Re-structuring of company or a stitch up ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The company that I work for have approx 120 employees and have 5 teams, each with their own manager.

Four of these teams have identical responsibilities, the fifth team bears very little resemblance to others and the work we do (public sector) . This 5th team is being cut including the 12 members of staff and their manager.

We have been told that as the company is being re-structured then the 5 managers , only one of which is at risk, will have to re-apply for their jobs, so 5 people applying for 4 jobs.

As manager no 5 who is at risk has close connections with our chief executive and the 2 senior managers it is expected that he will be put in place at the expense of one of the others.

He has no experience of the work done and frankly it would appear that the company are simply trying to save this one person.Our manager said that he has been told that the company have taken legal advice, but can anyone tell me if this is legal or simply a stitch up ? THanks

I'm no expert in employment issues, but have noticed in my workplace (public sector) that companies can get away with all manner of things under the banner of "re-structuring". My own place of work is currently going through a similar procedure and 4 managers will need to re-apply for their jobs in the near future.... but there are only 3 posts.

With re-structuring, an employer can argue that an existing role needs to be developed into something else; requiring different skills, experience and job title. People are then asked to re-apply for their own jobs.... but they're now called something else and have a slightly different job description.... in order to comply with "re-structuring" :rolleyes:

I work in a school and am currently witnessing the LSA (Learning Suppost Asst.) role being "developed" into a WA (Welfare Asst.) role, which I'm assuming will also include an obligation to accompany SEN children to the toilet.... a requirement of WA's in special schools, but not part of the LSA contract as it stands. The motive behind this is because the school wants to reduce the hours of those on a permanent contract.... and this would seem to be a handy way of getting staff to do more in their existing job, for less hours and pay. Clever. ;)

Whether they get away with it remains to be seen... but it's an employers' market, so they probably will.

I've been part of "re-structuring" (Local Authority) and know all about the shennigans that goes on. You always know who'll get the jobs. Restructuring means a way of reducing staffing levels and increasing workloads. My last restructuring was four years ago, and a group from my work area put in a grievance. Despite proving that lies had been told, the grievance wasn't upheld. I managed to get another job, which I love, fortunately.

Two weeks ago I found out that the department I worked in was basically being re-structured, back to how it was four years ago...........

..........and yes it probably is a stitch up, because they seem to do whatever they want.