Bought car from private seller with dodgy engine

mic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have bought my first decent car (Audi A3 03 reg circa 100k miles) 3 months ago. I was very happy with it. I have done full service, new tires, new brakes and discs. Around 3 weeks ago computer reported coolant at minimum level. I have added coolant and next day I want to my mechanic. No leaks found. I had my eye on the coolant every week. It was/is still going somewhere. Yesterday I took it to my mechanic one more time. He spend whole day looking for the leak, no leak found. We started to assume that cylinder head is cracked (result of goggling car problems) and we were hopping that engine block is ok. Mechanic then found strange and very worrying thing. Engine number has been removed. V5C doesn't mention anything about engine change. Seller didn't mention anything about engine change while selling car. He didn't mention anything about coolant disappearing either. I haven't contacted seller. I believe I have been stuffed. What are my options? Do i have any rights in my situation after "buying car as seen" from private seller? What can i do, what should i do about DVLA and car registration documents? What about my insurance for this car, is it valid? Thanks for any comments.

If it is a genuine private seller and not a trader pretending to be a private seller, then you have no comeback on the car faults at all.

As for the engine number, you should have checked that BEFORE you bought the car. It could well be that the seller didn't know. It could be that they did know - who can say?

If you pushed, there are ways of establishing the number of the engine in your car. Checks with the police/DVLA may then reveal it is a stolen engine, maybe not. If it is then the engine would not belong to you. Do you really want to go down that path?

First thing is to speak with the seller, but don't be too surprised if they say 'get lost'.

I'd go with Jimmy on this one. Don't think log books record engine number ghanges just that it should match with that currently fitted. Audi UK should be able to give you the "original" engine number over the phone as could any Audi dealer come to that. It might be that at some point it had a new engine as these are supplied with no number on the assumption that the replacing garage will stamp it in.