Sky Subs in Advance??

malcontented
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, i cancelled my Sky subscription, via the internet, on 1st Feb...six days before the subs were due to be taken, informing them i no longer wanted/needed their service. I also stopped the DD via my bank, and told Sky what i had done. I went on holiday the following day.

Upon my return today, i checked my emails and had 2 emails off them. One sent the same day as mine to them saying they had a higher than usual workload (i wonder why!!!!) and would be in touch asap to deal with my email. then a further one saying the below:

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email about the cancellation of Sky account.

However I regret to inform that I am unable to cancel this account as you are not the account holder. As per the Data Protection Act, only the named account holder can cancel their account.

Please ask the account holder to contact me direct at the email address provided.

Whilst I realise that you may be disappointed with the decision made, I hope that you can appreciate our position on this matter. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Customer Services team on 08442 41 41 41, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

Kind regards

Amit

Customer Relations

Not just that, though...as i waded through my snail mail, there were two letters from Sky. The first, dated 6th Feb, telling me that they tried to take a payment, but were unable to, and that they will be sending me an invoice that will cost me £4.00 etc, etc

The other one, dated 22nd, however told me i OWED them £48:50 outstanding on my account!!!!!!!

Now, in the back of my mind, i recall them setting up the direct debit and taking the first months payment out the same day. Two weeks later, another months payment was taken, meaning i was at least a month in advance.

Am i correct in stating i AM in advance and that i owe them zilch. I mean is the above the standard practice when they get a new customer?

I must admit, i am in the mood for a fight with them, but want to make sure of my facts, before going in at the deep end, and to stop me having to wade through years of bank statements

All help appreciated

Malc

I used to be "plain old Malcolm"

Then i became contented

So now i am just.. Malcontented !!!!:D

Yes, you pay in advance. HOWEVER, you still have to give 30 days notice of cancellation, as your last bill will show no forward payment. (Providing you are outwith the minimum term).

In the situation you describe, because you did not give the required notice and cancelled the DD prematurely, you do get hit with the £4 invoice fee. (Sky don't like customer taking control of their finances).

and just to confirm as well.., sky talek at least 14 days to set up a direct debit so they could not take a payment the same day either.

As it stands from your posts there is still no cancellation on the account.

I take it that you haven't paid it and the account is now blocked?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)