style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3460 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hello, short story - been on prepayment meters gas and electric for a while, EDF - we now owe nothing but keep meters in as couldnt afford bills. anyway i got a silly call from EDF the other day who say we owe 400 quid on electric since 2008 yet they were originally taking money from us when meters first installed in 2008 - i was very abrupt and said, ' sorry i think your taking rubbish please call back when youve sorted it out', and then i put the phone down without giving him a chance to talk.

we were with someone else previous i cannot remember who -

do i have a leg to stand on - or do i just listen to someone who says we owe 400 and give them the money ? kinda highwayman robbery isnt it?

Ask them to put all details in writing to you, so you can respond similarly. Over the telephone it's likely someone trying it on.

That way you should get all the details you and they need to work it out : who it is, account numbers, dates of the purported debt and what not.

If it doesn't Moo, don't stroke it!

It is very unlikely that you would get a phone call from them without receiving a bill from them first of all.

If they call back and you are unsure, ask them to send you everything in writing so that you have all the facts.

You can also ask for their name and department and tell them that you will call them back via their main switchboard to verify they are for real.

Good luck