style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, I think this is simple, but I may be totally wrong.

I have been told my motherboard is knackered. (Cost to replace and fit £169.99)

New Board anything from £85 to £129

My plan is buy a new motherboard, take out the old one, replace with new one, add the bits that I take off old one, reconnect everything.

Is that all that is needed to be done.

If you can source the same model, or make sure it has the same type of graphics card slot (providing old one had a separate graphics card, if not you need to make sure new one has onboard graphics), same type of memory, same type of processor, supports same types of hard drives, and providing all the old stuff works and the faulty motherboard hasn't blown them, then Yes

BUT for you to be forking out, I assume the old one was over a year old... Maybe it would be cost effective for you to pick up better memory and better processor, and better graphics and better processor rather than repairing the old system? The upgrade would probably cost about the same, especially if you managed to sell some of your old stuff!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks for reply,

I have a dell 9300 inspiron, I can get the motherboard from ebay, this is the same make as mine.

Also the number for the motherboard tally's up.

BUT for you to be forking out, I assume the old one was over a year old... Maybe it would be cost effective for you to pick up better memory and better processor, and better graphics and better processor rather than repairing the old system? The upgrade would probably cost about the same, especially if you managed to sell some of your old stuff!

Yes over a year old.

I would still need a motherboard though.

I will be checking the ram and HD ~ Wireless card etc, as I have an identical model

Ahh... thats a laptop... I was thinking desktop :p Sorry for any confusion.

Laptops can be a pain to work on! If you are happy to go with this, and you trust all the other components are working, then your 1st post is correct :)

• Haha 1

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 2 months later...

Just thought i would update you all.

I purchased a motherboard, took laptop apart, replaced with my removable parts from old board

All works great :D

Nice 1.

Would be too scared to attemp it myself. These guys will tell you, I mess up enough laptops as it is without opening them:p.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Excelent!

to

C.A.G. Toolbar