• Tweets

• Hi Dave, Yep .... Will have to do AOS tomorrow .... Are you referring to CPR 31.14 Request?
    • I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sheriff puts Bank of Scotland to proof on bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4080 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

see for eg the 'Examples' under the cca itself.

also, see the 'new' rules under the consumer credit regulation(s) (SI) 2010.

imo

see post 1108 (below)

Sorryn that was a joke hence the :whoo:

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

crossed wires maybe! am suggesting that a current account o/d is subject to the cca! to a certain extent!

Edited by Ford
typ

crossed wires maybe! am suggesting that a current account is subject to the cca! to a certain extent!

The banks did try to say they were not and therefore not covered by the CCA but there is a case on here (debt collection industry I think) where a Judge ruled that they are when o/d

;)

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

The banks did try to say they were not and therefore not covered by the CCA but there is a case on here (debt collection industry I think) where a Judge ruled that they are when o/d

as posted, the cca itself provides examples of an o/d being subject to the cca. the 'new' rules go further and suggest that an 'agreement' may be required in any event, though is not retrospective.

imo

Total charge for credit

4.—(1) The total charge for credit which may be provided under an actual or prospective

consumer credit agreement shall be the total cost of credit to the debtor determined in accordance

with the requirements in paragraphs (2) to (5) below.

(2) Subject to paragraph (3), the following costs shall be included in the total cost of credit to

the debtor—

(a) the costs of maintaining an account recording both payment transactions and drawdowns;

(b) the costs of using a means of payment for both payment transactions and drawdowns;

© other costs relating to payment transactions.

(3) The costs at paragraph (2) shall not be included in the total cost of credit to the debtor where—

(a) the opening of the account is optional and the costs of the account have been clearly and

separately shown in the consumer credit agreement or in any other agreement made with

the debtor; having an overdraft facility has not been optional until recently

(b) in the case of an overdraft facility the costs do not relate to that facility.

(4) Costs in respect of an ancillary service shall be included in the total cost of credit to the debtor

if the conclusion of a service contract is compulsory in order to obtain the credit or to obtain it on the terms and conditions marketed.

Gobbledygook at its best

Edited by rdm2006

;)

RDM

Thanks for that "clarification" :???::???::???:. I see paragraph 2 is subject to paragraph 3 which clarifies paragraph 2 which is subject to paragraph 3 which clarifies paragraph 2...and so on..... I DO see that. What I DON'T see is what the heck it all MEANS! :!:

How ELSE does a Current Account provide CREDIT other than via an OVERDRAFT? Personal and Term Loans tend to be totally seperate accounts. How on earth does that lot comply with the previous Unfair Contract Terms Act or the newer CPUTR 2008?

However I must take issue with your final comment....

This is surely gobbledegook at its WORST???? :-x - Written to confuse, convolute, connive and conspire to deprive us of our hard earned cash - in fact most words beginning with CON!

BD

PS - Surprised today is not a Bank Holiday given it's their Patron Saint Houdini's 137th birthday.

Edited by Bigdebtor

CCA applies...when they want it to, and it doesn't when they don't. As I said, if the PTBs were thinking and talking straight, the banksters would have got their backsides whooped...:shock:

Justice requires truth and where's there's little or no truth, there can't be justice!

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

Can you find that case Rdm...it could explain alot!

rgds

m2ae

Edited by means2anend
spelling-expalin to explain

HI

It’s a bit off topic but.

Overdrafts have always been subject to the Consumer Credit Act as they are running account credit.

They do not have to have a separate agreement however as they are exempted from compliance with part V of the act.

To qualify for this exemption the bank has to give written notice of the interest and terms that will be applied to the overdraft.(section 74)

The European Directive which was implemented in the most part on February the first this year introduced extra requirements regarding notification of interest rates etc to be included in the original agreement, regarding overdraft facilitates

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

HI

It’s a bit off topic but.

Overdrafts have always been subject to the Consumer Credit Act as they are running account credit.

They do not have to have a separate agreement however as they are exempted from compliance with part V of the act.

To qualify for this exemption the bank has to give written notice of the interest and terms that will be applied to the overdraft.(section 74)

The European Directive which was implemented in the most part on February the first this year introduced extra requirements regarding notification of interest rates etc to be included in the original agreement, regarding overdraft facilitates

Peter

Hi Peter...yes I would for the most part agree with you ..and have observed that...most companies reply with this statement;

there is no need for us to provide a copy of your credit agreement under the CCA for Current Accounts and Overdraft Facilities, as Part V of the CCA does not apply to these types of accounts’ The exclusion of Current Accounts falling into Part V of the CCA set out in section 74(1) (b)’

I for my part have observed that...

Section77/78 is not a matter from which credit agreements are excluded from as this provision falls within Part V1 of CCA 1974.Furthermore this fact is further reinforced within the provisions ITSELF.See SS3 (1)) a) (b) and (5) below.May I also draw your attention to

Section: 9 Meaning of Credit and Section: 16 Exempt Agreements. Furthermore, the Consumer Credit (EU Directive) Regulations 2010/1010 implementing 2008/48/EC and Consumer Credit (Amendment) Regulations 2010/1969 implementing and subsequently amending SI 2010/1010 recognise that such agreements are regulated credit agreements.

S: 77/78 Duty to give information to debtor under fixed-sum/running account credit agreement.

(3)Subsection (1) does not apply to

a) an agreement under which no sum is, or will or may become, payable by the debtor, or

b) a request made less than one month after a previous request under that subsection relating to the same agreement was complied with.

(5)This section does not apply to a non-commercial agreement.

rgds

m2ae

Edited by means2anend
Edited text to smaller font...text was too large giving impression I was 'shouting'

Hi Peter...yes I would for the most part agree with you ..and have observed that...most companies reply with this statement;

there is no need for us to provide a copy of your credit agreement under the CCA for Current Accounts and Overdraft Facilities, as Part V of the CCA does not apply to these types of accounts’ The exclusion of Current Accounts falling into Part V of the CCA set out in section 74(1) (b)’

I for my part have observed that...

Section77/78 is not a matter from which credit agreements are excluded from as this provision falls within Part V1 of CCA 1974.Furthermore this fact is further reinforced within the provisions ITSELF.See SS3 (1)) a) (b) and (5) below.May I also draw your attention to

Section: 9 Meaning of Credit and Section: 16 Exempt Agreements. Furthermore, the Consumer Credit (EU Directive) Regulations 2010/1010 implementing 2008/48/EC and Consumer Credit (Amendment) Regulations 2010/1969 implementing and subsequently amending SI 2010/1010 recognise that such agreements are regulated credit agreements.

S: 77/78 Duty to give information to debtor under fixed-sum/running account credit agreement.

(3)Subsection (1) does not apply to

a) an agreement under which no sum is, or will or may become, payable by the debtor, or

b) a request made less than one month after a previous request under that subsection relating to the same agreement was complied with.

(5)This section does not apply to a non-commercial agreement.

rgds

m2ae

Hi

With respect this was not an opinion it is the regulation.

The reply you quoted illustrates this in that they of course cannot send a copy of an agrteement that does not exist.

Section 77-79 requests cannot be honoured on an overdraft because there is no agreement to copy.

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

'Section 77-79 requests cannot be honoured on an overdraft because there is no agreement to copy.'

pls expalin

rgds

m2ae

HI

I first researched this in 06 this was a leltter i recieved from the OFT it explains the situation better than me .

Dear Mr Bardsley

CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974 (the Act)

Thank you for your emails of 15 March 2007, concerning overdrafts, and of 22 March 2007, concerning credit card agreements, which have been passed to me to reply. I apologise for the delay in replying.

I should note that unfortunately the Office of Fair Trading (the OFT) cannot comment on or intervene in individual matters. This is because such actions fall beyond the remit of the OFT and because the OFT cannot be aware of all of the relevant information in each instance. Similarly, the OFT cannot comment or express a view on particular practices, save where the OFT has considered a practice in the round and its view is in the public domain. The following points are therefore general in nature.

Overdrafts are normally not subject to those elements of the Act governing form and content of an agreement. This is because the OFT has issued a Determination under Section 74(3) of the Act excluding overdraftlink3.gif agreements from the need to comply. As a result of this there is usually no written agreement that a consumer can request under Section 78 of the Act. However, I should note that any Bank wishing to avail itself of the benefit of the Determination must notify the OFT of its intention to do so and is required to provide information to the prospective debtor. Specifically, the creditor must provide, in writing, at the time the agreement is concluded or before details of the credit limit if any, the annual rate of interest and any charges available, and the process for terminating the agreement. Typically banks make such information readily available via a variety of media on an ongoing basis.

Peter

If I remember correctly it says that they are exempt from providing an agreement but they are still a credit agreement in all other respects but i will try to find it

;)

Can you find that case Rdm...it could explain alot!

rgds

m2ae

it is either in here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?171037-Multiple-agreements-falling-within-section-18-CCA-1974

or here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?105315-Is-My-Agreement-Enforceable-Useful

Both are very long threads so i will let you make it a bit of light reading before you go to bed lol :lol:

;)

Yes I think thats it involving coutts.

Its me age lol, I remember seeing something but never where I saw it :lol:

;)

If I remember correctly it says that they are exempt from providing an agreement but they are still a credit agreement in all other respects but i will try to find it

It says that overdrafts are exempt from Part V of the act . Part V of the act is the section that states the requiriments for form and content of the agreement. If the overdraft is exempt from these requirements it means that they do not have to produce a document,if a document does not have to be produced then it is difficult to produce a copy.

Yes all other of the sections of the act apply/

Petr

It does make sense that there's no need for a standalone agreement for an overdraft for the purposes of the CCA, as the terms would already be in the current account contract. But of course only the overdraft terms of the contract apply to CCA.

I was just reading a recent Santader skeleton argument for a bank charge case which includes a defence to a challenge under the CCA which I'll try and post it up later.

Hi

Yes although of course the interest and also the repayment details (prescribed terms).etc would not be in the Bank contract, or at least not before the changes that have just been made due to the EU.

If it were not for the declaraition it would have embody all these terms on a sepperate agreement or fall foul of the provisions of section18( multiple agreements).

Some of us did try to gain advantage by requesting a copy of the letter stating the tems of the overdraft mentioned in the declaration. Unfortunatlely this failed because as you see from the OFT letter earlier in this thread, they decided that it was enough that the bank produced it on easily accessable media, (web page). I still do not agree that this was in the spirit of the declaration but there you go.

Peter

YES makes perfect sense...A copy MUST still be sent UNLESS the DETERMINATION has been complied with..The form and substance that would have been required in PART V has now been required in the form as stated in the DETERMINATION.

I say that a copy must still be sent unless...because s77/78 are matters 'FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY'..... NOT FORM AND CONTENT that do not fall witihn PART V but DO FALL WITHIN PART VI..and so still apply

However UNLESS contemporary records are not kept it is hard to see how DETERMINATION can be retrospectively satisfied.

m2ae

here's a couple of brief examples/quotes of what has been said re the 'new' rules (not retrospective) and o/d's.

'Unsecured overdrafts. Non-business unsecured overdrafts will be subject to the requirements for both pre-contractual and contractual information although an overdraft can be arranged urgently without prior written information. Where a current account allows the account holder to overdraw without a pre-arranged overdraft, information about the charges must be included in the agreement. (Regulation 19 of the Directive).' mablaw.com

'Overdrafts now require the same pre-contract and agreement information as other agreements. Although as not all of the Articles are to apply it is to be ‘light touch’......'Since agreements will now have to be drawn up for overdrafts should you receive a request for a copy agreement for an overdraft executed after 12 May 2010 you will need to provide it.' csa-uk.com

YES makes perfect sense...A copy MUST still be sent UNLESS the DETERMINATION has been complied with..The form and substance that would have been required in PART V has now been required in the form as stated in the DETERMINATION.

I say that a copy must still be sent unless...because s77/78 are matters 'FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY'..... NOT FORM AND CONTENT that do not fall witihn PART V but DO FALL WITHIN PART VI..and so still apply

However UNLESS contemporary records are not kept it is hard to see how DETERMINATION can be retrospectively satisfied.

m2ae

Not sure how you would send a copy if the original has not been made.

Not sure why a bank would make an agreement if there was no requirement to do so.

77-79 are requessts for copy of the executed agreement, there is no executed agreement for information purposes or any other purposes.

We did this to death many years ago

Peter