Car Accident - Help Plzz

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone :) how are you? Just wondered if anyone here could give me some advice?

Basically yesturday someone hit me on the front of my car a peugeot 106 1.1 Vreg zest 3, and he pushed my engine back and the radiator fluids poored out and their are many dents on the bonnet and front light. I took his insurance details, number plate and full name. He was ok with it!

3 minutes later a finance director of a car hire firm & insurance said hi mate, I just see the accident i'll be your witness - which is so damn LUCKY of all people to witness it.

The advice I basically need is, 1) Will MY insurance company need to be told about ANY of this? seeing as it wasn't my fault (im third party fire and theft)

2) What courtesy car will I be entitled to on avergae?

3) Whats the next step? will they repair my car:? scrap it? will I get paiid - Just what is basic procedure because Im young and dont know a lot about it - Someone told me my 2ncb will go !! thats why im not to sure.... please help anyone i'll appreciate it so much!

Edited by LuK2007
Removed commercial link

Hello and Welcome, LuK2007.

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum, I'm also removing the Commercial Link in your post.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

1) Yes, you MUST contact your insurance company and put in a claim. They will then deal with the other party's insurance company. Make sure that you include all details including details of any witnesses.

2) This varies from company to company. You may get a clue from the documentation supplied when you took out the insurance.

3) They will arrange for the car to go to one of their approved repair agents, where it will be examined and a decision will be made whether to repair or scrap, depending on the extent of the damage. At the end of the day, the outcome will be down to the insurance company's decision.

4) No claims bonus. I assume from your question that you don't have NCB protection. In that case, quite probably you'll lose that, depending on if the insurance company puts any blame for the accident on you.

For what it costs, I would seriously consider having NCB protection added to your policy.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

ahh thanks for the advice, but why should I lose my NCB if someone else hits me? Like for example if i had 10 years NCB and some "idiot" crashed into me - is that 10 years a waste of effort? I mean the crash wasnt my fault and Im a safe driver and the guy whose fault it was even admits it was his fault

I read in your post that you have third party insurance.

Yes you do have to notify your insurers of the accident but they will not do anything for you, they will not arrange for it to go to an approved repairer that is only done for policy holders who have fully comprehensive insurance)

You need to sort this out for yourself

Have a read through the template letters they will help you with your claim

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/insurance-assurance-companies/247552-motor-accident-template-letters.html

Mossy

I read in your post that you have third party insurance.

Yes you do have to notify your insurers of the accident but they will not do anything for you, they will not arrange for it to go to an approved repairer that is only done for policy holders who have fully comprehensive insurance)

You need to sort this out for yourself

Have a read through the template letters they will help you with your claim

Mossy

Thanks for the advice but im the NON FAULT driver I didnt cause or intend to have this accident so why should I suffer for other peoples doings? HIS insurance should pay for everything? is that correct? I mean I know now that I have to tell my insurance about it but they will just note it down, they wont have to pay a penny...? maybe I'm wrong - Im confused man :(

His insurance will pay for everything if you are not at fault

You do not have fully comprehensive insurance so they will not do anything about the repairs to your car, that is all up to you to sort out.

You will not lose your no claims bonus UNLESS a claim is made against you, and given what you have said about the accident circumstances that shouldn't happen. A no claims bonus is just what it says, it is a bonus for not making a claim (you cannot claim because you are not covered for your damage and the third party cannot claim because you state the accident was his fault)

You need to sort out getting the estimates, if your car is still driveable send letter 6 from the template letters, and give his insurers a chance to inspect the damage and authorise you to get the repairs done.

Any courtesy car is down to the garage, or the third party insurers (if they have that facility), otherwise you will have to hire one and claim back the cost. You will probably have to pay for the repairs yourself and claim that back from the other persons insurance as well, although some third party insurers will pay out on the estimate as a cash in lieu of repair settlement.

Mossy

• Haha 1

Thanks - I apprecitate your time I really do ;) lol, So if I havent got the money in LIEU then what am I supposed to do - I need my car I use it for work and im going to lose money over this - the way I see it why should I suffer anything over someone else smashing into me wether it be finanically or time wasting on my behalf - he admits its he's fault and I have a very good witness account. So I should be a ok right? they will beable to sort everything out and no money comes out of my pocket which also means when i renew my policy? Thanks mate!

The way third party insurance works is that you sort out any repairs to your own car and then claim it back, you won't suffer financially if the other driver confirms you were not at fault (and your witness will help your case if he does try and deny liability).

If you cannot afford to pay for the repairs and then claim back the cost ask the other persons insurance for a cash in lieu of repairs settlement and explain that you just cannot afford to pay for repairs until they pay you out, it's a fairly standard way to deal with a claim.

Mossy

The best thing you can do is liase direct with the other persons insurance. Due to "Credit Hire" arrangements the other persons insurance company will be begging you to go direct with them.

Ring them, advise you had an accident, you feel it was their Insureds fault and you have an independant witness, advise them your vehicle is undriveable and you need a replacement hire vehicle - ask them if they can provide you with one, and to deal with the repairs (TBH I can almost certainly state it will be damaged beyond economical repair due to the damage you have stated).

If they advise they cannot provide you with a replacement vehicle same day, tell them you will go to a credit hire agency who will provide you with a vehicle at rip off rates - they might change their mind then....

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Whoa Mossy, he may only have third party cover but he may still have legal expenses.

I know for one I would not pay out to reclaim or do any running about to get it sorted. Report to your insurance, check status of legal expenses. If you have them kindly ask them to sort this out for you.

Kwaks, I assumed that because the OP posted his insurance cover level and didn't mention legal protection that he didn't have any.

If there is legal protection or an uninsured loss recovery scheme in place then yes I'd agree use that, it's what you have paid for.

Mossy