• Tweets

• Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No  7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice' I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof?
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Dispute from landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I have just recieved a letter from our previous landlord regarding the state and repair of the property and its contents.

when we left we scrubbed all the walls, toilet, shower, bath, skirting, fridge, oven ect, it is a fully furnished property including white goods.

I wanted to know where we stand- we lived there for 4 years with 2 small children and were inspected on a 3 monthly basis where nothing was brought up about cleanliness or needing repair.

When we left we took photos of the property through out to prove it was clean and left tidy but landlord has come back and said she wants 7 nights for sleeping in a hotel as property was supposedly to dirty to live in, she wants money for new washing maching as seal was broken apparently, new fridge as door wouldn't shut properly, money for cleaning of hob even though she has replaced it,

I was under the impression white goods have a life span of about 4-6 years and would come under wear and tear, we used all until the day we left

any advice please

gill

The washing machine seal is certainly fair wear and tear but even if it wasn't the most she could claim is the cost of the new seal and it's fitting. She can't get you to pay for a brand new one!

The fridge door you might be liable for if it was broken through misuse (and the landlady can prove it), but again she can't replace it with a brand new one. What exactly is wrong with it?

I'm surprised she isn't trying to charge you for the new hob. Any chance you can scan the letter and post it here minus the personal details. It probably isn't going to make much difference but it'll almost certainly give me a laugh.

When was the last time you signed a tenancy agreement?

When you moved in did you sign an inventory that described the house and contents?

thanks for the reply, unfortunately i cant scan the letter but i can type it out for you

Hob and oven replacement (this item has been replaced as unable to cleaned) however charge is in relation to cleaninig costs £80

washing machine replacememt - unable to be cleaned sufficiently and damage to seal around door £359

Fridge freezer replaced door damaged unable to close £330 (we had no problem closing it, although it got stuck sometimes and you had to push abit harder is all)

microwave replacement - unable to clean £40

Cleaning in property including carpets £180 ( we have photos of whole property and it looks lovely

As the landlord was unable to move back due to the condition and cleaning requiured it has been requested 7 nights alternative accomadation must be paid £343

what do you think

oh yeah what i also want to know is if they came round every 3 months for the nearky 4 years and checked and never found anything wrong surely this is all bull anyway, and the management company took 8-10 weeks to deal with any problems we had if they ever did anything at all

She's a right comedienne isn't she?

The management company issue isn't relevant, although I accept it was probably irritating at the time. You're quite right about the quarterly checks though.

If you can answer the other two questions I'll draft a reply for you.

When was the last time you signed a tenancy agreement?

When you moved in did you sign an inventory that described the house and contents?

Oh and;

Is the property in England or Wales?

Is the annual rent less than £25,000?

the property is in england

we signed a one page short hold aggreement in March 2009

we did have an inventory and everything was on it when we left

rent £750 a month

no the inventory just says what is in the property not what condition they were in and i beleive all the white goods to be a few years old whn we moved in.

the deposit is protected but we do owe them a months rent and told them the deposit they can keep

Here is a letter I am drafting at the moment in reply to them - what do you think

Thank you for your letter received 2nd March

You notice from the date, our prompt reply to yourselves while you and your colleagues reply to most matters pertaining to Chaffinch Close in around 8-10 weeks or not at all. I am referring to the letter we sent registered post on the 11 January this year with the front and back door keys.

Firstly we have lots of photos of the inside of the property, of the walls, carpets and rooms themselves taken on the 6th January which show how clean and tidy the property has been left in including the garage. Because of this proof we are disputing the costs from Miss Gordon regarding alternative accommodation as there was no reason why she could not move back in immediately except for their being no bed which is not my concern. We are not paying her accommodation costs.

Secondly she agreed a family with two young children could move into the property and use her appliances, one of which was the washing machine- a family with young children will use a washing machine quite often, washing machines have a life span of 3-5 years and as it was not brand new when we moved in and we were in the property nearly 4 years, the broken seal she claims is not damage but wear and tear and if she decided to replace the item which we would guess to be 5/6 years old, then it is of no concern to us and we are not liable for that either and dispute payment of this item too.

Thirdly the fridge freezer we had a problem with for over a year and Holmes Pearman chose to ignore the problem as if it never existed. We spoke to a lady called Jackie on a number of occasions in 2008 regarding the door, we said it was difficult to shut, she told us it was wear and tear and commented it was probably quite old, again fridge freezers have a life span of 5-6 years and again we were there 4 years and it certainly wasn’t brand new then. We did not damage the door in anyway it just became stiff but the fridge worked up and till we left the property on January 6th. If Miss Gordon saw fit to replace it, yet again it is no concern to us. We are disputing this charge too.

Next the hob and oven. Miss Gordon has replaced these so I see no reason to charge for cleaning them, although I will say the hob was left very clean and the oven was cleaned using an oven cleaner but again an oven has a life span of 4-5 years and again was not new when we moved in but we did take care of it. We are disputing this charge also.

The property was cleaned throughout and photos show even the carpets looking clean. The only room to have a dirty carpet was my son’s room the very small bedroom. This would not cost £180 to clean. We are disputing this charge too.

Have you informed Miss Gordon of the incompetence or lack of help your office has given us over the last 3 years and 10 months seeing as she was paying you to manage her property.

Every 3 months a representative would come over and we would gladly let them in, they would walk around the property and take no notice to anything we would ask to be done and then we when rang you office a few weeks later to see what you were doing about it, not surprisingly you knew nothing about any problems

No 1: moved in 2006 and shower pole was rusted to the end and would fall off the wall - told your office over a 2 year period - result nothing done till shower finally condemned as unsafe by plumber in late2009.

No: 2 back gate lock was rusted and no longer worked – this was in late 2006 and was a security risk to our children and Miss Gordon’s property – result – after 5 weeks of phoning we gave up and replaced it ourselves.

No: 3 The sink in the kitchen was blocked and the plug hole built into the sink was moving around we informed you, this was sometime in 2007 and was told we were talking rubbish and to use mr muscle drain cleaner – result – after 8-10 weeks of complaining you finally sent a team round and they found that the drainage pipe was bent the wrong way so the washing machine overflow would bubble into the sink with boiling hot water and they had to replace all the piping including the sink plug

No: 4 Fridge Freezer door would get stuck, advised your office, nothing ever done.

I'd just ignore her then. If she's stupid enough to take this to court, I (or someone else) will help you get it thrown out. She doesn't have a leg to stand on because she can't prove the condition of the items when you moved in and therefore cannot prove that they were damaged by you.