samsung netbook

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

was working fine

lent it to a mate, came back empty

turn on and now nothing!

cant connect to net as there is nothing come up on screen

no nothing at all

is there a way to restore it please?

I don't know the equipment, but clutching at straws.....

Try removing the battery for a few minutes.

Replace and try re-booting.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

it doesnt respond, pressed f8 when turned on

comes up with the samsung screen for about 1 seconds then goes black

then beeps after pressing anything

screen then says operating system not found

It rather sounds as though you've lost the entire operating system, which would also explain why you cant put it into safe mode.

Unless anyone knows different, it sounds to me as though you will have to have a complete re-install of the op/system.

Sounds as though a trip to the supplier is required.

WORD OF WARNING>>>>> Don't lend it to him again!

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Just to double check I meant that you should keep pressing on and off the F8 key all the time the netbook is booting up, not just a single press.

It sounds like your ex-friend has managed to either damage or delete the operating system. However like you I have a Samsung Netbook yours will/should have come with a recovery disc so you should be able to reinstall the OS although any data you had saved may be lost. At best it may allow you to carry out a "repair" rather than a total reinstall, but don't hold your breath...

Your friend may deny everything from feelings of guilt, but have you asked him about this?

If nothing else, it might give you some hint as to what has happened, although, from the symptoms you've given, it does sound rather like the OS cannot be started, either because the boot sector is corrupt or it has been removed completely.

A quick test you can try is to boot into BIOS on startup. On your model, you need to hit F2 as the Samsung logo appears to get into BIOS. Be very careful in here; you can easily disable vital parts of the system, so unless you're comfortable with BIOS, this is very much a case of look and don't touch.

Now, what you're hunting for here are two things:

Firstly, you're making sure that the system can 'see' the hard drive (and consequently data on that drive). BIOS layouts can vary, but there should be something that says HDD Model: or Hard Drive Detected: followed by the name of the drive. If you find this and a drive is clearly shown, then your system is detecting the drive, which makes it more likely to be a problem with the Windows software rather than the hardware.

The second check is somewhere in the BIOS will bee a Boot Order or Boot Listing. This is a simple list of what the system should boot, and in what order. What you're checking here is that the hard drive you found in stage one is listed first.

If both checks are fine (drive detected and listed as boot first) you can come out of BIOS, and be pretty certain it is the copy of Windows that is failing.

As to action, you could try the repair is you have the recovery disc or a fresh installation.

An alternative that will at least get you up and running with an Operating System would be to use Ubuntu.

If you have a CD/DVD drive, Ubuntu can be found HERE, and will give you a stable, fast operating system for free.

If you don't have an optical drive, there's a lite edition especially for netbooks of Unbuntu, which can be found HERE.

• Haha 1

thanks for all the tips etc

its now going in to the shop for repair as there is nothing there

my dear old mate has now gone away for a break :lol:

as the old wise ones say

you learn by your mistakes

Glad to hear it's getting sorted.

I'm still not 100% convinced it was your mate who did this, largely as I find it difficult to believe that anybody would treat someone else's property with such disrespect, but maybe he wiped it by accident, or as conniff suggests was trying to cover his tracks and didn't realise the extent of what he was doing.

I'd still be interested to hear your mate's explanation for all of this!

• 1 year later...
thanks for all the tips etc

its now going in to the shop for repair as there is nothing there

my dear old mate has now gone away for a break :lol:

as the old wise ones say

you learn by your mistakes

Hi there, I havent read the whole thread here - but dont be too hard on that friend. The same thing has happened to me with no foul play on my part and when I look on-line there are a few others it has affected too. I got good customer support the first time it happened so that is def worth a try but its happened again now and I'm abroad so not so easy to sort out.

All the best,

Cat

29 March 2006 Data Protection Act Request sent for ac 1 (then she got a bit distracted but got another charge so...)

27 May Prelim letter sent for ac 1

27 May Data Protection Act Request sent for ac 2 & 3

21 June Prelim Letter sent for 2 & 3

14 July LBA sent with schedule for ac 1 & 2 & 3

7 August MCO filed – defence expected 10 September

11 September defence filed - signed Sean Copping

12 September AQ form received

18th September AQ sent back to Lambeth Court and copy sent to solicitors both recorded delivery

13th Feb 2007 Court Date Set

15th Feb Reclaimed Money is in my bank Account

Cat's opinions are those of a nurse and most definitely, definitely not those of an accountant or solicitor, although she was always quite good at sums and elocution.

• 2 weeks later...