• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sheriff puts Bank of Scotland to proof on bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is I fear the case that the SC declined to rule other parts of the regs out, rather than ruling them in. Appellate courts never like to rule things out.

Sorry did I miss something ?

Johnny Mitch did not claim that they had been ruled in - did he ???. If he did and it has been deleted - I apologise

The courts usually only cover what is put before them so why would they rule the rest in or out ??

This judge, however, went out of his way to state that his ruling did not mean that they could not be challenged for other reasons......

That is the way I understand it - unless of course I am wrong lol

No offence meant - just want to be clear

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

IMHO the court erred in that they did not consider the Francovitch Principal. They should have ruled on ALL aspects of the matter including fairness & not just the narrow arguments used. In other words they should have scrutinized the WHOLE of the contract to see if it complied FULLY with the law

Not only that cited by JonChris re Francovitch Principal, but the SC(Supreme Court) very much introduced an "in" argument by stating that "charges are core business of the Banks". In all the 56 years that I have held bank accounts that principal was never introduced to myself. So when did these punitive charges become core business?

Carningli

Not only that cited by JonChris re Francovitch Principal, but the SC(Supreme Court) very much introduced an "in" argument by stating that "charges are core business of the Banks". In all the 56 years that I have held bank accounts that principal was never introduced to myself. So when did these punitive charges become core business?

Carningli

Whenever it suits the banks - of course :roll:

;)

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

It still remains the fact that you need to get over Regulation 6(2) of the UTCCR which says that the assessment of fairness shall not relate to the subject matter of the contract or the price payable.

If (forgetting about bank charges if you can) you look at the UTCCR and ask: “What is their main thrust” I think the answer you will come up with is that they are to protect consumers against “the small print” and not to regulate prices. The SC got back to basics. It said that the idea that you could shunt bank charges into some “ancillary” slot to avoid Regulation 6(2) was overelaborate and misconceived having regard to the mischief that the UTCCR were intended to address. The SC found that bank charges were consideration for banking services and the fact that you only paid them if you went into the red and that most bank customers did not pay them was irrelevant. Having regard to what the UTCCR plainly say I think that was the correct conclusion and did not need to be referred to the ECJ.

Good morning all,

At last someone has turned on the light in the darkness.

Many thanks Mike

Best wishes to all

Dougal

Edited by Dougal16T
Poor spelling....again....!!

Update: 2013 Following our recent (9/7/13) hearing about Bank Charges at the Court of Appeal, and refusal to grant permission to Appeal; an Application has just (23/10/2013) been made for a fresh hearing and the Court Location is yet to be confirmed!

Not to be picky JM but the same section of the regs can still be used but the REASON/ARGUMENT can not be based on level/price.

sorry just to be clear ......

Hi rdm , Thanks for that , it's what I meant ,but it didn't come across like that (re-reading it ! )

as for your other comment , - no you didn't miss anything , that's exactly as I posted it .... nothing added , nothing deleted ... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

It still remains the fact that you need to get over Regulation 6(2) of the UTCCR which says that the assessment of fairness shall not relate to the subject matter of the contract or the price payable.

Not quite

The fact is we need to get over regulation 6(2)(b) not the whole of 6(2) see below taken from http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/docs/uksc_2009_0070_ps.pdf

The Court of Appeal was wrong to find that Regulation 6 (2) (b) did not apply to charges that

were ‘ancillary’ to the core contract between the bank and customer (Paras 38-41, 47, 78, 112).

Lord Walker commented that Regulation 6 (2) (b) contained no indication that only the

‘essential’ price or remuneration was relevant. In fact, any monetary price or remuneration

payable under the contract would naturally fall within the language of Regulation 6 (2) (b)

The charges are referred to as "ancillary" and not as "core" as banks would have us believe. The court is saying that there is nothing in 6(2)(b) which prevents it from being applied to ANY price or remuneration be they a main or ancillary part of the contract.......... Therefore, 6(2)(a) does not make them exempt as the main subject matter, because they are not.

Edited by rdm2006

;)

The charges are referred to as "ancillary" and not as "core" as banks would have us believe. The court is saying that there is nothing in 6(2)(b) which prevents it from being applied to ANY price or remuneration be they a main or ancillary part of the contract.......... Therefore, 6(2)(a) does not make them exempt as the main subject matter, because they are not.

I think you are going to have to run that past me again as it seems that the quotation supports what I say. I refer you to paragraphs 38 et seq of the SC judgement. The court stressed that in a contract for goods or services no enquiry could be made to establish whether some goods or services were more essential than others. There is nothing about contracts for banking services that sets them apart from other contracts in this respect.

What is unusual about banking services is some customers incur charges and some do not. The correct analysis of a contract for a free-if-in-credit current account is this:

1. The bank imposes charges for providing services.

2. If the account is kept in credit charges for specified range of services are waived.

Viewed this way it can be seen that free banking is a concession and, more importantly, that charges are not payable in case of default.*

The fact that contracts for banking services operate in ways different from most other types of contract (and in particular that they produce the result that over all the cost of providing services is met by a minority of customers) does not alter the fact that in essence they are not significantly different from any other contract for services. There is therefore no argument for challenging charges on the grounds that they relate to ancillary services or are in the nature of penalties.

*Of course this is not how people view the position because if you go into the red you incur charges - in every day terms you are "penalised". The disappointment felt after the SC decision can in large measure be attributed to the fact that people's expectations were based on the assumption that every day terms and legal terms matched. People said that bank charges were" penal" (meaning "excessive") and concluded that they were contractual penalties. People said that bank charges were "unfair" and therefore the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations somehow confirmed the fact. Attempts to discuss the matter rationally were on the whole met by arguments such as "It stands to reason", "How come no one else thinks that way?" and "Who are you?"

Aequitas

That's a very clear explanation of something I just could not get to grips with. I just always went on the "stands to reason" route and was gobsmacked last November. However I think I'm beginning to understand the position of the Banks in this (OH DEAR!!!). I do stress that's "understand" - not "sympathise" or "agree with".

However what about the early letters from Bank of Scotland etc. which I still have? They said "you will understand this does cause the Bank additional work" and "to cover our costs we are...." .

Is it something like that (justifying their costs as actually being £39 to write a letter) that is the nub of the Sharp v BOS case here - or has it now moved on to other grounds?

BD

I think you are going to have to run that past me again as it seems that the quotation supports what I say. I refer you to paragraphs 38 et seq of the SC judgement. The court stressed that in a contract for goods or services no enquiry could be made to establish whether some goods or services were more essential than others. There is nothing about contracts for banking services that sets them apart from other contracts in this respect.

Your original statement was

This would mean that we have to overcome 6 (2) (a) and 6 (2) (b)

6. (2) In so far as it is in plain intelligible language, the assessment of fairness of a term shall not relate-

(a) to the definition of the main subject matter of the contract, or

(b) to the adequacy of the price or remuneration, as against the goods or services supplied in exchange.

The SC did not proclaim that the charges were main subject matter ("Core") therefore they are NOT exempt by (a) and (b) they are only exempt by (b) and they can, therefore, be tested for fairness for any other reason than price/remuneration.

So for example they could be challenged for fairness as there is no provision for the consumer to charge the banks when they have failed to credit monies to the account (UTCCR Schedule 2 (1) (d))

(d) permitting the seller or supplier to retain sums paid by the consumer where the latter decides not to conclude or perform the contract, without providing for the consumer to receive compensation of an equivalent amount from the seller or supplier where the latter is the party cancelling the contract;

i.e. I pay in £100 to my account to cover a D/D. This is then credited to a wrong account, the D/D is refused and a £38.00 charge is raised.

when all is sorted out - all i get is the removal of the charge and if i am very lucky an apology and perhaps £5 to shut me up

Therefore, I am at the mercy of the banks to decide if I get anything at all

A fair system would mean that I automatically get a refund of £38.00 to correct their charge plus a Further £38.00 as it was they, not I, who failed to credit the account to cover the D/D

Edited by rdm2006

;)

http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/docs/...09_0070_ps.pdf

''Regulation 6(2)(b) states that the assessment of the fairness of a term in a contract “shall not relate . . .to the adequacy of the price or remuneration, as against the goods or services supplied in exchange”.''

''In other words, the “value for money” equation is excluded. The Court of Appeal held that this exclusion applied only to the “core terms” of the contract and not

to ancillary terms such as the charges for unauthorised overdrafts. The Supreme Court unanimously held that the charges for unauthorised overdrafts fell within this exclusion. They were part of the price paid by the customer for the banking services provided.''

RDM

I like (and agree with) your logic. I just wish we could get a court to do so!

What you say is also only fair - but logic and fairness don't seem to cut any ice with the establishment.

I do hope Glasgow Sheriff Court can show I'm being unfair to them by assuming they'll probably end up supporting the unfairness shown to us.

I also wish they would get on with it! It seems to be taking for every what with the Banks' delaying tactics.

Can anyone throw any light on how much longer we'll have to wait before we even get to the next step?

BD

The point I am making is that we do not have to overcome section 6 (2) as said by Aequitas. This implies that it is one item, it is not, it is split into two parts - (a) and (b) {(a) being subject matter and (b) being price/remuneration}.

The judge ruled that they were exempt due only to (b) not (a) and (b)

Edited by rdm2006

;)

I think Aequitas is right. The Supreme Court found that both (a) and (b) apply. In particular exemption (a) applied by virtue of the cross subsidy argument which the court found as ''core'' to the bargain.

''Even if the Court of Appeal’s interpretation had been correct, I do not see how it could have come to the conclusion that charges amounting to over 30 per cent of the revenue stream were (para 111) “not part of the core or essential bargain.”

(SC judgment page 22) http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/decid...0_Judgment.pdf

That link appears to lead to the judgement of allowing the appeal to proceed and not to the judgement of that appeal.

Does anyone have a link to (or a copy of) the judgement

Edited by rdm2006

;)

Thanks enaid, I have already tried that but for some reason it only gives the link you have already given.............strange

You can tell its not the one as lady hale compared the charges to a loaf of bread - that is not in the link you have given.

Which is why i think it is judgement for the appeal to proceed and not the judgement of the appeal itself..................

Rebel11 does the site still have a copy somewhere ??

Edited by rdm2006

;)

Hi RDM2006

Must be somewhere on the site, I'll have a look and see what I can find.

Probably in enaid's link

Thanks enaid, I have already tried that but for some reason it only gives the link you have already given.............strange

You can tell its not the one as lady hale compared the charges to a loaf of bread - that is not in the link you have given.

Which is why i think it is judgement for the appeal to proceed and not the judgement of the appeal itself..................

Rebel11 does the site still have a copy somewhere ??

Lady Hale summed the whole problem up with these words:

Should financial services be treated differently from other goods and services? Or is the real problem that we do not have a real choice because the suppliers all offer much the same product and do not compete on some of their terms? This is the situation here. But it is not clear to me whether the proper solution is to find some way of forcing the suppliers to compete with one another in the terms they offer or whether the solution is to condemn one particular model of charging for those services. Fortunately, however, that is for Parliament and not for this Court.

In other words: "Don't look to the law as it is to challenge bank charges."