Woolwich/Barclays Arrears On Credit File - Advice

Trance3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I had a woolwich account that I thought I had closed in 2004, it since transpired (through my credit file) that I was actually in arrears by 6 months.

I thought I had closed the account and when I still received mail I thought it was junk!, I am always getting things asking me to apply for credit cards etc.. When I found this out I immediately went to Barclays to sort this out, they said do not pay contest it to which I did.

I had a reply from them sending copies of statements showing that when the Woolwich transfered to Barclays I was infact over my overdaft limit by £11.00. I paid the debt as soon as this came through. They are insisting that they will not remove the data from my credit file as it is factual, I am contesting this as I paid no monies in for 6 years and they could have rang or sent a standalone letter stating that I was going into arrears.

I also do not recall any terms and conditions from Barclays stating their charges, they charged me £22 which started the ball rolling with me getting into arrears.

I have always managed my finances well and was astounded by this, I tried to apply for a mortgage only to find this.

My question is - Do I have a case as I feel that they have not been fair regarding this, also I never received any terms and conditions explaining these charges when Barclays bought the woolwich.

I have no other issues on my credit file apart from this and I am struggling to obtain a mortgage. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

TG

Hello and Welcome,

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi Trance and welcome to CAG.

How could the a/c have been closed in 2004 when you say there was an OD on it. :confused:

You say you paid the debt as soon as you knew of it. Did you just pay £11 or were there charges and interest on top.

When did you settle the debt in full.

You will have trouble arguing that you didn't know of the Reserve fees system being introduced. There was huge publicity about it which was sent out with statements and by separate letters by Barclays.

Did you still have the a/c open in 2007/08.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi thanks for the reply,

I thought that I had paid the overdraft off and closed the account, obviously not though.

When Barclays came back and stated I was liable I paid the debt in full and made sure I closed the account. The amount accrued over that time was charges and interest, I did not receive any letters of concern or phone calls or any terms and conditions when Barclays took over the Woolwich.

The debt should now show as satisfied but its still on my credit file. :(

Thanks

TG

Hi Trance,

You don't say when you paid off and closed the a/c.

If it was within the last 6 years, then it will still appear, although I think it should show as "settled" and not "satisfied".

:)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi,

Sorry it should say settled..I only paid it off last week so it may take some time. The only reason it showed as arrears was due to £22 pound charge. I have been monitoring my credit file and the account was showing as 'satisfactory' until this charge was applied.

I hope this makes things clearer.

Thanks

TG

I'm surprised they didn't pile on charge after charge, from when the fist one appeared on the a/c.

How long was this amount shown as owing on the a/c.

If there is only the one charge and you cleared it as soon as it came to your attention, you could try writing to ask if they would remove the marker as this was purely an error on your part.

HI,

Thanks for replying, I have looked at the statements they sent me and it appears that the £22 charge has been on since September. They did not inform me nor were there any other charges, it was this charge that kicked in the arrears on my credit file.

I have asked them to remove it but they state they won't due to the information being factual, they have made an error in my judgement by applying the charge. If I had noticed I would have settled the total bill immediately.

I have told them that I will take it further as I am not happy with the charge that they applied.

Thanks

Hi Trance,

Have you written to them asking if the default could be removed as it was an oversight which you remedied immediately on discovery.

Or have you just spoken to them by phone (not recommended usually).

I think you would be lucky to get this removed because it does appear to accurately reflect that the a/c was delinquent.

I also think the effect of this will be minimal in terms of your credit rating because it shows as settled and not still in arrears.

Hi Slick,

I have wrote to them but at the moment no joy, I am not showing a default only arrears albeit 6 months:eek:.

I can't understand the £22 charge as it was this that triggered the arrears, to be honest it came from nowhere??.

Unfortunately because of of this no one will touch in terms of a mortgage:(, I have read the letter that someone drafted on here regarding unfair charges so I may try that tack. I will ask them to explain it.

Many thanks

TG

Do you have statements to show how the a/c balance stood and when they applied the £22 Reserve Fee.

If your a/c balance was shown as o/d by £11, that suggests you had a credit balance of £11, so why was the Reserve Fee applied. :confused:

If you don't have statements to show what happened, send Barclays a SAR.