Jump to content

Tax Credit Overpayments.....


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4505 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all,


I had a phone call recently from the collections dept at tax credits trying to claim back 2 seperate overpayments I've apparently received.


I've queried both and on both occasions they relate to when I've notified them of a change in circumstances. On each occasion they've confirmed I've notified them ON THE DAY (they won't allow you to call them beforehand) of the changes and state that the overpayments are due to my payments already being issued to me within a couple of days of me calling them.


ARGHHHHHHH!! I always check my award notices to make sure the information is correct and being so assume that the award given by them is correct.


I have an appeals form ready to send back but I'm sure I heard on GMTV that as long as you've given them the change of circumstance information on the day it occured you are not liable to repay anything...


Is this true??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I work for Tax Credits and yes i probably could get sacked for this but hey i thought id give you guys some help with Overpayments.


First thing to do is make a note of the tax year e.g. 2006-2007.

call the tax credit helpline and ask for the reason of the overpayment.

Then ask to check each tax year and if there are any further overpayments.


keep noting dates, amounts and reasons


Once you have all the information ask for an overpayment dispute form,

when you recieve the form you can dispute up to five overpayments for differnt tax years, complete the form and send it back.


This will put a hold on any recovery proceedings and there is also a chance (although not likely) the dispute will be found in your favour.


at this point i would keep a note of the response for each tax year and reasons.


Unless you have extra evidence to support a dispute again if unsucessful the decsion would remain the same.


If this is the case i would contact my local MP giving reasons you feel you should not have to repay and list all overpayments in tax years outstanding. ( in most cases when an MP gets involved the overpayment will be written off.)


failing this you do have the right to appeal.


contact the tax credit helpline and request an appeals leaflet, an appeal is a very long drawn out process as are all of the above meathods but if you follow this you should not have to repay a penny.


hope this helps, and please be nice on the phone,

its understandable you will be annoyed at having an overpayment but the advisors will be more likely to help you in more detail.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shannon trust me you wont get sacked for this - Brilliant advice. I really wish everyone in TCO is like you.:)

:-|Impossible is I'M Possible:lol:

If you think the advice given is useful then show your appreciation by clicking on the scales.

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you have informed them of change of circs as you have said then don't worry


i have had an overpayment every single year since tax credits began (due to my ever changing circs!) every time i have kept them informed and every time they have mucked up


if they dispute you informed them, SAR them (they don't charge) they will send you a paper mountain and cds of any phonecalls you have made. I have disputed every overpayment successfully by doing this. It takes alot of trawling but it's there and you can prove the mistake is theirs and not yours

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks,

just to join in the conversation.... I have just finished paying an overpayment back over the last three months. I received the initial letter ( overpayment was in 2004 ), last year. I then wrote back asking them why it had taken them five years to contact me, and yet on the letter, i was informed they wanted it repaid in ONE MONTH.

I appealed against it ( twice, i believe ), but no dice, i still had to pay it.


Shannon, if you do read this, can you please tell me how these mistakes happen. They send you forms every year. At the time ( i dont receive T/C's now ), i filled the forms in completely and sent my and my partners p60's and wage slips. I informed them each and every time i had a raise at work etc, and yet still, they overpay me and for some reason its MY fault.


why does it take them FIVE years to tell me.

Plus after i made the last payment, i wrote to them asking for confirmation in writing that i now owe nothing. That was three weeks ago and guess what....i've heard nothing.


This whole system seems to be as gain as the CSA system.


I think the whole lot needs renewing.



Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.



have a nice day !!

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...