• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HSBC Loan PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4665 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So section 69 interest then I imagine so I can see no reason why it shouldn't be small claims.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

posts 105 + 106

as long as you have made this clear

let them conitinue to frighten you.

thats all it is

dx

As DX has quoted above the s 32c limitation act needed to be in your POC, also have you quoted the case law for this: Kleinwort Benson -v- Lincoln City Council & Others in your statement ?

S.

These were in my witness statement

HSBC - Pre Lim sent 12-12-06, LBA sent 27-12-06, reissued 5-1-07. Part offer rejected 17-1-07, MCOL 19-1-07, AQ - 21-2-07. Settled

Nationwide - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Pre lim sent 5-1-07, LBA sent 19-1-07, MCOL 2-2-07, WON 22-2-07.

Capital One - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Pre lim sent 17-1-07, LBA sent. Settled

MBNA - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Offer rejected 19-1-07, Pre Lim 19-1-07, LBA sent, Setteled 21-2-07.

MBNA Loan PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, Settled.

MBNA CC PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, WON 2-7-10.

HSBC PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, with Court

EGG PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, FOS upheld 3-7-10

:whoo:

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

think they are just trying to confuse and frighten you..

ppi is 6yrs from when you 'became aware' as sec 32c

also this has been pointed out elsewhere too:

I would consider adding section 14a as well. That gives you three years after you had enough knowledge to commence a court action, with a 15 year back up time limit.

14A Special time limit for negligence actions where facts relevant to cause of action are not known at date of accrual.E+W

(1)This section applies to any action for damages for negligence, other than one to which section 11 of this Act applies, where the starting date for reckoning the period of limitation under subsection (4)(b) below falls after the date on which the cause of action accrued.

(2)Section 2 of this Act shall not apply to an action to which this section applies.

(3)An action to which this section applies shall not be brought after the expiration of the period applicable in accordance with subsection (4) below.

(4)That period is either—

(a)six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued; or

(b)three years from the starting date as defined by subsection (5) below, if that period expires later than the period mentioned in paragraph (a) above.

(5)For the purposes of this section, the starting date for reckoning the period of limitation under subsection (4)(b) above is the earliest date on which the plaintiff or any person in whom the cause of action was vested before him first had both the knowledge required for bringing an action for damages in respect of the relevant damage and a right to bring such an action.

(6)In subsection (5) above “the knowledge required for bringing an action for damages in respect of the relevant damage” means knowledge both—

(a)of the material facts about the damage in respect of which damages are claimed; and

(b)of the other facts relevant to the current action mentioned in subsection (8-) below.

(7)For the purposes of subsection (6)(a) above, the material facts about the damage are such facts about the damage as would lead a reasonable person who had suffered such damage to consider it sufficiently serious to justify his instituting proceedings for damages against a defendant who did not dispute liability and was able to satisfy a judgment.

(8-)The other facts referred to in subsection (6)(b) above are—

(a)that the damage was attributable in whole or in part to the act or omission which is alleged to constitute negligence; and

(b)the identity of the defendant; and

©if it is alleged that the act or omission was that of a person other than the defendant, the identity of that person and the additional facts supporting the bringing of an action against the defendant.

(9)Knowledge that any acts or omissions did or did not, as a matter of law, involve negligence is irrelevant for the purposes of subsection (5) above.

(10)For the purposes of this section a person’s knowledge includes knowledge which he might reasonably have been expected to acquire—

(a)from facts observable or ascertainable by him; or

(b)from facts ascertainable by him with the help of appropriate expert advice which it is reasonable for him to seek;

but a person shall not be taken by virtue of this subsection to have knowledge of a fact ascertainable only with the help of expert advice so long as he has taken all reasonable steps to obtain (and, where appropriate, to act on) that advice.

Linky:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you

HSBC - Pre Lim sent 12-12-06, LBA sent 27-12-06, reissued 5-1-07. Part offer rejected 17-1-07, MCOL 19-1-07, AQ - 21-2-07. Settled

Nationwide - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Pre lim sent 5-1-07, LBA sent 19-1-07, MCOL 2-2-07, WON 22-2-07.

MBNA - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Offer rejected 19-1-07, Pre Lim 19-1-07, LBA sent, Setteled 21-2-07.

update -

Received an appliaction for the case to be struck out from the court with their witness statement attached. (Note they missed the courts deadline for submitting the witness statement).

No response to the letter I sent to the court.

Rang the court and they didn't really say much.

There is now a hearing for this bit in June.

The want it struck off due to limitations act and all their costs to be PAID BY ME. WTF?

I think its out of order that the bank/solicitor can act like this and get away with it.

I have a bad feeling about this.

dx gave you information regarding the limitiation act a while back didnt he ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

quick update, going to court on Monday on the limitation act bit.

see if they turn up this time.....

Went to court today for the hearing to decide if to strike out my claim, just about to walk in and was approached by HSBC legal man and he asked if I had received their Skeleton Argument? I hadn't so he gave me a copy, excellent, no time to read it and in we go..

This was it:

DEFENDANT'S SKELETON ARGUMENT

FOR HEARING ON 13 JUNE 2011

Suggested pre-reading (15 mins):

• Statements of case
  • Witness statement of Daniel Chumbley in support of D 's application
  • Witness statement of C in opposition to D's application

Introduction

1. This is D's skeleton argument for its application (dated 15 March 2011) for

C's claim to be struck out or for summary judgment.

2. In summary, C has no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim because it is

statute barred. The claim relates to a payment protection insurance (PPI')

Policy that C held in respect of a loan that was both entered into and repaid

more than six years before these proceedings were issued (2 June 2010).

C's claim

3. C has held two fixed sum credit agreements with D:

3.1. A loan entered into on 12 April 2001 and repaid in full on 19

December 2001 ('the First Loan').

moose v HSBC

3.2. A loan entered into on 19 December 2001 and repaid in full on 23

June 2004 ('the Second Loan,).

4. C entered into a PPI policy in respect of the First Loan, but not the Second

Loan.

5. The principal allegation in C's claim is that he was told that the PPI policy in

respect of the First Loan was 'absolutely necessary in order to proceed to

obtain the associated credit' when it was not. Although the particulars

include other allegations, his core claim is for damages for misrepresentation.

6. It is D's case that C would have been made aware at the time that the PPI

policy was optional and not a requirement for the loan.

C's claim is bound to fail

7. The Limitation Act 1980 provides:

2 Time limit for actions founded on tort

An action founded on tort shall not be brought after the

expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of

action accrued. ..

5 Time limit for actions founded on simple contract

An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought

after the expiration of six years from the date on which the

cause of action accrued.

8. The limitation period applicable to an ordinary misrepresentation claim is

accordingly six years after the cause of action accrued. This would have been

when the representation had been made and C entered into the PPI agreement.

9. The cause of action therefore accrued on 12 April 2001.

C appears to accept that, under the usual time limits, his claim would be

statute barred. He instead relies upon the postponement of the limitation

period under s.32 of the Limitation Act 1980 on the grounds of alleged

concealment.' This section provides:

32 Postponement of limitation period in case offraud,

concealment or mistake

(1) Subject to [subsections (3) and (4A)] below, where in

the case of any action for which a period of limitation is

prescribed by this Act, either-

(a) the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant;

or

(b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has

been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant; or

© the action is for relief from the consequences of a

mistake;

the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the

plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake

(as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence

have discovered it.

References in this subsection to the defendant include

references to the defendant's agent and to any person

through whom the defendant claims and his agent.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) above, deliberate

commission of a breach of duty in circumstances in which it

is unlikely to be discovered for some time amounts to

deliberate concealment of the facts involved in that breach

of duty.

10. C's claim does not fall within this section. Even assuming, for the purposes of

this application, that D's agent did tell C that he was required to take out the

PPI Policy, there was no further concealment by D. C could, with reasonable

diligence, have determined, from the documents that were provided to him

when he took out the PPI Policy, that that policy was optional:

10.1. He signed a 'creditor protection declaration' which provided that

I have decided to take loan protection.

I have received a copy of the loan protection policy

document.

I am aware of the eligibility criteria, terms and

conditions and exclusions applicable to the policy.

10.2. The credit agreement itself provided: 'I/We have decided to take

Personal Loan Protection'

10.3. The terms and conditions ofthe PPI Policy made clear that he

could terminate the Policy within 30 days of opening it, without the

loan also being cancelled. The introduction provided:

If you decide you do not want this protection,

please return this policy document to your HSBC

Bank within 30 days of receiving it. If you have not

made a claim during those 30 days, we will cancel

the cover and refund any premium you have paid.

11. Further or alternatively, at the very latest, C could have determined that the

PPI policy in respect of the First Loan was optional when he entered into the

Second Loan agreement (19 December 2001), which was still over six years

before he issued this claim. He did not enter into a PPI agreement in respect of

this loan.

12. It is further to be noted that in his witness statement C does not put forward

any case as to when he could, with reasonable diligence, have discovered the

alleged misrepresentation.

Conclusion

13. C's claim was issued over six years after the accrual of cause of action he now relies. The limitation period has not been postponed. The claim is therefore

statute barred and should be struck out.

So in the end the judge was really not happy with them and the fact they had only given this to me there and then, and also they had not followed the previous directions from the judge and not submitted their witness statement, yet they got let off and was told to submit it within the next 2 weeks.

Argued about it being a mistake etc.

Not stuck out either way and case adjurned to July.....(which was the main court hearing date anyway)

The judge said that the full day would be required in court.

another letter received today from HSBC, a schedule listing their costs which they are claiming from me at £2500.00, and this is meant to be small claims court?

Ok,first of all,it is extremely unlikely that these costs would be awarded.

Have they broken down the figures ?

They appear to be saying that you could have reasonably discovered any mistake back in 2001.

Well the same can be said of the 10s of 1000s of customers who are now being refunded PPI from an industry that has admitted the policies were flawed,yet only became aware of that after the OFT took them to Court.

They should be using a local Solicitor to deal too.

Let us know where this 2.5k comes from.

This is intimidation.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Also-did you provide any supporting case law in support of limitation -for example the judgement from Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council ?

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Also-did you provide any supporting case law in support of limitation -for example the judgement from Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council ?

this was in my witness statement, but they missed the deadline with theirs, so they applied to strike out my claim instead, which the court heard yesterday. so the above case didn't get raised.

The costs are broken down @ £100 per hour for their timeplus letters and phone calls at 10 each.most of the costs were for the striking out.They had applied for judge to order these, but this was declined.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Witness statement received from HSBC today. This was signed by an employee of hsbc who worked in my branch at the time of the loan was taken out, but now works at a different branch. Thing is that it didn't happen at that branch but at a branch near where I worked!

anyway, court date is end of july, and I think there is no way they will settle before court, they will be fighting this all the way, so a word of warning to others fighting against HSBC, they are no push overs, and be prepared to go all the way with them. In hindsight, I wouldn't have done this if I knew how much work and money it was going to cost me, and I only took it on after mbna paid out so easily on a different loan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Moose. Just having a catch up. Can you confirm that this has been allocated to small claims?

yep small claims as was for 3k, but HSBC were trying to claim their costs from me.

Court monday for the main hearing.

yep small claims as was for 3k, but HSBC were trying to claim their costs from me.

Naughty naughty. I hope you get the chance to make the judge aware of this.

Court monday for the main hearing.

Good luck with that. Goes without saying, feel free to post if you want any help over the weekend.

Some excellent advice on preparing for court here. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?163425-Re-Me-vs-MBNA-court-case-looming-help-please-**DISCONTINUED**&p=2171582&viewfull=1#post2171582

just had a letter this morning with their costs of 7k that they say they will recover if they win. Can they do this?

they have also sent 3 past cases in high court about failed mis selling claims, all about misrepresentation.

these are:

black horse ltd v david and caroline speak

barry robinson soulsby v firstplus financial group

observations by judge waksman qc in Manchester county court

HELP!!

Have they made any offers to settle at all?

Nothing, they are fighting all the way