Retrieving Possession Back From An Ex

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, can someone please offer me some friendly advice?

I recently split with my girlfriend of 6 months and during this time, she kindly offered to allow me to store my fishing equipment in her unused garage. I was given a key to the property and was able to access the integral garage from the house as the garage door was screwed and bolted shut for security purposes.

As I was and still am living in a fully furnished rental property, I also loaned her a flat screen TV that I owned and a blu-ray DVD player. I also left my grandfathers watch with her whilst I had someone come in to my place and fit new smoke alarms whilst I was at work one day and didn't feel comfortable about leaving such an item in my home unattended.

Anyway, we've just recently split up and the ex has now changed all the locks redendering my key useless.

I've made reasonable and unthreatening requests to ask for my things back but these have all been met with a flat refusal. She has explained how she wants me back and that I'm not going to be given my things unless I take her back which quite frankly isn't going to happen.

Obviously, the question I want to ask is how can I best get my things back? I've not been to the Police yet as I expect that they would see this as a civil matter? I'm also fairly unsure of any legal route I can use too.

I really would appreciate some advice as the situation is really upsetting me and the equipment and things left with her are not only high value but some are of sentimental significance too.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer me.

Edited by Paul Martin
Spelling

The only problem with ex's, is that you may have to kiss them and that will seem like kissing your sister. Whcih can be fun if you are from Norfolk I suppose.

As above, and give her one for grandad too!

As a woman, however loathe I am to condone sneaky methods, I have to say that this was my thought too... If she thinks blackmail is the basis for a loving relationship, one has to wonder about her...

Bite the bullet, be nice, get in, get your stuff, get out...

Bet the smoke alarm fitter doesn't seem such a threat with hindsight, hey? ;-)

Sorry, I guess i should have also said that she has a 9 year old daughter. The daughter, in the short space of time of knowing me has become quite fond of me and I can't simply go back for a while because I know how this would mess her up.

@bookworm, yes you're right. :)

Raw prawns sown into in the curtain hems; that's a good one. I did that to my wife's ex-flatmates who were ripping her off. Seemingly, it took them weeks to find out where the stench was coming from!

Sorry for thread deviation; just thought I'd lighten the day....;)

Sorry, I guess i should have also said that she has a 9 year old daughter. The daughter, in the short space of time of knowing me has become quite fond of me and I can't simply go back for a while because I know how this would mess her up.

Quite right. Besides, if you went back you might find that some of your possessions had been put away "to keep them safe" and you'd end up getting your bunny well and truly boiled while you tried to get them back.

I don't know what the best course of action is tbh. I think I'd try sending her a letter before action giving her 14 days to allow you to collect your stuff, after which you'll apply to the court for an order that she do so.

Quite right. Besides, if you went back you might find that some of your possessions had been put away "to keep them safe" and you'd end up getting your bunny well and truly boiled while you tried to get them back.

Oh, dear.............http://www.goatboy.com.au/images/goatboy/shirts/bunny_design_01.jpg