• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

heidik v barclays - **ANOTHER ONE SETTLED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Looks like I am settling soon with RBoS.

Came onto this thread to get some pointers on how Barclays behave. I am helping a friend with a sizeable claim (>£5K) and just wanted to bookmark a couple of interesting/ informative threads.

Any reference to other good Barclays threads would be great.

Thanks

j

ps, sorry....didnt mean to hijack anyone's thread and I will now retreat into the shadows.

1/9/06 RBS claim #1

8/11/06 - claim settled

17/11 claim #2 started - incl creditcard

30/11 - CC statements received

31/11 - Prelims issued - RBS paying up, only M/C to go)

If any of my advice/ info has been helpful, please click the scales:D

Please also remember that any advice is given from my own experience and in good faith as a lay person. If in doubt, please contact a qualified professional:)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread helped me a lot on what to expect - thanks a lot :)

Oh, you are so welcome ;) ... I am glad Barclays could provide entertainment for the thousands of us out there!!!!

Goodluck with yours!

Looks like I am settling soon with RBoS.

Came onto this thread to get some pointers on how Barclays behave. I am helping a friend with a sizeable claim (>£5K) and just wanted to bookmark a couple of interesting/ informative threads.

Any reference to other good Barclays threads would be great.

Thanks

j

ps, sorry....didnt mean to hijack anyone's thread and I will now retreat into the shadows.

No hijacking made?! Bookworm has been absolutely brilliant. Her case is on the 2nd November but contact has been made... wooo- just checked and she has SETTLED !!!!

Jonni2bad, Mervalous- oh, there is SO many I couldn't ready them all. Read the Success stories in barclays section. Definately motivates me everytime!

Hi, Heidi! Sorry, as you rightly gathered, I have been busy busy busy (holidays? What's that? Oh yeah, that's the time where my brats are actually diverting me from this site, lol)

Prelim hearing? Yeah, there's a few of them around. But what for, who knows... I suspect he might be on the ball and try to force a faster settlement from the bank, he might want to decide about standard disclosure... There could be a range of reasons why. Don't let it worry you.

Remember you can always call the court and ask them what it means, they are usually very helpful and will reassure you where they can.

Try to arrange to visit the court, see if you can sit in on a hearing, it makes all the difference if you can see for yourself that it is nothing like what we imagine (Old Bailey's, long black gowns, horsehair wigs, etc... NOTHING like that, lol!!!)

Making a note in my diary now ;-)

You def need your diary- is a long way off. I have all my court bundles ready and will drop off before I go away. I will call the court also and ask about the Prelim hearing.

As for sitting in on court.. I did jury service this year...hah! I def now my way around the procedure so won't be intimidated. Wow, who would have thought jury service came in handy?!

And, busy mum, enjoy your cash (FROM YOUR WIN!!!!!!) and treat yourself... you deserve it!;-)

Well, called the court today and asked what a prelim hearing is. The lady said it is an informal chat before the court hearing takes place. I asked if I need to send my docs to the court (cause I am going away for a while) and she said there is no need to do that. But, I think I will anyway - as I have gone to all the trouble and I am moving house etc... I would not want my 353 page doc to get lost!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi - long time no speak!

I contacted Rebecca Connolly the other day and asked if barclays wanted to settle before the court date and the reply was 'That is the idea'... always good to hear! She also siad that Celyn Evans is dealing with my case.

Anyway, I left my email address (as I am away at the moment) and they haven't come back to me. Does anyone know his (Celyn Evans) email address? I will try calling him Monday anyway, but wanted to leave an email.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bookworm

No, I haven't heard :rolleyes: .

I called Celyn Evans the other day and asked if Rebecca Connolly passed on my details as I am away etc etc and he said 'yes, I have your email address etc and will be in contact'.

Still not heard and that must have been nearly 2 weeks ago. I am not going to reply to my email in a hurry when I do eventually get it:p

Anyway Bookworm, you have a wonderful xmas too with your family and I WILL be contacting you in due course as to the good news!!

Take care

Hi HeidiK

Its been a while since I've been on this site, but this week has seen a flurry of activity from the courts. I first recieved a letter asking for me to send a schedule of charges etc, and to have them at the court (either though I've sent them already) by the 7th January. Then they stated that Barclays have until the beginning of February to reply before a court date will be issued.

I now have recieved a letter giving me a court date of 23rd January! You mention about a court bundle, is this similar to the one suggested in the FAQ's, or have you added your own stuff? (Just need to get one prepared as knowing my luck it'll go all the way.)

Cheers...

"The instant you open your mouth to describe a problem you can't fix, the solution you need will occur to you!"

Claim against Barclays 1.

Settled in full - 17th January 2007.

Claim against Barclays 2.

Settled at 75% of offer - cash required for Xmas.

Claim against Smile.

Settled in full, without MCOL involvment.

Claim against MBNA.

S.A.R. - 18th September 2006

Pre Lim - 24th November 2006

Damm, forgotten about this one!

Hello jigr69

I have sent the court and barclays numerous copies of the schedule of charges (with EVERY single letter and when lodging moneyclaim form). The courts then gave me a date but it is not a hearing it is more of a mediation meeting. I think they are calling the banks bluff... they obviously know the banks have had many cases against them which effectively waste courts time by settling before the court date.

I sent my court bundle in November (courts commented on how organised I was!). It is the one in the FAQ and the one theat Jonni2bad states and the lovely Bookworm states a lady whose site came in very handy for the court bundle.

I hope this helps?! Goodluck with everything.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All!

Long time no chat ;) ! Well, seems the pressure of it all at Barclays has made Mr Celyn Evans quit? I now am dealing with Kyrsta Campbell. Good news... they have made an offer. Not the full amount I was wanting but pretty good. My circumstances have changed (I am pregnant) so I would prefer as little stress as poss! I have accepted their offer but I will not get excited until it is in my account.

They actually sent me a letter to my home address but alas, I informed Mr Evans on many occasions that I am away from November to 20 January hence, email me. My hubby got home and saw the letter with the offer and I got on to them. Incompetence? I certainly let them know bout it anyway :D .

I will inform you all when I have WON!!!

Wow, he didn't last long, did he??? :shock:

I swear we're wearing them down one by one!!! :-D

Heidi, well done. You do know if you'd held out, you'd have got the full amount, don't you?... Still, you must do what's best for you.

Congratulations on the pregnancy as well, that's what I call a double whammy, talk of growth and prosperity! :lol:

Hi Bookworm

Long time no speak hey! I know I would have got the full amount but I really can't be bothered... I have such bad monring sickness I have not been able to get the the PC lately?!

My hubby sent the form back (joint account) and under my strict instructions he crossed out the confidentiality term and stated clearly we will not be calling the court as to the settlement until all money is in the account. So they should get it Thursday. I am also in Australia so it makes the whole process so drawn out.

Bring on 7 months!