style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically, I'm just picking myself up after a long period of unemployment, a period of which i was off sick. I've got about £4000 worth of debts. I've tried CCCS but theyve said theyd phone me 4 times and still haven't, so I've taken it as a sign to try and sort out my own life. I'm working now and living in Italy. One of my debts is for £1019 to Dell for a laptop which should have cost £500 had I paid for it quickly. As it happens after I bought it I hit a bout of unemployment and never paid a penny. Now they want the full 36 months worth at double the price of the computer. Fact is, they don't know where I am, but I'm feeling a niggling desire to sort out my past debts, and wondered what I should do about this one. The way the world tries to rip us off, I really don't feel like paying over a grand for a laptop that should have cost £500, especially when it needs a new motherboard after 2 year. What legs do I have to stand on :confused: ?

Guest Old_andrew2018

Bump moves a post up the list, in the hope that someone will be able to advise.

Bring

Up

My

The question you posted asking what "bump" refers too, did exactly the same in that for a time your thread is at the top of this forum.

Looking closely at your thread, it appears there are two issues first is what appears to be penalty charges levied by DELL, so you could ask how they came to this figure.

Secondly paying off creditors, if you look at free the DMP's, they are CCCS or payplan, if need advice on them you will find experts here, also look at Debt Questions, one of their experts SIMON WIGGINS has vast expertise in this field, follow this link to the site Debt Questions? Forum

Andy

Edited by old_andrew2007
corrections

Hi Andy, I received this reply from Simon Wiggins:

I must say, I was a bit shocked at his mention of 'jail time'. Is this a shock or scare tactic? I can't imagine having to go to jail for a civil matter? What do you think?

I would however point out that the non-payment of debts in the UK is usually a civil matter and as such there are no issues re returning or leaving the UK with unpaid debt. You are therefore not going to have any difficulties re getting through UK airports either way. I would also comment that if this was the main reason for leaving that you have up until the point that you have lived abroad for 3 years to return to the UK and use UK insolvency law to wipe your debts out once and for all. Many hundreds of people return to London each year, apply to be made bankrupt, wipe their debt out and then fly out again back to their lives abroad but critically debt free. This is an option still open to you and would avoid you being traced and the debts sold to local firms in countries with potentially far more draconian debt remedies than the UK's some of which still include jail time. So in the vast majority of cases non payment and then moving abroad only delays matters not gets rid of any recovery action against the debtor Your choice is therefore to wait until they locate you and then either sell the debt to a local company in its entirety in which case the Italian legal system would be open to them or you deal with them under UK law which is often far easier to do. So if it was me I would use the opportunity to sort the mess out and free myself of the debt nightmare you left the UK . Raising the £510 fee though will of course pose a barrier but that’s a good swap for all that you now owe and the end to having to look over your shoulder until your traced. Finally if you choose to do this you can only proceed in the high court offices in the strand in London because of the time you have lived abroad not as per usual in a local county court.

Hi, Steve E.

I'm going to move this thread to a more appropriate Forum, where hopefully you'll get more help.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Because you are in the EU there are reciprocal agreements in place see; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/overseas-debt/250889-can-i-sued-overseas.html but because your agreement is covered by CCA 1974 and it will stipulate that it will be governed by UK law they will have to obtain a CCJ against you here, something they cannot do if you are a non-UK resident. Even if they had you could get it set-aside see; County Court Claims and County Court Judgments (CCJs) : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

It would not be cost effective for them to pursue through the Italian courts although a 'local' debt collector may chance their luck.

Thanks cerberusalert.

Have you ever heard of Dell negotiating on a debt, or accepting a reduced offer?

I may be in Vietnam from September for a year or two. Is it worth telling my creditors I've left the UK, or give them an address at all? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Have you ever heard of Dell negotiating on a debt, or accepting a reduced offer?
I don't know to be honest.

I may be in Vietnam from September for a year or two. Is it worth telling my creditors I've left the UK, or give them an address at all?
There is no legal requirement for you to inform anyone of your whereabouts. ;)

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi steve

Jail Term in the comment from Simon refers to other countries rather than in the UK

Edited by old_andrew2007