Grievance -help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a grievance with MD/line manager. Works director has told me he will not help to sort it as admin is nothing to do with him, and that MD has created the problem then he will sort it himself. Two months have passed and nothing resolved. We have a baord of directors -who are shareholders, therefore written to a director from the board -he is referring me back to the MD -to resolve and he understood the works director is assisting me -this is not the case.

I am off with work related stress, can I be made to attend a meeting with both works director and md, can MD be involved in a grievance meeting - grievance is with him , can the directors all say they are not getting involved.

I am rather confused and feel that i am getting no-where.

Two months have passed and nothing from MD-despite my request for them to pay me overtime - currently owed a substantial amount of money.

Any advice, what can I do? I am really suffering at present with stress and anxiety. Clearly MD wants to have the meeting himslef -to avoid other directors being aware of his sarcasm/harassment towards me.

Help please.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello accounts, sorry to hear of your problems.

My understanding from following this forum is that the person involved in the grievance shouldn't be involved in trying to sort it out for you. These delays are probably affecting any possible case they may have, adversely. It sounds as it the MD could be a control freak who wants to dominate everything, but I would say it's against the spirit of the legislation, or worse. I've seen it before with bullies.

If you want to do a bit of research, you could have a look at the ACAS website and what it says about Grievance Procedures, to see if the company are complying. Also, do you have a contract/particulars of employment, or an employee handbook that explains the grievance system where you work?

If you're up against a bully/control freak, it could be worth a look at bullyonline.org.

I'm sure people on the forum will be able to help, try not to worry too much, if you can. It will only make you feel worse, and no employer is worth that, in my opinion. I think you have a few options.

Hopefully more caggers will be along soon and can advise you more on this and how to go about reclaiming money you're entitled to.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for your advice.

I have researched the ACAS site and agree the MD should not take the grievance meeting - when the grievance is against him. I am sending a reply back to the director from the board.

Further letter received from MD -somehow he thinks I am returning to work on th of march and I must call him to discuss the work situation.

Not sure what is meant by this - again he wants a call -verbal discussion and then I have no record of what was said.

I shall write and ask for a meeting -with a n other, also inform them that I I have the right to be accompanied during the meeting. Also request that notes be taken - I will have to see how they respond to this.

Hi, that sounds like a good move to me, accounts. I understand why the MD is trying to control this, but don't agree with what he's doing.

Do you have any way of recording a phone call? Personally, I would find that easier; you can have pauses while you write things down or think, and he won't be able to see your expression. And he would be less intimidating, the rat.

Guys, how does the MD stand asking our OP to talk about work while he/she is off sick? Especially as it's stress.

Accounts, have you talked to ACAS's confidential helpline about how the MD is conducting things?

'Speak' to you later.

• 2 weeks later...

Reply for other director -to state that grievance meeting cannot be held until an informal meeting has taken place.

I have had two informal meetings with MD -but clearly he is telling the other director (who is on the board of directors) that we have not had an informal meeting. Therefore this director (from the board of directors) is insisting that a meeting is held with MD -as an informal meeting - and they will not accept my formal grievance and a request for a meeting.

Still off with work related stress -matter getting worse, depite requests for a meeting after raising a grievance they will not accept my letter and MD is not informing this director of the previous meetings.

Any advice.

update:

Received no payslip -but checked statement and have only been paid ssp, cannot understand why when we have a disabilty scheme -guaranteeing 50% pay.

Not happy -I realise I have used up my entitlemet per contract but do not know why they have reduced even further -when contract stipulates disability scheme.

don't know what to do now -I have always had to request copy payslip -as they are not sending them to me -when I know I am legally entitled to them.

They owe my subs -total £207.00 -still not paid,

Signed off for a further month by doctor -what can I do?.

Thanks for advice so far. Update.

Scribbled letter in pencil received from HR.

Paid me basic ssp for march. My 28 weeks entitlement for ssp will cease 5th April. I must return my £10.00 xmas gift card -they don't have a card with that number on !!!

Having checked my pay ect it comes as no suprise to find the following:

March underpaid ssp by £47.49 -equates to three days.

28 weeks sick pay -ceases 23rd April not 5th as stated by HR -a further 15 days are due.

I cannot believe this -it seems everything she does is wrong -although when she underpaid me in December, she sent me a scribbled note to say monthly salaries is all new to her -in which case I don't think she should be doing.

It is really simple to add days up -I would have thought to calculate ssp -not for her.

It is end of tax year and I really want my pay for march correcting -they refused last time and I had to wait a month -this will be interesting.

Can you believe hr has calculated my pay for 5 months and got it wrong for two of them.

Suspect I will have to send in a formal grievance -re these incorrect issues -any advice.

No mention of disability scheme-will have to ask info. I do know in the past we have continued to pay employee 50% and claimed money from ins -but for some reason HR has made no mention to me.

Really stressed out, in tears all the time and cannot sleep -hence the reason to be typing at 1.30am.

Any advice. suggestions please.

Hi there, sorry you're finding this so tough. HR sounds very unprofessional.

I can't comment on the SSP part, but for the disability insurance, there should be a booklet or a section in the employer's handbook. Someone else on the forum had a problem with this too.

I suggest you ask for full details of the cover and how it operates. If you post what you can, we'll help you, but guessing how it works won't really be helpful.

Big hug to you. HBx

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Letter sent to director (from the board)stating an informal meeting had taken place -and that I am requesting a formal meeting -as per grievance procedure. Received reply from this director -stating I must have meeting with MD -again insisting the meeting is held with the person who I have the grievance with. I cannot believe that despite several requests to this director (from the board of directors) for a meeting still refusing. He has come up with dates - end April and beg May -when meeting can be held with MD, I find this disgusting in that I am now not receiving any money.

I sent letter last week to MD -to request written statement on SSP -as they are finishing this seven days too soon, and details on the disability scheme. I have not had a reply from the MD -I understand that the statement on SSP should be sent within seven days -as per revenue and customs -to no avail. Also no details on disability scheme -which I am a member of.

I have sent an email today to MD -again to ask for info -I suspect that he will be on holiday now till 12th April, he has not replied to me. And I am left with no money.

SSP1 form was sent to me on 18th March -ceasing pay 2nd April -should have been received in February as it takes five weeks to process claim.

I just feel that I am getting nowhere and despite requests to MD for SSP details and disability -no details sent to me.

Despie several requests for a grievance meeting -not permitting me to have this. They are adamant this is with MD -how can it be, grievance is with him, and there are other directors. I have made this clear in letters -but can get nowhere.

Any suggestions, advice, please.

How can I get information I am entitled to??

Two weeks ago I requested info from MD -in respect of our disability scheme at work. However, letter from MD -saying he will send paperwork in due course. I contacted insurer direct and they have confirmed that all paperwork was sent to MD last week. My md is now on holiday -and I am even more annoyed that I have no pay -from 2nd April -entitled to disability scheme cover from end FEB -yet employer did not instigate at my request -where do I go now? Unable to obtain information despite it being in my contract that I am entitled to 50% when off sick.

I just don't know what to do, been off since October everything has been calculated incorrect.

SSP paid short, ssp finished too early -a total disaster -and then they wonder why I am still off with stress -the whole scenario gets worse.

Any advice

Hello again accounts. I'm really sorry it's going so badly with the company and I would be at my wits' end too. Have you spoken to ACAS or the CAB, I can't remember?

Thinking about what you can do practically, I am at a bit of a loss myself. I wonder if it's time to file for an ET. Guys, what do you think please?

Is it worth contacting HMRC and seeing if you can drop the company in it about SSP?

As for the disability scheme, I know that the insurer won't deal with members of staff directly, because the company is the policyholder. So the nasty MD is sitting on the paperwork.

Are you claiming anything from the State? Usually, a disability insurer will assume that you're receiving some sort of benefit like ESA, which used to be Incapacity Benefit. It might be worth a quick post to the Benefits forum of CAG to see if they have any ideas.

I wish I could help more with this. Hopefully, other caggers will be along shortly.

My best, HB x

ACAS - Code of Practice (Grievances)...

...[e]mployees should raise the matter formally and without unreasonable delay with a manager who is not the subject of the grievance...

You may want to remind them of the ACAS - Code of Practice...

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Accounts - I can tell how frustrated and despondent you are becoming from the tone of your thread.

I am in a very similar situation to you, out of the workplace for one year now, turned down for the insurance scheme, now surviving on £64 a week. It isn;t very nice, in fact, I can see how a person could be driven to the depths of despair by it. But there is nothing much you can do about that side of it, so we just have to get on with it because.....

......it is not you who has caused all this upset and delay, and it is certainly not your fault that you now have to go and see your GP yet again for further help because you cannot cope with all this - it is making you sicker than you were when you originally went off! Make sure your GP gets this all written down in your notes, ask for counselling, so on and so forth, and whenever you speak to any professional from work or elsewhere concerning this subject in the future, this is how you tell it.

I warn you now, you are in for a bumpy ride, but hang on in there, you are in the right here, your employer has made you ill, then compounded it and made you worse, and unfortunately that is going to be his responsibility and not yours.

The serious question for you right now is to consider carefully whether you wish to return to this employer, and if you decide that you do not, then the ball is in your court, it just takes a while to get there! And courage.

Thread bookmarked, keep posting up, and keep reading all that you can about bullying in the workplace and try to get very very angry insteadof going theother way into depression.

Chin up. X

• 3 weeks later...

Email last week from works director, still insisting I meet with MD. I replied to say that I would not be meeting with MD -as previously informed.

Email now received from works director -suggesting two options:

1)i meet with him(works director), he takes notes and then gets back to me.

2) i meet with employer solicitors

don't feel up to meeting with employer solicitors -I am still in a stressed out way -maximum medication for stress and feeling very angry, annoyed , tired etc all the time.

This has now come about following me requesting disability scheme inof -three times -to be received finally last week. Almost three weeks too late.

Any advice -on meeting etc.

After three requests -I received the disability scheme forms. I have completed these and returned them to my employer -MD, as instructed. I am awaiting contact now from the insurance company.

• 3 weeks later...

No further forward - after 7 months. Contacted works director -in reply to his email to ask about grievance meeting -reply received -took two weeks -still insisting that I have meeting with MD -no-one can understand that I shouldn't have meeting with MD -he is the cause of my grievance. The last letter from director -of the board -stated I needed to contact md to arrange meeting -nobody can understand why this is not correct. They even have HR-and are being advised by solicitor -to no avail.

I have not received any money from anywhere -since 2nd April -work sent me SSP1 form late -therefore ESA not yet sorted. Disability form received in April -should have been completed prior to end of feb. All notes from doctors sent off in respect of disability ins. but nothing yet received. Not sure how long they take to process things.

I have been docs again -and have been signed off for three months -I am not well -totally sressed out etc at present.

How can a situation like this be resolved when md -will not let meeting go ahead without him being present.

Any ideas -or any suggestions?

Hi,

Two options:

(a) attend the meeting with the MD, making sure you tape that meeting...

(b) see with MD, and director if a mediator can attend the meeting...

A third option would be to contact an employment law firm and get some advice and, maybe, check the merit of your case...

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Hi there. I fully understand that you're stressed out, who wouldn't be?

Have you checked the ACAS guidelines, because I think the company may not be following them? I can't remember if you've talked to ACAS already, but possibly you should. They have a good website.

HB x

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Have been looking on the acas website -for useful info.

Letter to works director to request grievance meeting with him, and my chosen representative -to accompany me. I will be choosing a member of staff to accompany me -who is a very good member of staff-but unfortunately is not liked by works director -as 'too hard working and too thorough in his job'.

The draft letter received from sol -suggested that I inserted the staff members name to accompany me -but at this moment in time I have not made any contact with him. I will do this -should I receive a promising reply from the works director.

Can a chosen companion -refuse to accompany you at a meeting -I expect they can really -but not aware of this -any body aware of this -and at what point do I inform director who my chosen rep. is?-they won't like this -don't think they can refuse -can they?