CCJ and can I be chased for an old debt??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5145 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could please give me some info?

When I was younger (about 10 years ago) I got a credit card when I was at uni. Being young and stupid I managed to get myself into debt and defaulted on my credit card. The debt was eventually the subject of a CCJ in 2004.

I recently received a letter to my mother-in-laws house regarding this!! I don't even live there and I've no idea how they got this address. The letter states that there is an outstanding amount of £500+ (sorry I don't have the letter to hand) and this must be paid immediately to rectify my credit file. It also advises it is subject to a CCJ and therefore MUST be paid.

I have just checked my credit file and looked at the court information section and it states the following

Type: County Court Judgement Paid

Court Date: 16/08/2004

Amount: (which is less than is quoted on the letter I received)

Date satisfied:03/04/2006

I thought I had paid this off and in fact have heard nothing about this in over 4 or 5 years. Are they allowed to still chase me?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm trying (and mostly succeeding) in being much more careful with my finances and my partned would be really annoyed that I owe anything like this as we are saving for a house. I'm worried bailiffs will come to the house (or worse to my mother-in laws house).

Many Thanks

fiesty

sounds like a fishing expedition.

If you had a CCJ, and it was satisfied then you should have been given a form by the courts to state this.(I did when I had one many moons ago) If you have lost / did not receive one, you may be able to contact the court in question to enquire on the status and get a satisfaction certificate.

In England and Wales, a Certificate of Satisfaction , stating that the debt has been paid, can be obtained from the County Court in which the case was heard. The fee is £10. If the debt was not paid through the court, for example, it was paid direct to the lender, the court will require evidence that the Judgment has been satisfied , i.e. paid. The court will need the case number of the action. The number and the name of the court are shown on the Register of County Court Judgments, under your name, and on your credit reference file. The court will then issue a Certificate of Satisfaction to you and automatically inform the Registry Trust that the debt has been paid. There is no statutory time limit within which the court must do this.

As a matter of interest for the rest of the peeps, which company is chasing you?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

I've left the letter at a friends and will pick it up later to check the company.

I don't honestly know if it is paid - I thought so but did not receive any letter from the court. Thanks so much for your help

Hi

The company involved is Howard Cohen Ltd. I do remember dealing witrh these previously regarding this but as mentioned have had no coontact from them within the last 5 years or so - are they allowed to just pick this back up?

Also the Court case number they have provided is different to the one on my credit file.

Is it possible this is now being chased because it is coming up to 6 years since the Judgement was handed down? Is it correct that they can no longer chase after 6 years?

Thanks so much

They must seek permission from the court to pursue a CCJ after six years, showing good reason why they haven't enforced it previously. Permission is very rarely given but in your case it's marked as satisfied.

Write back to them quoting the CCJ number on your credit file stating that it is satisfied & that you have no knowledge of the one they are referring to. If there was a second CCJ it would show on your credit file so it looks as if it's a clerical error on their part.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'd really apprecaite spme help. Apologiesw if this is doesn't read well but I'm a bit upset.

I received a call from my boyfriend's father today saying a man had been to the house with a letter for me. He'd refused to say what it was regarding. I don't even live at their house!

I've opened it and it says I need to contact this guy urgently regarding my debt owing on a CCJ for a Topshop account. I don't even know what this debt is. The only one I was aware of was a CCJ on a credit card (which is on my credit file as satisfied - see above). There are no other CCJ's on my credit file so I don't know what he's talking about??

I'm really upset as I'm going to have to contact this person in case he pays another visit to my bpyfriends parents. I am really embarassed as I know they will ask me what the letter is about.

Im also annoyed as the card says 'despite repeated efforts to conatct you' - I've received only one letter!!

Does anyone please have any advice?

Thanks so much

p.s. incidentally he was fropm the Lewis Group -?? not same people who originally sent me the letter.

Thank you - it was Northampton Court I will phone them tomorrow.

Is there anyway I can stop them going to my boyfriend's parents?

Do they still have to prove I owe the debt even if there is a CCJ filed?

Thanks