JCP and disability adjustment

mikejgk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5130 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Wonder if anyone has any input on this? I am receiving IS for mental health problems. I had lots of problems communicating as I cannot use the phone. After a lot of hassle, JCP agreed last year to give me an email link to a customer service officer at the relevant office to make enquiries. I don't use it too much, just when things go wrong - like letters they say they have not received etc. This was supposed to be a reasonable adjustment to help with my condition to fulfil their duty under DDA and disability equality duty. It has been going quite well, as they cannot use the usual excuses about not getting letters. Anyway, I made a couple of enquiries this last week. Then the office manager said today he has been told by the London security manager they cannot send out any emails or faxes to external people where details of someon'e claim could be identified. They could either use telephone or post (which I have found takes at least a week, so no good for urgent matters). But why is phone or post any safer than email? I think this is just trying to wriggle out of their commitment on vague security grounds. It seems a bit of a coincidence. Seems a bit fishy to me. Has anyone else come across this? It just seems like using "security" as a convenient excuse for getting round providing a proper service to me.

It is correct that emails with DWP are only to be used for internal queries for security purposes. This has always been the case, however security are slamming down on it recently because there are several incidences where the security policy is not being adhered to in relation to communications. Emails can only be sent to a DWP generic address that are specific to the purpose, however DWP employees are not permitted to respond by email, particularly where the information is of a restictive nature.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Erika is correct. We are not permitted to use email (outside of the Government Secure Intranet - basically, email addresses ending gsi.gov.uk) to discuss details of customers and their claims.

Email is less secure than phones or post because of the way such messages are transmitted. The process can create multiple copies of a message on many servers across the world, and of course, most of these servers are not under the control of the DWP. There's no way, therefore, to guarantee the security of any given email message.

This isn't the case with post or phone calls - your regular mail, for example, isn't copied and stored at multiple locations on its way to the DWP office.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Only just caught up with this, but thanks for the interesting point. Actually the agreement was to at least confirm my emails had been received and action being taken, which would not involve any confidential details. Also on matters such as med certs missing, all that is required is to say yes, we are searching or we have located it - which is not giving much away. In any event email tech is now so entrenched surely it is time for the dwp and other government offices to get into the 21 century and use encryption. I understand your rationale and why that may (probably for economic reasons) be the policy but in truth it no longer holds water.