Need urgent help reg Car no fault claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

On Monday I was involved in a RTA where I was stationary and a Van behind me drove straight into the back of me! All details were exchanged and a I have a witness.

I contacted my insurance on the day of the accident after returning from hospital and was told my claim was logged and that the no fault team would call me on Tuesday. I got no such call.

Rang them today and was advised it was declined by them as the person that logged the claim put it down as minor damage. I explained I had an estimate done on the damage which came to £2000.00 which is not minor!!! Anyway I sent them the estimate then they called me back advising they still want me to pay my excess to get it fixed. I've told them no but I have no Idea why I should pay anything at all.

What rights do I have as surely they would/should make the other insurance company rightly pay for the damage than risk paying themselves!

I'm confused and stressed if someone could shed some light I'd be very appreciative.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thanks

The choices are.

Go through your Insurers and pay the excess, then claim the excess back off the 3rd parties Insurers. Could take a few months to get the £200 back.

Make the claim through the 3rd parties Insurers if they will accept. If the other driver has admitted responsibility and reported this to their Insurers, this should be straightforward. They will arrange to repair the car and you would have no excess to pay.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yea I'm fully comprehensive the problem with this is my excess is about £500 quid so I can't afford to pay that at the moment!

Just recvd a voicemail from Insurance stating they want to set an appointment to look at my car surely this should be his insurance!

Checking the damage to the car is fairly standard practice in my experience, but I have to say that I have never been expected to pay any excess when an accident has been another persons fault. Have you asked them why they expect you to pay it? Do you know if the other driver has even contacted his insurance company? If he hasn't, then this could be a very good reason why your insurers are treating this as a claim being made on your insurance policy rather than one being made on the other drivers. Hope that makes sense. If the other driver does not inform his insurance company they will simply deny that an accident has occured and you will have to claim on your own policy, resulting in you having to pay the excess. It sounds like this is what has happened.

An excess is ALWAYS paid by the policyholder, regardless of fault.

It does NOT indicate or suggest that the other person has not informed their insurers, it would be dealt with like this whether or not they have done so.

In non-fault accidents the policyholder claims it back along with other non-insured losses (hire car etc) from the insurers of the responsible party.

Mossy

Yea I'm fully comprehensive the problem with this is my excess is about £500 quid so I can't afford to pay that at the moment!

Just recvd a voicemail from Insurance stating they want to set an appointment to look at my car surely this should be his insurance!

If you have fully comprehensive insurance and you filled in a claim form it will be your insurers who inspect the car and authorise repairs, unless, you tell them NOT to get involved, in which case you have to then deal with everything directly with the other persons insurance.

Once repairs have been completed, your insurers will recover their outlay from the other persons insurance company.

Mossy

An excess is ALWAYS paid by the policyholder, regardless of fault.

It does NOT indicate or suggest that the other person has not informed their insurers, it would be dealt with like this whether or not they have done so.

In non-fault accidents the policyholder claims it back along with other non-insured losses (hire car etc) from the insurers of the responsible party.

Mossy

I don't think you're quite right with always having to pay your excess regardless of fault. Someone reversed into my car in a car park last year and once I reported it to my insurance company that was that. I didn't have to pay out and claim back anything at all. The other party's insurance company paid for the repairs and my courtesy car, and I never had to pay out my excess.

Perhaps it varies from insurance company to insurance company. At the time I was with Admiral, no idea who the other persons insurance company was though.

I don't think you're quite right with always having to pay your excess regardless of fault. Someone reversed into my car in a car park last year and once I reported it to my insurance company that was that. I didn't have to pay out and claim back anything at all. The other party's insurance company paid for the repairs and my courtesy car, and I never had to pay out my excess.

Perhaps it varies from insurance company to insurance company. At the time I was with Admiral, no idea who the other persons insurance company was though.

An excess is an amount of money that your own insurers do not pay out when a claim is made.

You state that the other party's insurance paid for the repairs and your courtesy car, so it is obvious that you claimed directly off of them and NOT through your own insurers, so under these circumstances the excess is a moot point.

I know that some insurers will offer a recovery service to claim back your excess and other uninsured losses, but before they can claim these items back they have to be paid for by the person who has the excess.

Mossy

• 4 weeks later...

Mossy is correct with what he is saying. I was involved in a non fault accident last month, i have recieved money from my insurance, but the £550 excess, is still outstanding and i am waiting to recieve it from the 3rd parties insurance.