Any builders/expert DIYers in here?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Need a bit of help if so.

First question: how do I find out if a wall is a weight bearing one or not? Is is something which can be ascertained by prodding them or do I need to get the plans from somewhere?

2nd: How difficult/expensive is it to move the gas and electric meters from one wall to another? Who does it, a private workman or is it the gas and leccy people?

3rd: Waste pipes - How difficult/expensive is it to move a toilet in or out of a room and redirect the waste pipes to the other side?

4th: Do any of the above usually require planning permission? (privately owned house)

That's all for now, appreciate any sensible answers. :-)

Has to be Gas and Electricity board and not cheap!!

Toilets can be moved anywhere nowadays if you use Saniflow system.

You won't need planning permission but I would think building regs may? come into play with the meters.

Capitalism is the legitimate racket

of the ruling class.

Al Capone

Best way to find out if a wall is load bearing is to get a builder (who offers free estimates) around to do a quote for moving it. If it's a two storey property a reasonable guide, though not infallible, is whether the wall continues through both floors.

Re moving waste pipes - it is possible but may depend e.g. on floor construction if you want them to run under the floor. We had the waste pipe from a toilet moved in our last house, to make way for a kitchen extension. They left the toilet and internal pipes where they were and ran the outside pipe around to the side of the house and a convenient alternative access to the main sewer.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Need a bit of help if so.

First question: how do I find out if a wall is a weight bearing one or not? Is is something which can be ascertained by prodding them or do I need to get the plans from somewhere?

No simple logic to this, even a stud wall could be classed as load bearing depending on structure of building. Would need somebody savy to lift floorboards, check floor area, joist spread etc. If you were looking at say a 1960's semi it would probably be a far simpler call.

2nd: How difficult/expensive is it to move the gas and electric meters from one wall to another? Who does it, a private workman or is it the gas and leccy people?

Utility provider only, seals need breaking and allegedly we lowly peeps are not allowed to do this ;), think transco and the likes are currently at circa 5-600 squid for meter resiting

3rd: Waste pipes - How difficult/expensive is it to move a toilet in or out of a room and redirect the waste pipes to the other side?

Not difficult so long as you have a decent head of height. Saniflo systems work ok when fitted properly and they allow for a small bore waste but be warned........they are bl**dy noisy

4th: Do any of the above usually require planning permission? (privately owned house).

Should all come under building regs only, though most people don't bother I would think it prudent to have somebody check the load bearing aspect of any walls you want to chop around if only for the insured liability if something goes awry.

That's all for now, appreciate any sensible answers. :-)

Hi Bookie

Replies above to best of my knowledge

Gez

It IS a 1960's end of terrace, how clever of you to guess! :-D

Lol....... right, obviously I'd prefer to see it before giving an opinion but...... stair walls are usually a big no no and this will be evident by first floor layout (continuation of wall line to roof space).

Follow similar logic for the rest of the house and you shouldnt go far wrong, if its really out of your comfort zone then please don't get the kango out just yet :lol:

Theres slightly more to it than this (esp if the house has already been altered with cantilever floors etc) but the above should give you the basics

Gez

LOL, don't worry, I'm not planning to get the sledgehammer out (couldn't lift the bugger myself anyway).

It's just I am making plans to alter our downstairs so it is more disabled friendly, and would like to knock out the airing cupboard (AKA hubby;s office, lol) (which contains the meters) and the d/stairs toilet, which would make the kitchen rectangular, and then build a wet room going from under the stairs to the kitchen wall ( I know I'l need ventilation etc, don't worry!).

But IF the wall dividing kitchen and l/room is not weight bearing (I'm pretty sure it will be, but we're on "if" here), then I would have loved to get the end part into an open plan thing, you see.

The reason I am asking all this is so I can start planning financially with realistic goals... Obviously if we have to look at RSJ and the likes, I know the cost would rocket, etc...

I know that describing it probably just confuses things, I'll draw a pattern, that might make things easier to understand. It's very clear in MY head if that's any consolation!!! :razz:

I know that describing it probably just confuses things, I'll draw a pattern, that might make things easier to understand. It's very clear in MY head if that's any consolation!!! :razz:

Erm, I'll wait for the drawing then :D

Oh and don't get too scared of cost implications for fitting an RSJ, its not as expensive as you might think if you find a reputable builder.

If you look it logically all they are doing is pinning a wall with a couple of acros whilst they install the steel and knock out everything underneath........ if its done properly they'll also calculate load dispersal so that the RSJ meets with building regs

2 peeps, 2 days labour plus rsj (160mm at circa £5.00 per foot) plus the finishing that you'll be estimating for anyway - worst it should be is i.r.o £700.00 - £800.00 to add to your estimate

Gez

(NOT to scale!!! :shock:)

I'm shocked, reaaaaaaaaaaaally :p

I'd guess you'd be needing to set a good 5k aside to get the job done to a good standard and not suffer with a wet room that isnt (a wet room)

Pretty sure if you get estimates in they'll be looking at 160 hours (ish) depending on how much of the finishing you want from them, the going rate starts at around £150.00 a day if you can find a local builder that won't cane you on prices.

Add to that the meter resiting at anything up to 1k, no control over costs for this but you may get a builder that will resite the leccy for a lot less -thats your call though :rolleyes:

Materials at another £400.00 - not as expensive as some builders may like you to think

Your choice of shower and w/c at £300.00 upwards

Finishing - tiles, paint etc £200 upwards....

Comes in at a guesstimate of circa £4900.00 +

Gez

Read that 20 times before I realised what BG was .......... doh :-D

Oh and, just noticed a thread with a mention of Birthday wishes........ Happy Birthday for whats left of the day, hope it was a good one for you

Edited by gezwee
Happy Birthday :-)