• Tweets

• Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Benefit Fraud Interview Under Caution - worried sick

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I've just found this site online and registered for the first time. I am in an awful state (crying, scared and extremely overwrought) and would be grateful for any advice anyone can offer please.

I am 47, single with no partner or children (sadly) and have a modest shared ownership property - meaning that I have a mortgage on 50% and pay rent to a housing association on the other 50%.

Having lost my job in July 2008, I claimed Job Seeker's Allowance, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit/relief and, after a long drawn out battle managed to get the Jobcentre to contribute just a *tiny amount towards my monthly mortgage.

* I was devastated to learn that they 'disallowed' the remortgage I'd taken in 2006 because it was mainly for the purposes of debt consolidation, so they only paid interest on the amount of my original mortgage, which was only one-third the size of my current mortgage! Doesn't that seem mad?! If I'd been better off an had remortgaged for the purposes of home improvements or something, it might've been allowed! This country only helps those who are well off to start with, it seems! My lender has been incredibly unhelpful and refused to bring down my supposedly 'variable rate' in line with national interest rate drops - but that's another story I guess).

I was working really hard to find another job and whilst I was extremely grateful for the benefits I received, I was short by about £500 monthly for my essential/compulsory outgoings only, before even thinking about food and suchlike. I contacted the C.A.B., the Jobcentre and Shelter asking each one what I could do to legally make up that money in order to survive, but no-one could offer any help or advice at all. (In fact, one of the young girls I saw at Shelter was positively rude and ignorant - she looked at my financial spreadsheet, said "I can't do anything to help you" and went off to lunch leaving me sitting there, in stunned silence!)

It transpired that if I earned any money whatsoever (even through selling personal belongings!) it should be declared and would be deducted from my benefits.

In Jan 2009 I was kind of glad I wasn't working because my 80 year old father suffered a heart attack, underwent major surgery and every day for 3 weeks I took my 76 year old Mother on the 60 mile round trip to visit him in hospital. (I received no help with travel costs and were it not for my poor Mum and brother forking out for fuel - neither of whom could really afford it - I would not have been able to visit Dad in hospital at all).

In March 2009 I was offered a temporary job and, although the wage was to be much lower than my previous roles, I of course had to accept it and was glad to return to work. I fully intended to sign off benefits, of course, but didn't do so immediately as I'd built up mortgage and rent arrears which I wanted to try and clear in order to remove the threat of repossession. However, even with the benefits still in place and the temping job, I was still only just about able to make ends meet. I should point out here that for at least the last few years I’ve been leading a very quiet and frugal little life, spending only what's essential and never going out anywhere. I don't drink or smoke (can't afford to) and my only indulgence/entertainment is the TV, computer and my dear little house rabbit, who is very cheap to keep anyway.

I'm afraid I felt forced into continuing to temp and claim until I finally got a permanent job and signed off in December 2009. (Unfortunately, that job didn't work out and when I received the offer of another temp assignment starting this March, I sought advice from the Jobcentre who agreed I should take it as the opportunities were better. They advised that if/when the temp job ended, I could claim again if I hadn't found a permanent job beforehand. They were very helpful and supportive - as they knew the mad old bint I'd been working for!)

Please believe me when I say that I suffered dreadfully all the way through with hideous anxiety, depression and fear. I was desperate to be able to sign off and come clean all the way through, but was really desperate, financially, just to keep going. I am a hard working, honest person and I spend my life 'giving' and doing nice things for other people, and this situation was causing me a horrendous amount of stress.

Last week I received the letter I had been dreading, summoning me to an interview under caution on 10th March. I completely fell apart and have been sobbing ever since. I am living in absolute abject terror of what will happen. At the risk of sounding melodramatic, I can't eat or sleep, I've got a constant 'heavy' feeling in my chest and I feel as though I'm going to drop dead through sheer angst and heart failure! (I've asked friends and family not to have me resuscitated if I do as I just find this life too hard and would love to go to sleep and never wake again!)

I've emailed the C.A.B. requesting advice and have also requested a call on Monday evening from www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk

I do, of course, realise that I'll have to repay the money and fully intend to be completely honest about everything, but I'm worried sick that

· I could be evicted from my home

· I might have to go to prison (I’d die!)

· I’ll get a criminal record and will never be able to get a decent job again in order to ever get life back on track

· When my current temporary job ends I’ll not be allowed to claim and I will have no income whatsoever

Hindsight tells me that I should have sold my house long ago and moved back in with my parents, but they only have a very small and modest 2-3 bed bungalow and have separate bedrooms since Dad’s heart op. They'd always wanted a proper dining room and when my brother an I eventually left home, they finally turned bedroom 3 into the long awaited dining room. Going back home would not only mean they have to lose their dining room again, but would cause them a great deal of upheaval but also physical work that they’re not fit for as they’d have to clear out their dining room so I could have a bedroom. They're wonderful, loving and supportive and would welcome me with open arms, but I don’t want to put them through all that. They're devastatingly upset now on knowing what hell I'm going through.

I’m so sorry that this is such a long post. There’s a lot more I could add, but I’ll leave it there. Thank you for reading and if anyone has any words of wisdom to offer me, I’d be really grateful.

Blessings to you all.

Damsel-in-Distress

Damsel In Distress

*** If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. :-| ***

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Damsel,

That's quite a pickle you seem to be in. As Oscar Wilde once said: I can resist everything but temptation.

And, let's face it, when you're in deep financial trouble and struggling to just survive, then not quite getting around to signing off is a vast temptation.

I can't give you any proper advice but I'm sure others will in time.

All I can say is that, if it were I, then I would be totally honest and upfront about the matter. Take proof of income / expenditure with you. I bet you can easily prove you weren't out partying every night!

At this stage don't let the thought of prison cross your mind. I think it would be incredibly unlikely in your case. Any overpayment needs to be repaid and I suspect you're more likely to face some form of financial penalty than anything else.

Are there any other solutions to your housing problems? Is there any way your scheme can be adjusted to help you out?

Stay positive hunni.

Best wishes.

Rae

Edited by RaeUK
type o

I agree with Kelcou :)

I think the only thing to do is to admit it, it will not be as bad as you think.

Its hard to live on benefits at the best of times but when you are a single person with only basic benefit then its impossible.

Dont beat your self up its done now,

Get the interview over with I dont think you will end up in court, just an overpayment hopefully.

If you come out of work again you will be able to sign on again without a problem.

It seems a struggle your mortgage but hopefully things will improve and a better job will come along soon

Good luck with the IUC

• Haha 1

Omg, there is so many of these IUC threads appearing, what is going on here, are the powers to be trying to get money back from us poor souls because of the MP expenses? Get a solicitor is the best advice i can give, and also look after yourself too, stress is not good for you, good luck x

Thank you all so much for your replies, which have brought me a degree of comfort. I am preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best.

It would seem like total madness if I got a fine, but it would be typical of this darned country I'm afraid. If you're poor, you get penalised left right and centre and made to pay more for things ... on what planet does that make sense ?!? :mad:

Kelcou (Rae) - thanks for the suggestion re trying to change my housing scheme. On explaining my plight (before all this kicked off) my housing association said that they might be able to buy back my 50% share of the half in order to clear my (troublesome) mortgage and allow me to remain in situ as a tenant, paying full rent. Sadly, once I'd formally applied, they said they were unable to help! I appealed but have now been declined twice. If I don't get evicted as a result of this (which I'm scared about) I will either have to sell (not easy, as I can't even afford the HIPs pack or the £175 for the compulsory valuation that the housing association insist upon) or move into my lounge and rent both bedrooms out. The latter is far from ideal as the house needs some tlc which costs.

Mikey - you seem to speak with authority about this and I found comfort in your positivity. Thank you very much.

Janieski - hmmm, makes you wonder about the expenses scandal, doesn't it? Thank you for the kind words: I will try to look after myself but the stress is taking it's toll. It's true what they say about stress hormones - they've pumped up my 'spare tyre' no end, which just adds to the general crappiness of the whole situation.

Thank you all for your thoughts and kind replies which are very much appreciated.

Bright blessings to you all.

Damsel In Distress

*** If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. :-| ***

...Sadly, once I'd formally applied, they said they were unable to help! I appealed but have now been declined twice...

So sorry to hear that, it was what I had in mind. Unfortunately I don't know much about that sort of scheme - I'm 100% Housing Association. Could they not meet you half-way at 75/25?

I do wish you all the best, hunni.

Rae.

Hi damsel, im afraid i cant give you any advice re the situation from a legal point of view but seeing as though i have and still am going through the same thing i really feel for you i completely understand how you are feeling as you have basically described every emotion i have been going through. What i do want to say is ... try not to get into too much of a state .... prison is very extreme so dont worry about that being an option ( i got myself into such a state worrying about prison!) . My whole process has now gone on for about 5 months so it does take time, with regards to the IUC if its possible take a solicitor with you i did and i have found them extremely helpful even if it just makes the IUC less scary take one with you.

i have deleted my initial dillema off here (dont know who reads these things - paranoi is a new attribute to my personality since all this!!) but please feel free ask me anything and if i can put your mind at ease in anyway i will. Take care and seriously try not to make your self ill with worry ... you havent murdered anyone or done anything that nobody else in the country has done or is doing!

Hi Damsel,

I wanted to respond to your post because of the circumstances you are in. I would think that unless you have a string of previous convictions you would be exceptionally unlikely to go to prison given your circumstances. Firstly, you did not set out to purposely commit a fraud did you? Secondly, you were hardly using your benefits to fund a lavish lifestyle. These are factors that would be considered as mitigating circumstances in your defence.

I would think that if anything you could end up with an administrative penalty - a bit of a perverse punishment given your financial circumstances I must admit.

Also, I must say that you have an excellent attitude regarding being open and honest about it and stating your intention to repay the money.

My best advice to you is if you have to let the house go, let it go - it's bricks and mortar. It's sad to see people get in such a state because through no fault of their own they find themselves in a difficult financial position but the most important thing is to keep the mind and body strong. You have a battle on your hands and so you must be well equiped for it. Get your 8 hours, eat and drink regularly and keep positive. Do as much as you can to safeguard your situation and try and put some temporary arrangements in place for things like accommodation.

Personally, I think you seem like a very nice and decent person so, as others have said, don't beat yourself up about the situation. I am sure that no good person would think badly of you at all.

At the end of the day, you're 47 years young and depending on what happens there is plenty of time for you to start again if you need to.

Keep your chin up sweetie.

All the best,

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Thank you ALL so much for your kind and thoughtful messages of support, empathy and good advice. They are all very much appreciated.

I have an appointment with a solicitor on Thursday 4th March, but that's getting rather too close to the IUC itself (10th March) for my liking. As far as I know, this will only be the initial free consultation wherein the solicitor will find out about my case and see if I'm eligible for legal aid. (I have not a penny to my name, so I'm totally up the creek without a paddle if he can't help me!).

I've spent time on the PC putting together my 'story' and have gone back through my records in order to make a spreadsheet showing ALL the temp work I did whilst having to still claim. It's lucky that I'm so organised because all my payslips had been emailed to me by my temp agencies, so finding them was easy. To my surprise, I only actually worked 'illegally' for 19 weeks! Because I was SO worried throughout, it felt as though I'd be doing this for ages.

I've been really 'up and down' emotionally and cried buckets in front of my doctor last week. He's prescribed Prozac and wanted to sign me off from my temp job for at least 3 weeks, but I simply cannot afford not to work, no matter how I feel, especially with this payback and potential fine hanging over me. (I agree 'freedom-trail': how perverse indeed would a further financial punishment be seeing as all this mess was caused by a lack of funds in the first place. That's just typical of this country though, isn't it? As you rightly say, I hardly used the money to fund a lavish lifestyle).

I had a few days of kind of respite last week, when I felt that I was getting extra help from someone/somewhere as the heavy worry felt as though it had been pulled away from me slightly. However, other day to day problems send me straight back into the downward spiral (a car breakdown is the latest slap in the face that fate has dealt me) and it frightens me to see how easily I completely fall apart.

"lil miss stressed": it was good (in an odd way) to hear that you went through the same emotions - although I wish I could wave a wand and take all this away from any of us who are genuinely not criminal-minded. It's a concern to hear that your situation has dragged on for so long. Any news yet?

"the_freedom_trail": thank you so much for your good advice which I am trying to heed. Your reply was sensibly thought-out and helps me to see things more in perspective.

"MIKEY DABODEE": thank you for your kind message too, which again comforted me. As aforementioned, I'm preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

"Kelcou": thank you for your further message. The housing association won't play ball at all sadly and I've clearly a cause for complaint there (which is another story and yet another item to add to my list of 'fire fighting' work to undertake! It's relentless!). My only options really are to either sell my house or take in lodgers - neither of which are straightforward at all in my case. I feel really trapped and frightened.

Today is my birthday and I've taken a paid day's holiday from my temp job in the hope of escapism. However, my ailing car has put paid to that. Tsk ... life just continues to crap on me from a great height!!! lmao! On a more positive note, I hereby declare that I am 27 today, not 47!!!

Bright blessings and warmest regards to you all.

xXx

Damsel In Distress

Hello Damsel and Happy Birthday! I hope the day improves.

As you say, it's lucky you're organised and the work you've done will help the people at your future meeting understand the position. I think that's the best thing you can do to help yourself.

Fingers crossed for you, please let us know what the lawyer says.

My best, HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Bless you honeybee13! Thank you very much. I am counting my blessings as my darling parents [though elderly] live nearby and are waiting to see me in order to feed me up and give me gifts and cards.

Also, my increasingly troublesome situation over the past few years, coming to a head with this IUC etc, has sorted the wheat from the chaff amongs my friends and so-called friends!

No matter how bad it gets, there are always blessings to be counted, n'est pas?

Have a good day yourself.

Thanks and warmest regards

x

Damsel In Distress

Hi,

I read your post with sadness.

I lost my home 6 years ago due to a failing buisness etc, so I understand that part of your worry.

Is there anyway you could get a lodger to help out with the mortgage etc as you live on your own. This avenue was not open to me at the time because I had children and no spare room.

I also understand the desperate feeling you had that made you take the course of action you did.

I feel sure everything will work out for you, chin up swetheart and remember, no matter how black things seem there is always someone much worse of than you.

Good Luck and hugs to you.

Hi Damsel,

One last piece of advice I would like to offer you is don't let the DWP load the gun! I would never advise anyone to mislead the DWP in an IUC but by the same token don't let them put words in your mouth about motive or anything like that. Secondly, whilst I suggest being as cooperative as possible, please put your bravest face on! The DWP investigators work on targets and so they go for the quick wins which are usually the more vulnerable people in society (notice how many threads there are about single mothers and IUC on this forum). Stand firm and stick to your story. I think you have been very clever by preparing what you want to say in advance.

All the very best of luck,

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Happy Birtday :)

hope you enjoyed you day

I would say you will get legal aid to help you with your case

LSC Website : Can I get legal aid?

You are doing everything right in getting yourself ready for this, writing everything down going in there and putting all your cards on the table so to speak.

At the end of the day its sad but the interviewers are only two people doing their jobs, granted they are working to targets and its not the nicest job in the world but its only a job and they are only jobcentre staff, so please dont be worried.

Go in and be honest admit it all and it will be over and done and dusted in no time. They will see you are a honest person who has made a simple mistake and I am sure this will go in your favour.

And you will come out the other end. :) I think with an overpayment

You sound such a lovely person and I really hope things work out for you.

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

Hi Damsel, just wanted to pass through and wish you the happiest of birthdays, you really do deserve one.

Paul makes a good point about a lodger. I suspect you must have considered this if it was appropriate. I think - roughly speaking - you can have up to £80 per week before it attracts tax, so it's a good deal. And, of course, extra help by way of shared utility bills...

Best wishes

Rae x

[oh, did you save me a slice of cake??? :) ]

Edited by RaeUK
type o

Hello Damsel, and happy birthday! Are you aware that you can ask for the interview to be deferred in order to seek advice or representation?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks SO much everyone. I really appreciate the comforting words and good advice.

Feeling a bit flat I'm afraid, as the dark cloud hanging over me did (despite my best efforts) bring me down and my birthday was very quiet and low key. Mind you, I don't expect surprises these days (Jonny Depp doesn't phone, doesn't write ...;))

Goodnight and pleasant dreams to you all.

Damsel In Distress

Hi Damsel,

One last piece of advice I would like to offer you is don't let the DWP load the gun! I would never advise anyone to mislead the DWP in an IUC but by the same token don't let them put words in your mouth about motive or anything like that. Secondly, whilst I suggest being as cooperative as possible, please put your bravest face on! The DWP investigators work on targets and so they go for the quick wins which are usually the more vulnerable people in society (notice how many threads there are about single mothers and IUC on this forum). Stand firm and stick to your story. I think you have been very clever by preparing what you want to say in advance.

All the very best of luck,

What ridiculous advise.

The fraud investigators should have details of all the wages you have earned. They won’t need to try to force you to say anything.

The basic rules as far as prosecutions are concerned are:-

Overpayment more than £2000 - Prosecution & repayment

Less than £2000 but don’t admit it - Departmental caution, repayment & a 20% fine.

Less than £2000 but admits it - Departmental caution & repayment.

You do the maths, but if you admit it, explain you’re situation & apologise, as long as your overpayment is less than £2000 you should get a caution. This is NOT a criminal record & is kept on file for 5 years. After 5 years as long as no other benefit offences take place it’s destroyed. However if an offence takes place in that period then you will probably face prosecution no matter what the overpayment is.

TFT

What ridiculous advise.

The fraud investigators should already have details of all the wages you have earned. They won’t need to try to force you to say anything.

The basic rules as far as prosecutions are concerned are:-

Total overpayment more than £2000 - Prosecution & repayment

Overpayment less than £2000 but don’t admit it - Departmental caution, repayment & a 20% fine.

Overpayment less than £2000 but admits it - Departmental caution & repayment.

You do the maths, but if you admit it, explain you’re situation & apologise, as long as your overpayment is less than £2000 you should get a caution. This is NOT a criminal record & is kept on file for 5 years. After 5 years as long as no other benefit offences take place it’s destroyed. However if an offence takes place in that period then you will probably face prosecution no matter what the overpayment is.

If you don't accept a departmental caution you also face prosecution.

Hello Jabba. Do you experience of this? I would be interested to know why you think the previous advice is ridiculous.

Yes I do have some experience. The previous advice seemed to confusing a living together investigation with a working investigation. They are totally different situations.

Living together cases are often very confusing. People live very complicated lives & whilst the evidence an investigator has can suggest one thing, the actual truth can be very different.

A working case is often cut & dry. If the investigator has details from the employer, other than stolen ID (& that can be proved very easily) it's pretty obvious what has happened. The investigator shouldn't need to "put words into your mouth".

Trying to deny it only makes the outcome (20%) worse.

Hay Dams, I had one of them, last october. If you have been getting benefits of any kind you can hire a crimminal solicitor even if they have stopped yr benefits. You should get legal aid. They are nasty and like to twist things.

I denied all allegations. They said they where going to get into my bank account, check me out with imagration, all sorts of things. I was spoken to like ****. I was also tricked to going to there interview. They said they wanted a chatt about the person i share a house with. i am not in a relationship, just share a house with a work college. They said they wanted to know how i could afford a nice car, and live in a nice house. I was only on benefits for 4 months. i SPOKE TO THE CRIMMINAL SOLICITOR. She told me that they can not get into my bank account and could not go to immagration. I have not been out of this country in five years. They said if i had i was in deeep trouble. (edit)! Its just rubbish. The only evedence he showed me was a face book page which was five yrs old, and a tampered with old work contract from an x employee. I appealed to the council, got no responce and now i have gone to my local govrenment ombudsman. Who has given the chief exc of the council my second complaint and told them to deal with it.

In this situation you need to complain and complain, i was interviewd like a terrorist. I have worked and paid uk taxes all my life. And just a short few months on benefits has caused so much trouble. I will fight all the way. If you are innocent fight them. The benefit system is there for us to use in times when we have no other means. I have not abused it.

Another thing never ever go into these interviews alone. What people dont understand is you are put under caution, they can say what they want to you. If you get a crimminal SOLICITOR AND TAKE THEM WITH YOU. CRIMMINAL SOLICITORS ARE **** hot. i HAD ADVICE FROM ONE. Amazin what she told me. Like what the investigators can and can not do. No they

can not get into my bank account, and check it, no they can not go to immagration, ihope they do, it will prove i am telling the truth. Loads of stuff, i was shakin in my boots until i took advice. The best bit of advice was do not worry. IT TAKES MONTHS FOR THEM TO GET TO THE END OF IT. FIVE MONTHS NOW ALL I HAVE HAD IS ONE INVOICE. THAT WAS IN NOVEMBER 09. I APPEALED AND IT STOPPED THEM SENDING THE INVOICES. Appeal and they have around 12 wks to answer, then appeal again. Also write letters of complaint, lots of them to all agencies concerned. I know it is fustrating but hang on in there. Do not stress. The one bad thing the investigators did to me was what they said when they switched the tape off, at the end. He said he was going to get me big time. Cause i swore at him a few times, and told him to find some real evidence to take me to court.

Stand up for rights, we live in a democratic country. Not china.

Sorry about spellings.

Edited by ErikaPNP
circumvention of swear filter

I know i have done nothing wrong! Its still going to take a lot to prove it and i am not out of the wood yet! Far from it. But ones thing for sure if they wanna spout (edit) i will fire it back. All these people who are frightened should not be, worried sick and not sleeping. The lose of there homes. These (edit) who do this so called investigating are Knobs. They should be the ones who can not sleep at night. (edit) if you do not protect yourself and get some legal aid and a crimminal solic, they will unfortunatly (edit) all over anybody they can. Crimminal solic are trained to fight your corner no matter what you have done or have not done, weather you are right or wrong. Phone one and ask for a free consultation over the phone, you will be amazed at what they tell you.

Edited by ErikaPNP
pm sent to user

To be fair some dwp staff do read and have been very helpful in giving time and advice on threads on various issues and I am glad they do.

But I can see why you are so worked up, try and calm down the language though or cagbot will get you:D:D