troublesome creditor

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Who is trying to collect the debt? What is it for - loan, credit card? How old is it? When did you last make a payment?

Hi, thank you.

the debt is for supplies purchased last year, the bill came in for £1100 but in beteen times we had fallen on hard times, we wrote to the creditor explaining our circumstances, however, there was no response, we;ve since written twice, but no response,

creditor on the other hand continues to send statements, each one higher than the last, the debt is now over £2000,

we don't know what to do about it, all of our other creditors have accepted the offered amount.

What was it you purchased? Was there any finance or credit agreement involved? I'm trying to ascertain whether or not this involves credit or is just a straightforward bill for goods supplied.

What was it you purchased? Was there any finance or credit agreement involved? I'm trying to ascertain whether or not this involves credit or is just a straightforward bill for goods supplied.

Its a straightforward Bill for goods supplied.

no signatures, just an account.

Right, Well, you decide what you can afford to pay and send it even if the supplier hasn't agreed. If they write to say that isn't enough tell them that is all you can afford and you won't be able to increase it unless your circumstances change. Keep a meticulous record of everything you send. The reason I advise you to do that is that if the supplier takes you to court you can prove you were paying it and it doesn't look good on the supplier if you were paying it and he/she/they then takes you to court. Look at the worst case scenario and don't worry about this. Supposing the supplier does take you to court. You can apply for a Time to Pay order telling the court what you can afford and that will be accepted by the judge then you all go home for tea. That is as bad as it gets. Once you make regular payments, stick to them. Don't set what you can afford too high so that you won't be able to keep the payments up. If it is £5 per month, it's £5 per month and stick to it. Good luck.

Make sure you send all communication to them in writing and by recorded delivery remembering to take a snapshot of proof of delivery from the Royal Mail website.

At least that way you'll have the proof that your creditor is getting it.

Also, in the original contract between yourselves (maybe on a receipt) is there mention of interest being added in the event of non payment?

Do as Pinky states, keep copies of everything you send, they can add as much interest as they like but when it comes to enforcing it it's an altogether different story.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Right, Well, you decide what you can afford to pay and send it even if the supplier hasn't agreed. If they write to say that isn't enough tell them that is all you can afford and you won't be able to increase it unless your circumstances change. Keep a meticulous record of everything you send. The reason I advise you to do that is that if the supplier takes you to court you can prove you were paying it and it doesn't look good on the supplier if you were paying it and he/she/they then takes you to court. Look at the worst case scenario and don't worry about this. Supposing the supplier does take you to court. You can apply for a Time to Pay order telling the court what you can afford and that will be accepted by the judge then you all go home for tea. That is as bad as it gets. Once you make regular payments, stick to them. Don't set what you can afford too high so that you won't be able to keep the payments up. If it is £5 per month, it's £5 per month and stick to it. Good luck.

Thank you, most appreciated, I have now done this.:)

Make sure you send all communication to them in writing and by recorded delivery remembering to take a snapshot of proof of delivery from the Royal Mail website.

At least that way you'll have the proof that your creditor is getting it.

Also, in the original contract between yourselves (maybe on a receipt) is there mention of interest being added in the event of non payment?

Do as Pinky states, keep copies of everything you send, they can add as much interest as they like but when it comes to enforcing it it's an altogether different story.

Thank you too,

I have now done this and I await his response, assuming of course that he does respond.:)