some-help-please.html

and guess what :mad: its still freezing

ha ha fooled you lot !

was using IE...now wentr back to firefox and no freezing yipeee..........

now addicted to farmville :mad:

I have a laptop that has only 512mb memory. Can I buy a pen drive or something (without taking the laptop apart)' date=' to make mine faster. I could be in the middle of doing something and then my virus database or something will start automatically. Then I can't do anything until it's finished.[/quote']

Windows 7 and I believe Vista too has a feature that enables you to use a USB stick as extra memory however there are only a limited amount of USB sticks that are compatible with this feature and they tend to be a bit pricier.

Andy

Thanks andy, seems like we are following each other around this morning. A fellow Cagger (very nice man) supplied me with another 512mb RAM card and it was really easy to install. The difference in my laptop is amazing. It only takes a minute now to start up all my programs. Used to have to wait about ten minutes.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Although the OP's issue has been solved, you might like to know that if you visit crucial memory - RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com you can download a small piece of software which scans your system and tells you exactly what your computer can take.

Also, I've always found the memory from crucial is always well priced and their delivery is very fast.

I even had to use their lifetime guarantee once - about 3 years after I had boght some memory and they honoured it - no problems. I didn't need a receipt. I just told them the serial numbers from the memory and they had it all logged.