Rendering telephone harassment obsolete

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm sorry if someone's already mentioned this, but I have an idea (mostly only really applicable to Truecall owners).

My whocallsme thread suggests culling together a comprehensive list of DCA/bailiff company numbers, so each number on WCM will have a link leading to CAG (heavy work, but I'm getting there in stages!).

However, once a fairly comprehensive list of numbers is done, that'll make it markedly easier to bar these numbers from ever calling through on Truecall's zap list.

Extra insurance in advance that NONE of these numbers will ever get through to try and bully or terrorise you.

And better yet, the list can be copy-pasted into any WCM thread with a 'get Truecall to block these numbers from ever calling you' message, with links to where Truecall is available - as well as the links to CAG I mentioned before as well!

It's free advertising for CAG, and for Truecall also. CAG and Truecall gets extra public awareness, and the DCAs/bailiffs suffer as they richly deserve.

I don't see a problem with this myself - WCM is about public awareness of certain numbers after all!

What does everyone else think?

Hello F DCAs!

It may also be worth knowing that most numbers these days are Digital, at least when it comes to banks and call centres.

IOW, they are acquired in blocks, known as DDI numbers, or Direct Dialling In.

The banks and DCAs will buy/rent numbers in blocks of ten, and the big banks and DCAs in blocks of up to a couple of thousand.

For example, I think the Barclays Threat-O-Matic has a block that probably goes from:

08448 110000

To:

08448 111999

Thus, any number that calls within that 2,000 number DDI block will be the twats at Barclays trying to hide behind a big bunch of numbers to pretend they are not really Harassing people.

So, try to spot DDI blocks. Look for a bank or DCA, and then search WCM for numbers that you think may be in the same block. I bet you'll soon see what I mean.

Once you have sussed a DDI Block, then you can no doubt tell Truecall to block the whole DDI Block!

DDIs can be bought as Single Number DDIs, so it's possible that a really crafty bank or DCA may try to buy a mixed bag of numbers, but then it gets much harder to program their PABX systems, which tend to be based around sequential DDI Blocks, i.e. they concentrate on the last few digits such as 000 to 009, or 000 to 049, 000 to 099, or 000 to 999 etc.

To see if you can get the hang of this, who might a call from this number be:

08448 111651

Or...

08448 110052

I think you will see what I mean!

Cheers,

BRW

Hi BRW,

May be worth asking Truecall direct if there is a way of blocking such numbers.

Even though it's not specified in the manual, that doesn't mean there isn't already a way around DDI groups. I can't imagine Truecall would have made such a glaring slip, but I suppose it's possible.

Hello F DCAs!

Just to clarify, DDIs are just numbers, so nothing special about them in terms of what comes in when they call you.

The key is they tend to be acquired in blocks of 10 or more, so once you know a few numbers from a block, you can probably guess where the start and end numbers will be.

Once sure, then sit down with a Beer and, for now, until the Software allows blocks of numbers to be blocked, then you'll just have to bang them in one at a time.

Cheers,

BRW