• Tweets

• DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
    • That's a shame but not unexpected.  I'm not sure about your assumed  questions because I haven't been to court but I'm not sure about not accepting a criminal record. It could be a language thing but it isn't your choice unfortunately.  HB
    • Have you previously requested the agreement by a CCA request ?
    • Just to clarify then, should the reason I am disputing the debt be that they have not supplied all the relevant paperwork (CCA) and the debt is therefore unenforcable?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sheriff puts Bank of Scotland to proof on bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4080 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am affraid bank charges on a curent account are not unlawful. I would check out "Sequencies" posts and bloggs for advice on dealing with your charging order.

Peter

Peter sometimes I am so silly !

Charging order is re CC debt so appears my head is away with the fairies do same rules apply though

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charging order is re CC debt so appears my head is away with the fairies do same rules apply though

Hi

I believe the jury is still out regarding Credit Card charges.

To be honest i am not sure if credit card charges would be applicable to an order to set asside a CCJ at the moment, but i am sure someone on here will know.

I would start a thread over on the debt forum and post up some specifics about your case, there may be other factors that can be used to help in your situation.

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

HI

Yes as Car says, the OFT cannot look into individual cases of unfairness and by definition the unfairness of something done or not done within the life of a contract would only be relevant to that individual case.

When the issue was to decide if terms in a contract(re charges) were unfair, the results of the investigations would have had implications for all agreements.

Peter

Yes

but what about standard contracts

Yes

Hi

Sorry having a thick day, could you explain

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Yes

as have previously posted, it was held that it is beyond the (statutory) terms of reference for the oft to look into the 'unfairness' of bank charges. it would be for the individual to challenge their agreement, and thus, in the long run, for a ct to decide. each bank has its own 'standard' current account agreement relative to each particular type of account.

imo

Edited by Ford
typ

as previously posted, it was held that it is beyond the (statutory) terms of reference for the oft to look into the 'unfairness' of bank charges. it would be for the individual to challenge their agreement, and thus, in the long run, for a ct to decide. each bank has its own 'standard' current account agreement relative to each particular type of account.

imo

Hi

Yes this refers to an individual creditors T and Cs containing a term which the debtor may wish to chalenge regarding fairness. It says that it would be up to the court to decide depending on the creditors standard contract if the term was or was not a core term and thus actionable.

Peter

Edited by Dodgeball
clarity

As Peter says start a thread but ........

Hi

I believe the jury is still out regarding Credit Card charges.

To be honest i am not sure if credit card charges would be applicable to an order to set asside a CCJ at the moment, but i am sure someone on here will know.

I would start a thread over on the debt forum and post up some specifics about your case, there may be other factors that can be used to help in your situation.

Peter

...... people are still successfully claiming CC charges, including old ones and those for £12.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi

Yes this refers to an individual creditors T and Cs containing a term which the debtor may wish to chalenge regarding fairness. It says that it would be up to the court to decide depending on the creditors standard contract if the term was or was not a core term and thus actionable.

Peter

Thanks

Yes

as have previously posted, it was held that it is beyond the (statutory) terms of reference for the oft to look into the 'unfairness' of bank charges. it would be for the individual to challenge their agreement, and thus, in the long run, for a ct to decide. each bank has its own 'standard' current account agreement relative to each particular type of account.

imo

The terms can't be unfair (well, for the OFT to investigate) only their application, but it's not until you challenge them in your individual case that the Court can decide.

The question is what has happened to the class action that the government bandied around as them 'helping' the consumer? :dance:

Hi

I think it must be possible for the actual terms on an agreement to be challengebe, if not on the core term issue then on the issue of either being or not being a default charge.

Can a default charge stil be a core term? personally i think so. Isnt this the case in running credit. I think that whislt it is true that the way the charge is applied is what matters when the agreement is being assesed for fairness, the actual term itself can still be challenged as to whether it is a default charge and thus a penalty or not. This will depend on the wording of the standard contract.

Peter

Hi

Further to the last post.

What exactly is it that makes a credit card still challengeanble under the "default issue".

Is it that the account is already overdrawn so the charge cannot be regarded as an application for an overdraft, i dont think that stands up because it could be said it was an application for an extension to the facility.

Surely it is the fact that the repayment methods are stated in the contract, so failing to pay must be a breach and thus any charge for this must be a default charge.(and if disproportionate a penalty)

If this is the case then couldnt it be said that if a standard current account contract stated that a minimum monthly payment must be credited to the account or a charge would be raised must also be a breach.

Peter

The High Court declared that, in the main, bank charges are not payable upon breach of contract and as such are not capable of being penalties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11747016

Credit Card charges for late payment etc are default charges (at least in the OFT's view) and it was on that basis that the OFT told CC providers to reduce the charges to £12, which they did.

Hi

Yes and for a payment to be late , the payment schedule has to be stated in the agreement.

Peter

The High Court declared that, in the main, bank charges are not payable upon breach of contract and as such are not capable of being penalties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11747016

Credit Card charges for late payment etc are default charges (at least in the OFT's view) and it was on that basis that the OFT told CC providers to reduce the charges to £12, which they did.

I thought that they said going overdrawn was not a breach of contract, therefore, the charges could not be penalties (bank charges, not credit card charges)

Edited by rdm2006

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

HI.

The reason i bring it up is , I remember some time ago i had a business account with the Nat West.

I seem to remember that part of the agreement was that i deposited a set amount each month into the account.

In other words the account was issued on the understanding that my business generated a certain income and that income was paid into my account.

If i didnt then i had to pay a fee for my banking.

Would this be cosidered a default chage or part of the contract?

Peter

Edited by Dodgeball

That's an interesting point, maybe. There are accounts nowadays like Halifax where you have to deposit £1000 per month in order to get the £5 'reward' and although I'm not certain, I think there is a charge for not doing so (in addition to not getting the reward). But it might be that it isn't a default and the charge works the same way as bank charges do ie is triggered on an event, is provided for in the T&Cs and is in exchange for the package of banking services.

There's no charge if you don't, although, as you say you will lose the benefit of not getting the reward payment. I'd agree it's a moot point, as it's all included in the T&C's, so can't amount to a penalty for the same reasons as stated above.

oops

There's no charge if you don't, although, as you say you will lose the benefit of not getting the reward payment. I'd agree it's a moot point, as it's all included in the T&C's, so can't amount to a penalty for the same reasons as stated above.

Hi

I think it is more a matter of the way it is presented in the T and Cs. If they said "if you do not do this or your ballance does that then we can charge you £X" then that would not be a default charge and there would be no protection under common law. If it said " if you defafult your repayments " then you would.

I think this is the crux of the argument that the bank used to avoid the penalty issue.

Peter

They did - that's what I said.

compared to

going overdrawn was not a breach of contract, therefore, the charges could not be penalties

Perhaps I read it wrongly

;)

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

Car, can you please comment then, on why Loan and Credit card companies can't use the same argument (not that I want them to, just want to pick your brains if that's ok :-)) for their own default fees? It appears they still currently issue refunds to claimants whilst banks don't. Thanks

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

rdm. as you, and others, have alluded to, the focus should be on the 'fairness' of the o/d 'charges' (or whatever they want to call them). and not on whether the agreement says if you do/don't do this and that.... ie, are the actual o/d 'charges' fair/proportionate?

ps, as bustthematrix has also just alluded to?

imo

Edited by Ford
ps

Car, can you please comment then, on why Loan and Credit card companies can't use the same argument (not that I want them to, just want to pick your brains if that's ok :-)) for their own default fees? It appears they still currently issue refunds to claimants whilst banks don't. Thanks

Hi

Must be psychic just started a thread on that very subject here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?300503-Credit-Card-charges-vs-Bank-Charges&p=3354141#post3354141

I am sure Car will comment

Peter

Edited by Dodgeball
spell

There never has been a cross read from the Bank Charges judgment to these types of charges, though - this is why CAG and others still encourage these other (non-Bank) charges to be recovered like this.

The issue that most of these contracts have is that the charges are referred to as a 'default' situation, which is what Peter's point is above. It's not whether they are penalties or not, as any charge that isn't specifically allowed for in the contract would most likely be seen as a penalty. The problem these contracts have is that they can't refer to default fees, or even service fees for defaulting, as they are subject to the test of fairness in UTCCR even if they aren't deemed as penalties. This is why the Supreme Court's ruling on Bank Charges blew the whole thing open and scared folk off, IMHO. There's nothing to stop you using UTCCR to reclaim Bank Charges, but heed the SC's advice if you're doing so, as the Judgment severely limits the scope on which you can claim and therefore limits your chances of success somewhat as a result, also.

The swines! :lol:

Hi

Must be psychic just started a thread on that very subject here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?300503-Credit-Card-charges-vs-Bank-Charges&p=3354141#post3354141

I am sure Car will comment

Peter

And I did :whoo:

:madgrin:

rdm. as you, and others, have alluded to, the focus should be on the 'fairness' of the o/d 'charges' (or whatever they want to call them). and not on whether the agreement says if you do/don't do this and that. ie, are the actual o/d 'charges' fair/proportionate?

ps, as bustthematrix has also just alluded to?

imo

This was what OFT should have done and was invited to do so by the SC but they chose not to claiming that it was too narrow of a point ???

;)