PC upgrade-now seems slower

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening all you technical wizards.

A couple of weeks back, my PC died and after trying various stuff I deduced that either the motherboard or the processor was stuffed so I bit the bullet and used the last of my meagre savings to upgrade it.

I bought:

Asrock N68PV-GS motherboard (The box says AM3 ready)

(The tech spec states that it supports AM2+ /AM2 processors, AMD phenom FX/Phenom/ Athlon 64 fx/ Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core/ Athlon X2 Dual Core/ Athlon 64/ Sempron Processors)

AMD Athlon X4 630 quad core processor socket AM3

Asus EN6200LE Graphics card (I don't like using onboard graphics)

160gb Seagate hard drive

I bought all this from an independent computer store

I used my existing memory and wireless card (and case obviously :)). I thought £200 for the lot wasn't too bad. On to my problem.

The PC takes forever to boot up. From the welcome screen (on XP) to being fully usable takes abouit 5 minutes and when I try to log on to the internet, that can take up to 1 minute.(I use Firefox)

I know this seems petty but I got used to clicking and going and I thought that quad core would speed me up a bit.

I do have the facility to overclock but I have never done it before and I don't want to screw things up.

If anyone has any ideas which an idiot could understand, I would appreciate it.

fox

Edited by silverfox1961
missed a bit

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Just giving this a gentle nudge:)

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Have you reinstalled XP or did you just use the drive exactly as it came from the previous setup?

If you did just change the mobo then there is your problem as the disc OS is installed to take advantage of the old bits so can't quite get it's head around all the differences of the new board.

• Haha 1

I installed a brand new hard drive so it was a clean install.

I'm beginning to think that as the motherboard is not a dedicated AM3 motherboard (it says AM3 ready??) that it might be running slow as the processor is AM3.

The website has the specs but I don't know enough to interpret them fully

That rules that out. Irrespective of anything else, 5 mins is one hell of a long time and there must be something else wrong.

Give us a link to the page.

The system bus slows down using AM3, but still should not take that long.

Have you installed 'all' the drivers especially the chipset?

Edited by Conniff

This is the link to the motherboard specs page

ASRock > Products > N68PV-GS

What memory are you using on the new build?, as conniff states, using am3, slows it down, but not this much. I would also check the bios, to ensure that the fsb is not set at a low level..

If you need a hand in checking this, please dont hesitate to shout.

take care for now

be safe

Jgg :)

• Haha 1

What memory are you using on the new build?, as conniff states, using am3, slows it down, but not this much. I would also check the bios, to ensure that the fsb is not set at a low level..

If you need a hand in checking this, please dont hesitate to shout.

take care for now

be safe

Jgg :)

I'm using 2GB DDR2 800mhz memory

I did see something on the ASrock website about using AM3 processors with an AM2+ motherboard. Something about if you are using an AM3 cpu with this M/B then the syustem bus speed will be downgraded from HT3 to HT1 but the cpu frequency will not be influenced. :?:?:?

I know how to check the bios but if it needs updating then I will need lots of help.

fox

Just an update.

I got no response from the Motherboard maker to my question but here is what I did in the meantime.

I have a program where I can overclock the system through windows so I tried that first and overclocked it by almost 5% and it was stable so I overclocked the BIOS by the same amount and my 2.8Ghz processor is now running at just over 2.9 and it is stable :)

I also overclocked the PCI express slot but only by a couple of per cent and that's ok too.

The PC still takes an age to boot but nowhere near as long (almost 3 mins) and t'internet is up and running within 15 seconds so I'll live with that now

Ta muchly for the input though :-)

is the drive your using an IDE drive ?

if so goto the device manager and find the IDE channel advanced setting and be sure it is set Ultra dma and NOT PIO

this is what your looking for in the device manger

http://www.xpmaximized.com/images/image005.gif

• Haha 1

CAG helped me beat my Lowells 2 debts :D:p

then I beat co-op costing them court fees :D:roll:

Hi Lee.

No, I have 2 hard drives installed (160&80GB) both of which are sata XP is on the 160gb and the other is just for installed programs (other than what is needed on the first drive)

only think i can think of is disabling stuff like one board graphics and going over the BIOS making sure that you ram is detected as ddr800 and your cpu is correct

also you saying you overclocking the cpu has helped this would also suggest a config problem but its one of them things you have to see for yourself

download cpuz and post the memory setting from it

also goto the device manager and make sure you have no warnings

be sure in the bios you have turned off anything you don't need like on-board graphics

CPUID

CAG helped me beat my Lowells 2 debts :D:p

then I beat co-op costing them court fees :D:roll:

Thanks again Lee,

Onboard graphics are disabled and the device manager shows no warnings. I did download that program you linked to but for most part I could make no sense of it. I'm not technically proficient enough to understand it all.

One thing I did notice is in the BIOS, the memory is showing as

Slot1 1024MB/400mhz

slot2 1024MB/400mhz

Because it is dual channel memory, is that right seeing as the memory is DDR2 1gb 800mhz on each slot

OOH I hate computers :-)

hi fox, have a look at this site.. (site, its not a commercial link) Sysinfo.org

and check the programs starting automatically in teh background against this list..

to get to the list of programs, go to start, and in the search bar, enter msconfig

hit return, a grey box comes up, and your looking at the startup tab. inside here, is a list of all programs which run in the background, and also a drain on your memory resources. The pc needs to load all these up too, before you can really start to work. A lot of them, you simply do not need running 24/7, so its safe to disable them.

If you need a hand in doing this, holler :)

take care for now

be safe

jgg :)

Morning,

Having followed the advice from you good people, my PC now boots in 2 minutes 40 seconds and my internet comes on in 15 seconds so that'll do.

(Yes I did use a stopwatch-very anal:lol:)

Thanks everybody. clicks all round