Giving Welcome Debit Card details- big 'no no'?

hulldebtor
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Cancelled my d.debit last month due to unforseen expense, wrote to Welcome and asked them to reinstate for this month, they haven't done so successfully. Branch asked me to pay by d.card, perhaps as month end and if they take 2 weeks to set up new d.debit, will not show on their 'figures' for this month?

My question? - after all i read about Welcome on here, i wonder if i should give them my card details, was assured it gets entered into a once only system and then not retrievable by them, but dont want them having facility to misuse.

Can majorplayer or anyone advise please?

Many thanks

DON'T DO IT - a lot of Welcome branches are being closed down at the end of March, all you will do is give somebody access to your money where they could/might take the lot.

If you do do this make sure it is from an account that your salary does not go into.

I agree dont give them card details unless its an account you dont 'use' id be more inclined to send a cheque or postal order

I am a consumer just like you, please get a second opinion or investigate yourself on anything I advise as I am in no way legally trained. Everything I know has come from the Mighty CAG and fellow CAGGERS. :cool:

If I have helped in any way please click my reputation star and make a donation to CAG to enable us all to continue to help each other :cool:

The most secure way of paying this or any debt is by standing order. direct debits are giving a company access to your monies they "take what they want" a standing order is you giving the monies so "you give what you want" . . . direct debit is in the companies interest . . . . . again to reiterate do not pay by card they DO hold your details and DO take other payments, if anyone disagrees I will find you 5+ threads in this welcome section alone were this has happened.

I agree Ozzy - they have even been known to try and take DDs early :rolleyes:

I am a consumer just like you, please get a second opinion or investigate yourself on anything I advise as I am in no way legally trained. Everything I know has come from the Mighty CAG and fellow CAGGERS. :cool:

If I have helped in any way please click my reputation star and make a donation to CAG to enable us all to continue to help each other :cool:

Jumping in here, Ozzy, Beyond are once again right.

Their policy is that they are SUPPOSED to destroy card details once the payment has been made however this board will show many examples of this not happening, they have in the past kept peoples card details and tried to take payments earlier than agreed or even without agreement at all.

Direct debits are again controlled by the company and so they can change dates or even amounts if they wanted to.

Standing orders are in your control, you decide when to pay and how much, you can also cancel them easily.

You can also pay via bank transfer if you ask them for the bank details where to send them to, again you are in control and these can be done instantly nowadays so they will still get their precious payment before month end.

Thank you for all your advice, i will not be paying by card, but will advise them that i want a standing order, Majorplayer, if they try and sell me the line that they don't 'do' standing orders, can i pre-empt this by you confirming it as a fallacy?

Cheers

we started paying by debit card until one time they took 2 payments in one month plunging us into overdrawn with consequent charges. They said it was an error but kept the cash for the next months payments. As said, use only standing order, never ever give them the opportunity to suck cash from your account. There is no reason for them not to agree to standing order but from experience I know they do. Force the issue.

..Should i cancel the DD and set up a Standing order instead?? x

I would do exactly that, your all right they do not like it as they want to be in control but there is nothing they can do about it, as long as their bank details are correct and its going to your account then your account is getting paid so there is nothing they can do to stop this happening. If anyone needs help setting this up give us a shout.

I would do exactly that, your all right they do not like it as they want to be in control but there is nothing they can do about it, as long as their bank details are correct and its going to your account then your account is getting paid so there is nothing they can do to stop this happening. If anyone needs help setting this up give us a shout.

Hiya Hun, I wil need some assistance seeting this Standing order up then. The last thing i need is any un authorised payments coming out earlier than agreed . Cheers x