Meteor / Orpington / I'm actually in the wrong - what to do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They can't decide if they are pursuing a Penalty Charge Notice or Parking Charge Notice. Sounds like they are getting confused with their own in-house unenforceable invoices. It's all well and good photocopying byelaws, but at no point have you, or the owner, been given a notice to pay a penalty as specified in the byelaws. All you've had is confusing and conflicting paperwork with a mish-mash of terms.

Personally, I would ignore.

I can't take any responsibility if this does end up in mag's court though. I would be astounded if it did though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got a 'final notice' / threat of prosecution and possible £1000 fine / fees on top of the £165 they're asking for. Semi concerned because £1k is a LOT of cash and I don't earn that kind of money.

What do you all think?

Here's the latest letter which gives me 14 days to pay:

2dioktk.jpg

So, what do you folks recommend? I'm so crazily broke. I can't afford £1k in fees / fines. Should I just bottle out for the sake of being sensible and pay the £165 or what?

I still find it strange that they insist on referring to "Railways Byelaw 14", yet also still call it a "parking charge" rather than a "penalty". They do also refer to the fact it would proceed to a mags court, (as it would for a byelaws penalty), so very ambiguous.

If this is a standard PPC parking charge invoice, then they are being very VERY naughty with all the suggestions on their paperwork.

Wait for further input from one of our more learned CAGs in the byelaws field.

the can't increase the statutory amount - IF there is a statutory amount involved. original 'PCN' (laugh) clearly claims contract - mow they are threatening statutory liability instead of contract. They are very different things. This 'confusion' lines their pockets when people fold under the threats. Looks like fraud to me.

Might be worth writing back saying that the Transport Act 2000 they have enclosed states a penalty would be payable, but that you have only received demands for a 'parking charge' for a sum which has no relation to the original alleged statutory charge.

I'd be amazed if this went to mag's court, but if you carry on with the game they'll either

a) give up and then you can submit all the paperwork to Trading Standards

b) take you mag's court where you would have a defence.

As I said, I'd be amazed if it was the latter.

Their initial 'Notice' claims contract. Their own paperwork shows they are trying to make personal gain under 'statutory provision' - and that they planned this from the outset. This one would be fun if it got to court. Are they stupid enough to try it ?

Concur. This is just sleight-of-hand by this Debt Collector. Only the OP can bring this to a head by waiting for a legitimate demand, and raise this points as a valid concern if it is a genuine Byelaw 14 pursuit. There are enough scams around as to make this cautious approach seem reasonable, even to the judge.

Just a personal view, but.....this has been going on since February - a "real" case would have been in Court by now, I would have thought.

Now, I can only think of one reason why they keep dragging it out - not a leg to stand on!

Just a personal view

Sam

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

• 2 months later...

Is there any update regarding the outcome of this? My partner has the same final demand, although not the luxury of the 6 months gap.

I am inclined to think this is a [problem], but not entirely convinced!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just found this forum and must say what an excellent thread this is. I have one of these notices and on January 4th received what I consider a scaremongering document with final notice to pay £165 or face court blah blah. It was always my intention to ignore this fine and I will continue to do so, these fools try to confuse us with letter mentioning laws and court...I'll take my chances and we'll see what comes of it!

• 5 months later...