• Tweets

• They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
    • Monika the first four pages of the Private parking section have at least 12 of our members who have also been caught out on this scam site. That's around one quarter of all our current complaints. Usually we might expect two current complaints for the same park within 4 pages.  So you are in good company and have done well in appealing to McDonalds in an effort to resolve the matter without having  paid such a bunch of rogues. Most people blindly pay up. Met . Starbucks and McDonalds  are well aware of the situation and seem unwilling to make it easier for motorists to avoid getting caught. For instance, instead of photographing you, if they were honest and wanted you  to continue using their services again, they would have said "Excuse me but if you are going to go to Mc donalds from here, it will cost you £100." But no they kett quiet and are now pursuing you for probably a lot more than £100 now. They also know thst  they cannot charge anything over the amount stated on the car park signs. Their claims for £160 or £170 are unlawful yet so many pay that to avoid going to Court. When the truth is that Met are unlikely to take them to Court since they know they will lose. The PCNs are issued on airport land which is covered by Byelaws so only the driver can be pursued, not the keeper. But they keep writing to you as they do not know who was driving unless you gave it away when you appealed. Even if they know you were driving they should still lose in Court for several reasons. The reason we ask you to fill out our questionnaire is to help you if MET do decide to take you to Court in the end. Each member who visited the park may well have different experiences while there which can help when filling out a Witness statement [we will help you with that if it comes to it.] if you have thrown away the original PCN  and other paperwork you obviously haven't got a jerbil or a guinea pig as their paper makes great litter boxes for them.🙂 You can send an SAR to them to get all the information Met have on you to date. Though if you have been to several sites already, you may have done that by now. In the meantime, you will be being bombarded by illiterate debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors all threatening you with ever increasing amounts as well as being hung drawn and quartered. Their letters can all be safely ignored. On the odd chance that you may get a Letter of Claim from them just come back to us and we will get you to send a snotty letter back to them so that they know you are not happy, don't care a fig for their threats and will see them off in Court if they finally have the guts to carry on. If you do have the original PCN could you please post it up, carefully removing your name. address and car registration number but including dates and times. If not just click on the SAR to take you to the form to send to Met.
    • In order for us to help you we require the following information:- [if there are more than one defendant listed - tell us] 1 defendant   Which Court have you received the claim from ? County Court Business Centre, Northampton   Name of the Claimant ? LC Asset 2 S.A R.L   Date of issue – . 28/04/23   Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for –    (1) The Claimant ('C') claims the whole of the outstanding balance due and payable under an agreement referenced xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and opened effective from xx/xx/2017. The agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ('CCA'), was signed by the Defendant ('D') and from which credit was extended to D.   (2) D failed to comply with a Default Notice served pursuant to s87 (1) CCA and by xx/xx/2022 a default was recorded.   (3) As at xx/xx/2022 the Defendant owed MBNA LTD the sum of 12,xxx.xx. By an agreement in writing the benefit of the debt has been legally assigned to C effective xx/xx/2022 and made regular upon C serving a Notice of Assignment upon D shortly thereafter.   (4) And C claims- 1. 12,xxx.xx 2. Interest pursuant to Section 69 County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from xx/01/2023 to xx/04/2023 of 2xx.xx and thereafter at a daily rate of 2.52 to date of judgement or sooner payment. Date xx/xx/2023   What is the total value of the claim? 12k   Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? N/A Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes, but amount differs slightly   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. DP issued claim   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Not that I recall...   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not that I recall...   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? Yes   Why did you cease payments? Loss of employment main cause   What was the date of your last payment? Early 2021   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No   -----------------------------------
    • Hello CAG Team, I'm adding the contents of the claim to this thread, but wanted to open the thread with an urgent question: Do I have to supply a WS for a claim with a court date that states " at the hearing the court will consider allocation and, time permitting, give an early neutral evaluation of the case" ? letter is an N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, if so, then I've messed up again. Court date 25 May 2024 The letter from court does not state (like the other claims I have) that I must provide WS within 28 days.. BUT I have recently received a WS from Link for it! making me think I do need to!??
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The NHS

bankoff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When the banks have been finished off, how about a new Action Group for those of us who have elderly relatives who are being asked to sell their homes for Care Fees.

Under the Coughlan Court Case if would appear that most of them have a right to Continuing Care from the NHS.

Does anyone else have any experience of this situation.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noted.

Over the next few days you will notice other forums about all sorts of situations where consumers and the public are ripped off - at the moment, we don't know everything (and nor can we hope to), but forums such as the one you are suggesting may well be in the pipeline.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I remember that it was suggested by the bank to one poster that they sell their house to pay...£200 bank charges! What is it with getting people to sell their houses un-necessarily?

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Well when your elderly relative is in hospital and they have severe dementia, (which is a recognised mental illness) they are called "bed blockers" by the NHS.

The nurse in charge then tells you, they will have to be moved out of hospital, Social Services come and visit you for a financial assessment, then tell you that the property has to be sold to pay for the care fees.

The person concerned is in need of 24 hour continuing care and as such is entitled to this from the NHS. "Coughlin case has already proved this"

See the above link, and read.

The did mention that as long as we agreed to putting the person in a home, we "could defer the payments"

If this government can't take it off you in Care Fees they will grab it in Inheritance Tax.

The rich get richer and the poor get nothing by the looks of it.

We have always wondered about this - we didn't place my Dad in a NHS home, he was 48, had alzheimers and my sister and i visited so many but couldn't bring ourselves to put him in any one of them. So we found a private home, but at £500 a week we soon had to sell his house, and he was in there for nearly 13 years... We have found out since he died in 1999 that he should have been left with a certain amount of savings i.e. that we needn't have spent every last penny from the sale of his house on his care, but don't really know who to approach about this now..

Halifax - DPA sent 03/03/06.

Prelim Letter - Sent 27/03/06 ignored.

LBA sent 10/04/06 - Ignored

Moneyclaim filed - 26.04.06

Acknowledgement received 3rd May. Halifax state they intend to defend.

Halifax Settled in Full - 17 May 2006

If you've found this post helpful, I would be grateful if you could click on the 'Scales of Justice' button in the top right corner of this post.

Just a footnote to my previous post - we did look at a lot of NHS homes, and most of them were awful, but the one or two that were fine wouldn't take my Dad because they said he was too young!! So we really had little choice but to put him in a private home. Don't get me wrong, we wouldn't change a thing, he was well looked after for 13 years, but it makes me very angry and sad for people who are forced to sell wrongly.

If you've found this post helpful, I would be grateful if you could click on the 'Scales of Justice' button in the top right corner of this post.

Have a look at the thread I posted, if you watched Panorama the other week you would have seen that people have actually taken the NHS to court and won back their money.

Your father's case is obviuosly one of those. If I were you I would go for the lot before it is too late to claim.

Ok, I'm going to stick my neck out here big time, please don't yell at me, I'm really just trying to understand this:

If a person has to go into care for the rest of their days, and there isn't a spouse living there, why shouldn't it be sold to pay for the care? Surely, the only people to benefit if the house isn't sold are the potential heirs, and what have they done to deserve a share of the house?

I mean, you have Grandpa in an institution, and his house is sitting there for 15, 20 years for what? So that the heirs can get a lump sum after he died? I'm sorry, but I don't get it. Yes, the NHS, yes, NI contributions, but what I don't get is why, if the costs of care are so much higher, it can't be offset that way. After all, there are plenty of people who won't have a house to be sold, and who will be carried by the collective taxpayer burden, as it is, and making it the same for all so that the kids have something to inherit is a patent absurdity to me.

I am paying for my house. In 15 yrs or so, it will be ours. My kids know it's our nest egg, and not to expect to inherit it. We havent worked our backsides so that they get something nice out of it once we're dead, hell no. And if it means selling it so we can have a more comfortable way of life in our twilight years, that seems to be perfectly reasonable to me.

Am I missing something? Does this actually go beyond the heirs' sense of outrage? If so, please explain it to me. Politely, please, I asked politely.

• Confused 1

This year the NHS is costing £97billion or the equivalent of about £5,000 for every household. This is grotesquely expensive for a service that is pretty poor at delivering health services but very good at getting mired in bureaucracy.

We're told that we should be eternally grateful for the NHS because it is "free at the point of use" but, in reality, this often means that the service we need can't be provided. I can well understand the anger of families who are required to sell property to pay for a service that the recipient has already paid for through their taxes but in reality can't be delivered because so much of it has been wasted.

Ok, I'm going to stick my neck out here big time, please don't yell at me, I'm really just trying to understand this:

If a person has to go into care for the rest of their days, and there isn't a spouse living there, why shouldn't it be sold to pay for the care? Surely, the only people to benefit if the house isn't sold are the potential heirs, and what have they done to deserve a share of the house?

I mean, you have Grandpa in an institution, and his house is sitting there for 15, 20 years for what? So that the heirs can get a lump sum after he died? I'm sorry, but I don't get it. Yes, the NHS, yes, NI contributions, but what I don't get is why, if the costs of care are so much higher, it can't be offset that way. After all, there are plenty of people who won't have a house to be sold, and who will be carried by the collective taxpayer burden, as it is, and making it the same for all so that the kids have something to inherit is a patent absurdity to me.

I am paying for my house. In 15 yrs or so, it will be ours. My kids know it's our nest egg, and not to expect to inherit it. We havent worked our backsides so that they get something nice out of it once we're dead, hell no. And if it means selling it so we can have a more comfortable way of life in our twilight years, that seems to be perfectly reasonable to me.

Am I missing something? Does this actually go beyond the heirs' sense of outrage? If so, please explain it to me. Politely, please, I asked politely.

But the point is that you are paying twice for the same thing.

You paid taxes and NI for services. You paid your mortgage for your house.

Why should you pay your mortgage for services as well?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Bookworm, I totally agree - we could have put my Dad in an NHS home (well one of the ones that might have taken him!) However, we chose to put him in a private home, it was our choice, and we knew that we would have to sell his house to pay for it. I know we did the right thing by him, but I know that all his life (well the 48 good years he had) it was his dream for us kids to not have to struggle like him and my Mum did -over the 12 years we paid something in the region of £300,000 for his care - If I could ask him now I know what he would have said - he would have said "you should have put me in the NHS home, Hell I wouldn't have known any different!" - and my answer would have been "yes, but WE would". As I said in my previous posts, I have absolutely no regrets about doing what we did, but if someone (and I can't work out quite who) has taken money that legally they shouldn;t have, (i.e. the legal amount of savings that a person has to be left with) then hell i want some of that back for his grandchildren. (And no, I didn't produce any grandchildren for him, so I am not asking for myself)..

Ok i am in the belief that family should look after each other and if its the old dears homes that children are hoping to get, then i think they should care for that parent in that parents own home, so that they can keep thier dignity, the worse thing i have seen is elderly people leaving thier life long homes and nose dive into ill mental health due to the sheer anxiety of it all.

Elders used to be respected much more than they are now.

They have put in so much through life and its all taken away so easily.

My heart goes out more so to the elderly of 70 years as most of the hard earned money they have put in to help and aid thier families in the future as promised, has been wasted on 6 course MP's dinners , jags and contry mannors.

oh dear ive spoke my mind, i always get into trouble when i do that, am i going to get yelled at fingers in ears, i am sensative can i ask for a feather light knuckle wrapping ;-)

No, no yelling, I promise.

But I do believe your answer is maybe a bit over-simplistic.

My mum died 5 months ago, after 2 yrs of hell for her and her family. The burden of caring for her fell on my stepfather, also in his 70s.

Because she was terminal, they wouldn't keep in hospital (this was in France, btw), but as her body functions shut down, it was left to my stepdad and my seriously-damaged-backed sister to care for her.

The only way to get her professional care would have been a rest home. Which would have had to be paid for, no or little state care. The only way for that to get financed would have been for my stepfather to sell HIS home. When I asked where he was supposed to live then, there was no answer.

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes, the families can't care. And in that case, it is better for the person to be cared for professionally.

Even if I had been near, there was no way I could have cared for my mother with my own family and problems. And I certainly would never want to be a burden on my children, even if they told me they wanted me there.

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit tonigt.

Ok i am in the belief that family should look after each other and if its the old dears homes that children are hoping to get, then i think they should care for that parent in that parents own home, so that they can keep thier dignity, the worse thing i have seen is elderly people leaving thier life long homes and nose dive into ill mental health due to the sheer anxiety of it all.

QUOTE]

In an ideal world I cannot imagine that children would not do this, but when you have a parent who is suffering from dementia/alzheimers, it is very difficult, if not impossible to look after them at either your home (because they get violent towards people, even their grandchildren), or in their home, because they need 24 hour care - my Dad used to go walkabouts in the town at 3 in the morning.... Believe me it was the hardest thing to do to feel like you are throwing in the towel and putting your 48 year old Father in a home, but there was no other option - it was the only place that he would be safe and where they had the 2 or 3 people needed to lift, bath, and ensure he wasn't a danger to himself or others.

So no knuckle rapping from me... had I not been put in the position I was I would probably still hold the same view as you...

Well, sorry I opened up a hornets nest here.

I did care for my mother, she has dementia, and we paid for private care, she lived with me for over three years.

I was very upset when she went into hospital, but it was taking its toll on me, trying to continue to work as well as looking after her.

She is still in hospital, because she was not given the promised rehabilitation that she needed to get her back home again.

We are now trying to establish how they are going to provide care for her at home with me.

There is not much hope of it, it is too unrealiable, but I am waiting to see what they come up with.

We were questioned about where she lived, did she own her own house, etc the minute she went into hospital.

Is this the way to treat already stressed relatives.

My mother worked until she was nearly 70, she has paid into the system, she deserves better than this.

What about the young people who's lives are wrecked by drugs, they live off the state, with housing and benefits given to them for most of their lives, they never contribute anything.

My mother may not live for much longer, but she is made to feel like a parasite, just because she is one of the unfortunate ones to get dementia.

Think I have said my piece now.

The state instead of placeing people in hospital and selling thier homes should be providing care for them in thier own homes.

As a child i lived in teh top flat of a residential home or 3...

The residents did not need alot of care and now adays would not be classed as needing to be hospitalised or rehomed.

Many of the residence children came to visit twice a year, this was very sad. As many of these people could of been with thier familys.

It is possible that the unecessary strain on the funds then is what is showing now. One lady who has kept intouch between the age of 92 and 94 she was moved 3 times. I couldnt do that now at 40. We have now lost contact with her and are trying to locate her as she was moved with little notice again.

My mum retired and was asked to establish 2 Alzhiemiers support groups, and although it had its rewards it was again deeply sad. 70 year olds, washing and nursing 70 year olds at 3am.

These groups where funded by churches and donations, and was the only respite these partners where getting, 1 day a week.

I suppose what im trying to explain is i do have a sympathetic view, and i have seen much, but the system is wrong.

Why when these poeple paid so much into teh world do they get so little back, Bank Off you hit the nail on the head, abuse of the system. there is enough money spent on the drunk fights that end up and A and E each weekend and drug addicts who know the road they are entering.

I hope this explains a bit better what i was writting before. I do belive as long as possible that people should have thier comforts and after they should have the care, but no longer away from thier familys as necessary.

Thank for reading me gain.

Jules

The state instead of placeing people in hospital and selling thier homes should be providing care for them in their own homes.

How?

If you have 1 person, say with Alzheimers, you need someone there 24 hrs a day. Which means you need at least 2, ideally 3 people for 24 hr care. 2 for day shift, 1 for night shift. Then you need at least 1 more staff to cover for holidays, sickness. And you'll need the odd social worker, physiotherapist as well on a regular basis.

If the incapacitated person is heavy, violent, you'll need 2 people on shift.

And of course, each of those homes will have to be equipped according to each specific need. Ramps, or stairlifts, or lift up baths, pulleys etc for beds, respirators, oxygen canisters, the list is endless. Safety equipment as well. Need I go on?

Let's not forget that the vast majority of the same people who think poor Mr X shouldn't be carted off to a home will be the first ones to complain about the noise/smell/general nuisance when Mr X deteriorates. (And if you think I'm cynical, you're right. Doesn't make me wrong, though).

So I chose an extreme case. Works with more able people too, though. Can you be sure that independent spright Mrs X. who only needs minimal care, is not going to slip and break her hip in the middle of the night?

Ok, so we have now equipped the house to suit Mr X's home. We now have 4 to 7 staff to care for him round the clock. In 1 month, 1 year, 10 years, Mr. X dies. We now have to remove all the specialist equipment, (some can be removed and reused, some can't) so as to render the home habitable.

So, I'm going to ask again: How? How can it be realistically done? At the risk of coming across incredibly callous, are you seriously telling me that the amount of taxes/national insurance paid for during Mr X's lifetime (some of which will have been used up in his younger days, let's not forget) is anywhere near the costs incurred for the individual care as described above?

Hi Bookworm

I know what you mean here, but in my case I tried very hard to keep my mother at home, the authorities offered me little help, we therefore had to get our own help instead.

When I asked them for certain equipment it was not forthcoming, so we bought our own.

I know that a person with Altzheimers needs far more care than someone with Dementia, and agree it is not practical to keep them at home.

There are far more cases out there where the elderly person concerned could be looked after in their own home or with a relative, but the back-up/help is not there. It is supposed to be, but its not.

I think it can also depend on where you live. AND no-one tells you what help you can get, you have to seek it out.

Also, I don't really think keeping someone in their own home is a bad thing, it certainly costs a lot less than keeping them in a Care home, despite your assumptions of the cost.

I think they way we treat our elderly in this country is dreadful, you only have to see the amount of pension they get to realise that.

I know what you mean here, but in my case I tried very hard to keep my mother at home, the authorities offered me little help, we therefore had to get our own help instead.

My comments were not meant as a criticism, I promise. I know far too well how easy to feel guilty and hear every 2nd word as a reproach. It really is not.

There are far more cases out there where the elderly person concerned could be looked after in their own home or with a relative, but the back-up/help is not there. It is supposed to be, but its not.

I think it can also depend on where you live. AND no-one tells you what help you can get, you have to seek it out.

As the mother of a disabled child, I can assure you that it's not exclusive to the elderly. All the information I got, from benefits to schools, I got from books and online support groups. AND not only was there no help forthcoming from my local council, they actively tried to stop giving any help and I had to fight them all the way.

Also, I don't really think keeping someone in their own home is a bad thing, it certainly costs a lot less than keeping them in a Care home, despite your assumptions of the cost.

Only true if the care is not totally professional. It's not an assumption, btw.

I think they way we treat our elderly in this country is dreadful, you only have to see the amount of pension they get to realise that.

It's not just in this country, and it's not only the elderly. At least here, if you need medicine for the kids or to go to the drs, you don't have to first check if you have enough money to pay.

The elderly that are still alive now, lived in the day of "Great" Britain, with the promises of a supportive and comfortable future.

This is what was promised.

No one can predict the future but politicians try to, and are usually wrong.

I am under no ilussion's that i will have no support from my country when I am old. Its something i am lucky to have (fingers crossed and unlike these people)20 years to ponder this over and make my own decisions, these people did as they where guided and asked as a country united, so trusted in the procedures.

The NI was taken the government was in control, it is not for the indivduals now to suffer through the long term neglegence of the government.

our children suffer our parents suffer, our buisnesses suffer and all i see is a country pooring money into bricks and morter in a desperation to be something again.

They cant even get a Stadium finished, what a waste of money. Sure they can fit a few beds in there eventually though.

Where im based they are erecting a shopping centre worth millions..that could provide exstensive hospitals and many many beds.

Yet they have just closed 2 of our much needed hospitals.

one day it has to turn around, it cant go this way for ever, eventually some one in charge will want to sleep at night.

jules;)

errrrrrrr yes i think you are missing the fact that `grandpa` has probably worked for the last 50 yrs of his life and therefore contributed in tax and national insurance

Why should the elderly be discriminated against because they need care ? Alzeimers is a recognised medical condition and the the N HS is supposed to be free they are entitled to free freatment in whatever form this takes .

I speak from a difficult position.

Personally, I agree with Bookworm, in my old age, Id expect my kids to flog everything I own to put me in the best care we could muster.Leaving a pile of bricks is no use to me whne im 6 feet under.

Conversely, I work in an older peoples social work team, and we are well resourced ( in comparison to pretty much every other london borough) and we are encouraged as social services to provide whatever we can to enable people to stay at home, whilst maintaining independence for older people wherever possible. While I appreciate not everyone has the same experiences of local authorities, I believe that we provide a very good service.

I set up care packages often in the absense of meeting the client ( ie organising over the phone with the client, discussing with family, next of kin district nurses etc) and provide A LOT of care for "free" ( ie paid by the taxpayer) Just today, I set up 17 hours a week care, with no contribution from the family, as I had no time to do organise a financial assessment. That 17 hours a week, roughly costs to "buy in" £442 per week ( not including my time & overheads etc) . This isnt unusual, I deal with care packages like this day in day out. Youd have to have had a bloody amazing salary to have ever contributed this much into the system when you were working. Much of the time I do wonder whether this is improving the quality of life for the person themselves, or whether the punishing regime of changing carers, constant hospital visits and so on, is really positive for many. Regardless, I provide these services in line with the law, and to the clients requests.

Only yesterday, I spoke with a lady over the phone who lived in a 4 bed townhouse in a very expensive part of London. I estimate her home must be worth 2 million, if not way more. Shes requesting a night carer to just sleep there ( no medical intervention or nursing) for comfort to the tune of 750 a week, plus the daytime and weekend carers ( approx 750) a week, We will probably pay it. BUt shes sat on a massive asset there, and other people in poorer local authorities inevitably miss out.

Im sure the system is not perfect. I think direct payments are a very welcome chice for older people and thier families, it can mean paying someone relliable and you already trust, without the need for changing carers as happens in local authority home care packages. I urge anyone caring for older people at home to look into this, it seems to be able to be paid to carers in addition to carers allowance (I was advised today)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks