Jump to content

staying with a friend - council tax liability

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



I would be grateful if anyone knows the answer to this question of mine/or if they could advise.


I had nowhere to live due to having to move out of a place where there was a rogue landlord, at short notice (overcharging, general mistreatment of tenants, etc). I went to stay at a close friend's, initially for a month. The month got turned in to 2 months due to some pressing work commitments I then had to fulfill. I got a new place but was unable to move in immediately so it became 3 months I was there in the end.


She was/is in receipt of single person's discount for council tax. Would the council seek to charge if they knew I had been there on this basis, for that period? Are you allowed to 'stay with a friend' for a period before this gets taken into account for council tax liability?


I'm not planning on going to the council myself to ask about this but would like to find out as there is a member of her family (quite a strange one I think) who is raising this as a potential issue.


It would be great to know...thanks!

Edited by general interest!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an expert on this subject but I would say yes, they would seek to charge you if they knew. Single persons discount is for single people, not for a pair of people. And they council would not look at you as staying there. They would see you as living there.



If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.


Link to post
Share on other sites

The single person discount is not applicable for the period as the property was your 'sole or main residence' as well as your friends 'sole or main residence'.


The actual liability for any council tax owed would fall on yoru friend as per section 6 of the local government fiance act 1992.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...