Interview with Compliance Officer

mrspinkpaws
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone. After reading hours of posts I decided to join to ask my own question , hopefully get a clearer picture, not fret so much and hopefully when I have come out the other end to be able to help others on here.

I will try not to waffle. Here goes.....I disabled, have been for 20 years, my condition will not get better and I will not be able to return to work. I am divorced (5 years) have a 'boyfriend' but he has never been inside my house. He stays at a local hotel,for 1 night every other weekend... othertimes I spend a a day or night at his house 75 miles away. Its not serious, I dont want that (cant get hurt that way). I privately rent my house, I am in reciept of DLA. INCAP. IS & Housing benefit, not the full amount HB, its a postcode thing apparently. I have a carer which is on the direct payments scheme..I only had a review for that last month, the lady who visited my house agreed I still need it and its been awarded again.

I had what seems to be a bog standard letter from Compliance at the local Jobseekers office. I had to call IMMEDIATELY if I couldn't make it, so I called and left a message that I could not attend on that day as it was the same day as a hospital appointment.

They have called back and I am going in next week.

When they called I asked if this was to do with a 2 recent identity problems because both of which have been resolved I have been in and shown them I am who I say I am, that it had been explained as a clerical error when entering data on their system................." No she said, its not that .....there has been an alligation made against you"

I was calm, as I have done nothing, got nothing to hide....."What am I meant to have done wrong".....They replied...."I would like to point out that I am calling in a Compliance capacity not fraud"

I asked if it was anything to do with a recent sum of money being paid into my account from Income Support back pay...I am aware it takes me over the savings allowance that he very people who paid it to me had then told me I would have my benefits stopped if it was left in there..I explained that I have drawn it out, but have not spent it and can get my hands on it in 5 minutes (my brother is looking after it, he has a little safe in his wardrobe).........." No its not that, I have notes on that" (They had actually said a few times they were not at a pc and didnt have my notes?)

She then fired a question as quick as a bullet.."How many bank accounts do you have" I told her about the three I have 3, all at the same bank..One for rent to be paid in and only that (so I never spend it by mistake) One for my benefits to go in and bills to out of and the other being for the care direct payments which is only ever to be used for that reason, a requirement by the dept who pay me. The money goes in...everytime I pay a carer I have a reciept to show where the money has been paid to. I then told them about the award being reviewed..They asked for me to bring that in......." anything else" I asked...Yes all your bank statements, I want to see that your benefits are going in and where the monies are going..all 3 please" No problem, I will.

Another random question."so whats wrong with you, i dont have my notes"

I told her, I also told her I had a recent letter from my GP that could confirm this, "bring that too" she said.

I then said.." I guess someone must have told you Im not disabled...I get that a lot, because unless its a day where I use an aid to walk my disablities are invisable"? They didnt comment but just said if I was having a bad day when it was my appointmet to phone in and they would just another.

They said the reason we have the interview is because we dont discuss things over the phone.

I'm at a loss what it could be? If it's not security, questioning my disabilty what is it...what alligation could it be?

Can other dwp departments make an "Alligation" to another maybe?

I ask that because I recently phoned all three and went through a senario with them.

My ex husband had asked if I would consider selling him the pension (his) I was awarded at the divorce court. he offered 2 lump sums, 1 now and one in 2020 when the pension is due to paid out......................I asked them to do 2 forecasts for 2020...one on benefits with a lump sum, the other no lump sum and a private pension. They were very kind and helpfull. Worked it all out for me. I decded I would rather keep the pension, come off benefits and be able to support my self.

I am just wondering if one of these department assumed I was about to take a lump sum of ex and havent declared it, or even worse hidden it somewhere!!! One phone call/letter will proove the pension is and has to stay with the pension company until 2020 unless I go to court and have the award overturned.

Failing that, it could be a woman I used to be friends with. For some reason, the fact I am disabled, in pain and generaly have a dull life I wouldnt wish on anyone, she is jealous of me. I recently had an op on my upper back/neck, the consultant adviced me to change my car to automatic, which I have done. Its motabilty..apparently this ex friend is not happy about me having a new car!

Anyone got an ideas what it can be about??? Plus what exactly happens at these interviews (given what I have told you) nowhere on the letter does it mention under caution, nor was it mentioned on the phone.

Because of what I read on here I'm expecting a smiling axe woman who is going to do everything to stop my benefits. :(

I'm just so worried the ex friend has said something terrible about me that I will have no way of proving her alligations are unfounded.

Any advice on the interview/thoughts on what it could be about (remembering theres been an alligation made) I would be very grateful for.

Edited by mrspinkpaws

Hi mrspinkpaws.

I'm sure you'll attract better advice soon. However, don't fret about this too much. They won't tell you until the time you see them, you'll only drive yourself mad trying to guess what it's about. Infuriating, I know.

You do sound pretty well organised. If you just take whatever bits and bobs you think you'll need I'm sure the matter will be resolved in no time.

Best wishes.

Rae.

• Haha 1

Thank you Rae. It's that "Alligation" word.

I have another 3 bank acounts, same bank, but they are all empty, I was adviced to empty them and get new bank account when I registered with a debt counciling compnay back in August. Its to stop the bank using my benefits to pay a loan I can no longer afford to pay back (son left college and tax credits stopped) I informed all dwp departments of my new account, gave then the details so they knew where to pay my benefits to and why I was doing it. They all agreed I had done the right thing and should not go without or use any of my benefits to pay for a loan......this Compliance woman knows this.

Thanks again

Paul. Im not sure its that...I have just had the review for that, the woman came to my home only a month ago and was satisfied I was still entitled to it...I have been in reciept of it for 12 years and its reviewed every year. Its nothing new. If the social worker had suspected something surely they wouldnt have renewed the award...her main concern was debt companies or banks being able to get their hands on that money..she sent me a letter to give to the banks ect and also sent one to my current bank, she asked my permission to write it and send it before she did so. This was a week after her visit.

Hi mrspinkpaws. As Rae says, please try not to worry unduly.

I would be surprised if the pension policy was taken into account. As I think you're saying, it can't just be cashed in and moved to a building society account, say, because there are rules about pensions. But if your ex were to give you cash, then that could count, I think?

If you're too young to take the pension, I'd say that's that. But post more if you want to know anything else and I'll try to look it up.

My best. HB

• Haha 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

All agencies are aware that I was awarded this and that I cannot have it until I am 60 in 2020. The pension was awarded in the court, I am not entitled to it until 2020, I cant even take transfer it to another company who may have better deals/make it work better for me. It's a police pension, I get it when he retires in 2020 when I am 60. To sell it back to my ex I would have to go back to court. It was just a thought that the people on the dwp call center help desks might have suspected I was about to take lump sums.

I also complained to the IS supervisor that I was not informed in writing that I had been awarded back pay IS and had just plonked it into a current account without asking..the first I knew of it was when I was at the cash point I had no idea what it was. She said I was ungrateful!!!, I said of course I wasnt I just didnt want to get into trouble for having too much money in my account..its then when she said, you will be if you dont draw some of it out! She asked if I had other accounts, I told her only the empty ones at my previous bank.

Where would you have wanted me put it then?? she asked.....I replied that I would have maybe wanted either part payment in giro cheque or some paying into a family members account to look after for me to pay creditors... and so I dont get into trouble for having too much in my account, but the choice wasnt given to me. She said she had done nothing wrong by paying it into the acount registered for my benefits so couldn't see my problem.....she was most put out, maybe it was her.!! Maybe I set alarm bells off, or she just wants to put me through it..she did call me ungrateful after all!

I always open about everything I do, I cant see anything wrong with making sure I dont get into trouble. Thats not ungrateful.

HI, I have got a compliance officer coming to my house next week from the council about my claim for council tax benefit. I asked the lady if she was visiting every one and she said yes, it was government legislation. They have to visiting every one who is claiming, it will take years.

I have wondered if I am being hassled because I have made a complaint about the DWP.

I have nothing to hide but if I did I would be very nervous about a home visit and I guess that that is exactly why they do it.

Good Luck.

Thanks to everyone so far :) I just realised I didnt..sorry..brain everywhere at the moment...my dad god rest his soul used to say "dont invest worry into something that might never even happen"..wish I could use that advice right now. A whole week not knowing, fear of the unknown is the worst thing :( good luck to you too cbbc x

Compliance officers do benefit checks & low level fraud cases. As you were told on the phone it concerned an “allegation” then this is probably the latter. All allegations must be looked at no matter how daft some of them sound. The fact that Compliance are dealing with you say’s everything tbh.

They are NOT fraud investigators. Amongst other things they tend to deal with obvious malicious allegations, probable misunderstandings & cases the fraud investigators have looked at & then downgraded as it’s not fraudulent, or impossible to prove etc.

The worst that can come out of a compliance visit is a benefit correction & an overpayment. If there’s nothing wrong they should be able to confirm this & will probably get you to sign a statement.

Try not to worry about it too much, from what you’ve put I don’t think you’ve done anything wrong & the compliance visit should be the end of it.

• Haha 1

Hi Mrspinkpaws.

It could be for any number of reasons that compliance wish to speak with you, all we can do here is hazard a guess. You might be interested in my post here (post number 2) which highlights the differences between compliance and fraud.

• Haha 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thank you very much :) phoned my social worker from direct payments this afternoon..she said it was either someone in IS who picked up on something I said or some disgruntled member of the public. She said having only seen me a few weeks ago and knowing my case I had nothing to worry about if it's something to do with an alligation of not being disabled. If its IS everything is on my bank statements, the money is still there etc.

She said at this point she doesn't think she needs to be there with me and to just take my eldest son with me (hes 23 doesnt live with me) or a friend for moral support.

She knows I have difficulty with things, mild dyslexia thing, I sometimes need things explained a few times till the penny drops so so speak, she said to ask them to repete as many times as I like...also said to speak when Im spoken to and only answer with short answers, i.e not to go into too much detail or mention anything unless it is to do with their question or what the 'alligation' is. I tend to waffle To stay calm. She said just like her department they absolutely have to treat everyone with respect and in no way bully or make someone uncomfortable. If I feel that they are not to let them know and ask for another appointment with someone else, however..she doubts very much I will need to do that.She also thought it was strange that being disabled they were not doing a home visit but thought maybe they are short staffed or something but to definitely not worry about it.

I have to call her when its over, if its going further she will take it from there with regards to getting me help or contacting them herself.

You are all so great and I hope I will be able to help others soon x

Thank you ERIKAPMP :) I have read it and it has put my mind at rest a lot. may I ask..are you speaking from experience, did you used to work in this dept or something?

Its also made me feel better after reading some posts that say they 'trick' people into thinking its compliance but turns out worse when you get there. As I said earlier she made a point very early on in the call she was not calling in a fraud capacity.

The fact she mentioned at the end if im having a particular bad day and dont feel up to it, just ring her that morning and she will re arrange sounds positive too.

Again..thank you so much

Thank you ERIKAPMP :) I have read it and it has put my mind at rest a lot. may I ask..are you speaking from experience, did you used to work in this dept or something?

Nope - I help people with their entitlements. Common mistake people often make!

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Paul. Im not sure its that...I have just had the review for that, the woman came to my home only a month ago and was satisfied I was still entitled to it...I have been in reciept of it for 12 years and its reviewed every year. Its nothing new. If the social worker had suspected something surely they wouldnt have renewed the award...her main concern was debt companies or banks being able to get their hands on that money..she sent me a letter to give to the banks ect and also sent one to my current bank, she asked my permission to write it and send it before she did so. This was a week after her visit.

Hello Mrs Pinkpaws

what is the above exactly :)

I only ask because

1 I dont think the interview is about your boyfriend

2 Not your pension, as any thing thats not yet in payment doesnt effect your I.S

3 Backpayments of all benefits dont count as capital until after a twelve month period has elapsed

MIKEY Hi :) The adult disabilty team at social services arrange for you have help with personal care. They used to provide everyone with care using their own carers and in some cases still do. A few years back they brought in a system where the client can find their own carers, advertise and/ or use friends or family as long as they dont live in the same house. They pay for it..into an account that must be seperate to any other with your bank and never be used for anything else but paying your care..Its called direct payments scheme. I have to keep a record of every penny and carers must sign for the money I pay them. A record of how many hours, how many pounds paid, week by week, month by month and show it against how much has been paid in.. Its a bit like running a business, I even have to have insurance in case they hurt themselves whilst caring for me. At anytime a social worker or auditor can turn up and ask to see your paperwork so it all has to be kept well.

My records are correct and up to date, all in order. When you have a review the social worker goes through it with a fine tooth comb, like an accountant. My review was last week, she was happy with my paperwork and happy to award me care for another year. I get 14 hours per week, but some people get several hours a day, it depends on how much care each person needs.

If you get ill , and need more help, they come out to access the situation or call the GP and organise more care for however long you need the extra help. Thankfully I have been lucky enough not to need to ask for any extra.

As for the 2nd question...the lady who I got upset with at IS, the one who called me ungrateful, said I had to do something about it, draw it out/spend it.. otherwise I would go over the allowed amount of savings...she was wrong there then wasn't she! She also told me I'm about to lose IS as my son is almost 18, despite the fact hes in the forces and doesnt technically live here, she said hes not allowed to use this as his postal address or I will lose it, this is apparently not the case either when I called again a few days later, shes wrong again!!!...Its not the first time IS have given me different/wrong advice within a few calls of each other. I will get all that business regarding my son in writing when its nearer to his 18th.

I only thought it was the pension thing as I had 3 discussions, DLA, INCAP, IS... about the possibilty of having 30k paid in my account now an 20k in 2010 if I 'sold' my ex the pension back, Im assuming one of them may have thought I was actually going to go ahead and have that amount coming my way. As I said, Im not, Im not selling it back, Im having it as an income in 2020 and going off benefits. God willing.

Im almost a 100% its not direct payments social worker..Im thinking either someone has it in for me, (gut feeling the ex friend) has made something up and phoned the number they give out on tv ads...... OR the woman I upset in IS about backpay i,e paying it without asking where or how I wanted it paid...OR one of the three helplines thinking Ive sold my pension and flagged it up on the 'system' ??

The latter are the only things that have caused me to speak in depth to any benefit department lately.

If you are right about the 12 month rule on all benefits, I need not have drawn it out, I will wait until after my interview then pay it back in. Thanks for that.

Edited by mrspinkpaws
added more text re 12 month rule

MIKEY Hi :) The adult disabilty team at social services arrange for you have help with personal care. They used to provide everyone with care using their own carers and in some cases still do. A few years back they brought in a system where the client can find their own carers, advertise and/ or use friends or family as long as they dont live in the same house. They pay for it..into an account that must be seperate to any other with your bank and never be used for anything else but paying your care..Its called direct payments scheme. I have to keep a record of every penny and carers must sign for the money I pay them. A record of how many hours, how many pounds paid, week by week, month by month and show it against how much has been paid in.. Its a bit like running a business, I even have to have insurance in case they hurt themselves whilst caring for me. At anytime a social worker or auditor can turn up and ask to see your paperwork so it all has to be kept well.

My records are correct and up to date, all in order. When you have a review the social worker goes through it with a fine tooth comb, like an accountant. My review was last week, she was happy with my paperwork and happy to award me care for another year. I get 14 hours per week, but some people get several hours a day, it depends on how much care each person needs.

If you get ill , and need more help, they come out to access the situation or call the GP and organise more care for however long you need the extra help. Thankfully I have been lucky enough not to need to ask for any extra.

I think every thing is in order here ;)

As for the 2nd question...the lady who I got upset with at IS, the one who called me ungrateful, said I had to do something about it, draw it out/spend it.. otherwise I would go over the allowed amount of savings...she was wrong there then wasn't she! She also told me I'm about to lose IS as my son is almost 18, despite the fact hes in the forces and doesnt technically live here, she said hes not allowed to use this as his postal address or I will lose it, this is apparently not the case either when I called again a few days later, shes wrong again!!!...Its not the first time IS have given me different/wrong advice within a few calls of each other. I will get all that business regarding my son in writing when its nearer to his 18th.

This is to do with your Severe Disability Premium. You are obviously getting paid Incapacity Benefit and only entitled to I.S because of the premium SDP. This is awarded to people who live alone or with some one

under eighteen. Thats what that IS advisor meant, if your son lives with you then your claim will close, because you will not have SDP. But he is in the army and yes he can have your address as a care of so thats fine.

Its complicated SDP :) Just tell them as you said when you son reaches eighteen that he is in the army, anyway if he is now he should not be on your claim

I only thought it was the pension thing as I had 3 discussions, DLA, INCAP, IS... about the possibilty of having 30k paid in my account now an 20k in 2010 if I 'sold' my ex the pension back, Im assuming one of them may have thought I was actually going to go ahead and have that amount coming my way. As I said, Im not, Im not selling it back, Im having it as an income in 2020 and going off benefits. God willing.

This could be a problem, if you could draw the money now and choose not to it could be classed as deprving yourself of an income

Im almost a 100% its not direct payments social worker..Im thinking either someone has it in for me, (gut feeling the ex friend) has made something up and phoned the number they give out on tv ads...... OR the woman I upset in IS about backpay i,e paying it without asking where or how I wanted it paid...OR one of the three helplines thinking Ive sold my pension and flagged it up on the 'system' ??

The latter are the only things that have caused me to speak in depth to any benefit department lately.

If you are right about the 12 month rule on all benefits, I need not have drawn it out, I will wait until after my interview then pay it back in. Thanks for that.

What was the backpay SDP. I process IS and I know the rule about the back payment of benefits it is disregarded for twelve months, she probably meant, spend it if you can :)

• Haha 1

Oh MrsPinkpaws

you had a typo you meant 2020 not 2010

defo no problem here with your pension,

sounds like you have nothing to worry about,

could be the daft person who has rung up and made the allegation, dont fret they have to follow everything up,

they unfortunately have a job to do

and I am sure you will be fine.

Thanks Mickey :)

I'm not depriving myself of an income..There is no way I cant draw it till 2020, that was made clear in court ( then it is going to be being my income and I will be able to get off benefits) I havent taken ex up on his offer as in sold it to him.. so no lump sums, they may think I have??...I would have to go back to court for Ex Hub to be able to have it in 2020 instead... he wouldnt be able to have it until he retires either..hes only 45. He was going to borrow some money now to pay me to give it back to him.

My son isnt 18 for another month, hes still here a lot as hes training, not going away till may, I will lose it for 1 month then yes??, from his birthday in April until hes posted in may...that will be fun, claiming it again, its taken 4 years to get it as it is!! :confused: silly to have to come off it and then re apply for the sake of 4 weeks, can they not just suspend it for that period?

It was 4 years back pay of IS ...she definitely said this takes you over the limit on savings allowance so you need to take some of it out otherwise have your benefits cut....and she definitely said my son couldnt use this has his postal address without it being stopped, however, the second call I made a few days later confirmed she was wrong and I can still have IS.

Any woman would have no problems spending it :lol: No shoes, handbags or holidays for me though...Im offering it to the bank as a full and final settlement to pay off a loan (4 yrs left on it) that I cannot afford the payments on.

Would your son not benefit from staying with his dad for that month :)

Are you still getting chb for him?

Yes you can pay off loans and it will not be classed as deprivation of capital when your twelve months are up, and you can buy things that you need but keep receipts for the capital review next year,

Thanks Mikey :) I have to do something about the loan, I havent been paying it since I lost child tax credits and Child benefit because I couldnt afford it and they are threatening court.......Im with a debt counceling company CCCS, They recomended I went bankcrupt..I was just about to do so when this back payment was paid into my account...so now I have assets.

CCCS now advice me to use the money to offer the bank a full and final settlement, its only 25% of what is left on the loan but Im keeping everything crossed they accept it.........they have a letter from my doctor confirming I am disabled, on benefits and will not be returning to work as my circumstances wont change. If they dont, I will have to go bankcrupt and so the official receiver will take all the back payment money anyway..CCCS checked with the official receivers office helpline to ask if I was to go bankcrupt, could keep it as it was benefit money.. but they said definitely not.

I confided in a friend today about this pending interview, she helped me do a credit check on myself........it only shows I have two accounts with my bank, I have a 3rd (same bank) I have my housing benefit paid into that 3rd one..its a savings account, no cash card, that way I can never spend it by mistake. A few days before my rent is due to my lanlady I transfer it out, over to current account and send my rent to my landlays account.

It also shows my three previous accounts (not closed, just empty) its where I used to have my benefits paid into and where the loan is. CCCS advised me to empty them and open a new account so they couldnt take my benefits to pay the loan + its the 1st thing you do when your going bankcrupt...I phoned all agencies at the time, gave my new bank details and told them why I had changed banks (Im always open about what I do)

Im thinking this Allegation may be internal now, as that was one of the 1st questions the complience officer lady asked me on the phone...how many accounts do you have? plus given all the conversations I have had about my 'accounts' etc with Income support lately.. they probably think Im hiding an account or storing money in them ????? They may have done a credit check on me and got confused/suspicous:idea:

What do you think???

PS The bank where the loan is keep charging me interest, despite requests in writing from CCCS to freeze it...for 5 months they took the loan payment out of a empty account to pay themselves the loan...I cancelled the direct debit so they could no longer do that a few months ago. Its getting really out of hand..my financial statement that had been provided to them clearly shows I absolutely cannot afford the re payments.

Edited by mrspinkpaws
added more text