• Tweets

• a 'witness' to it not arriving till the 15th is sadly immaterial too. regardless to the above anyway, the PCN remains valid. 
    • Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

WELCOME FINANCE

DeeJayCarl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well guys, its UPDATE time!! I have received a re-adjusted loan agreement form by registered post (10/3/2010) from their Insurance Cancellation Team (another new one!!) + after winding up the Debt Collections team enough on the phone managed to finally get them to send me a 'Default Notice' (arrived 11/3/2010) which I have to pay in 14 days!! (not a chance!!) but thank you for finally listening after 2 years!!!

Just to show the extreme stupidity of Welcome Finance to anyone else who reads this they said to telephone the undersigned immediately......yes you've guessed it no telephone number OR undersigned + they may apply for an attachment of earnings from my employer (I'm self-employed!!) + I also got the standard DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER leaflet. They also mention I'm in breach of my agreement because i wouldn't pay the PPI & Lifecare, that is amazing because The FOS have already ruled in my favour July 09 agreeing that Welcome illegally put both those insurances on my account so in reality Welcome have breached the credit agreement!!

I am going to ask Martin Lewis's Team, Media, Press and anyone else in the UK that has had problems with Welcome Finance if they would like to join me on my Court day when it finally happens as I intend to fight them all the way!! ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exelent Bebo that answwrs that question, I understood it to be just a letter. It is a default notice and within they have to lay out what action would be taken if not paid in 14 days. . .this action is to apply for attatchment of earnings which they will have to do through court, it is not somthing they can do themselves as only the court can sanction.

Correct ozzywizard and we all know they dont want to go to court or they will have a black mark registered against their business!!!

They did say however while on the phone while I was pushing them to get this paperwork that they would pass this on to a Debt Collection agency which signifies that they are going to sell the debt on if I don't conform to the 14 day payment period so they dont have to bother!! It's starting to get interesting......

So where do we stand with the DN's? mine is well past 14 days now

As always please check and double check what myself and other Caggers inform.

If you like my Post please dont be shy give my Scales a little tickle :-)

I got the same default notice about the same time. I have given up dealing with welcome a long time a go because they could never tell me why my settlement figure was always higher than my balance! Bunch of idiots at best.

I phoned the cccs I think that was given on the accompanying letter. When I explained the settlement figure they suggested it might be easier just to get the default and deal with whoever takes on the debt.

Welcome will not see another Christmas and indeed may not make it past this summer. Everyone is just waiting on the end game ending.

Bebebebo: With regards to the DNs it would appear that if it is well past the 14 days for you then they will probably go to the next stage which will be to get a decent sized list of other people who refuse to be intimidated by them and then Pass it on/Sell it on to a Debt Collection Agency.

All you do if that happens is when they (the Debt Collectors) contact you, tell them that you have a pending court date request with Welcome and that it is not their concern or business and they should pass it back to them as Welcome are not facing their Legal obligations!

UPDATE: Welcome would not acknowledge that they have received the letter requesting a Senior Executive to meet me last week with a view of sorting the problem once and for all (the third over 9 months) very strange that all other post arrives to them no problem.

To remedy the latest batch of useless paperwork Welcome have sent, I have sent 5 independant letters, one to every dept that has been dealing with the alleged default over the last year so that there can be no telling me that they haven't received it!! The contents of the letter are in summary saying to them that I will no longer be intimidated by them and I want a Small Claims Court date asap and any further contact from them other than to give me the court date will be considered harrassment!!!....watch this space ;)

In the meantime I am re-writing to the Financial Ombudsman to inform them that Welcome have not carried out their Legal Obligation in a satisfactory or reasonable amount of time, I was awarded compensation July 09 and to date nothing!!!! Does anybody know whether the black mark stays on your credit file if or when Welcome go into receivership or can the Credit agencies, Ombudsman remove the black mark or does it come off automatically??? This seems a grey area!!

• 2 weeks later...

I for one have absolutely no sympathy at all for anyone who works for Welcome and loses their job because you can't possibly be that nieve that the Company you work for is practising honest business with this many complaints and offices shutting all over the place!! No smoke without fire!

What goes around comes around!!

Incidentally I have paid my loan and Interest over 2 years ago but have refused to pay the front loaded PPI and Random Lifecare 24 that they put on AFTER I left the office. The Ombudsman awarded the case in my favour and I have been waiting indefinitely since July 09 for the promised £200 compensation!

To Show Welcome Finances stupidity they recently sent me a Default Notice letter from their Legal Dept telling me not to ignore it and call the number or write immediately to the sender on the letter to sort the issue out....well you've probably guessed....NO signature, no name, no originator office in fact no way of knowing where or who it came from... thats professionalism for you!

Welcome Update: Well this is quite interesting... I have had a letter from Lewis Debt Recovery a few moments ago TELLING me to pay £2966.77 for the PPI, Life Insurance + Interest by no later than the 2nd April or ELSE. Its the 3rd today so I don't see how I can do that even if I wanted to (which I don't!!)

I told you they would pass it onto Debt Recovery because they don't want to go to court themselves. This way they don't get the hassle and the debt recovery people have to do the Court action instead and put the pressure on.

I am just about to call Lewis Debt Recovery and tell them to pass the debt back to Welcome as in my case it is illegal, they are chasing money which has been proved by Government Officials I don't owe. Two can play the Legal game....bring it on.....!!!!!!!!!!!

Carl, for your information, if you want to get to the top of The Lewis Group, the Managing Director is a guy called David Berry, also someone quite high up is Roger Eagles, boh at the Cleckheaton address probably on their letter.

The Lewis Group are part of Cattles (Same as Welcome) so its the same bunch of muppets who are "dealing" with your account.

i wish u all the luck with this, they need shutting down sooner rather than later

We ALL Know that!!! It`s convincing the People who matter that is what should happen!!!

Unfortunately the People who are supposed to matter and be on the Consumers side appear not to Care!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Cheers, MARK

Hi Bev50uk,

I have just past the 14 day deadline that The Lewis Group have sent by 4 days due to Easter Weekend but I sent them an email last week advising them that I wasn't ignoring them and that Welcome were chasing an Illegal balance and recommended they pass it back to Welcome!

They phoned me twice yesterday (once in the morning and once in the afternoon) to say that my case has officially been passed back to Welcome! The Lewis Group are employed by Welcome but are not owned by them and Welcome do not tell them the circumstances of the debt, only that they want it collected. Debt collection agencies are very used to companies not being straight with them so be polite but firm when you email or phone them...!!

If you are 100% sure that you don't owe them anything then DON'T pay anything, otherwise it will be harder to get back due to their predicament at the moment. Don't be intimidated by them because they are trying all sorts of bully boy tactics to claw back ANY money they can...

But the Lewis Group are owned by the Cattles Group who also own Welcome, so you can bet the same dirty tac-tics are used by Lewis to claw in money, two of a kind in my book, trust neither, in fact it would not surprise me if ex Welcome branch staff are being employed by Lewis as the branches slowly but surely vanish of the map, and it will then be a centalised collection outfit, which I bet ends up with the Welscum name being dropped but being fronted by Lewis until the Welscum loan book is cleared.

Edited by Pitsy

Hi Bev50uk,

I have just past the 14 day deadline that The Lewis Group have sent by 4 days due to Easter Weekend but I sent them an email last week advising them that I wasn't ignoring them and that Welcome were chasing an Illegal balance and recommended they pass it back to Welcome!

They phoned me twice yesterday (once in the morning and once in the afternoon) to say that my case has officially been passed back to Welcome! The Lewis Group are employed by Welcome but are not owned by them and Welcome do not tell them the circumstances of the debt, only that they want it collected. Debt collection agencies are very used to companies not being straight with them so be polite but firm when you email or phone them...!!

I was advised by The Lewis Group Reps to contact Welcome again to get my complaint dealt with (AGAIN) but I have had over 2 years of it so I am not going to bother because we all know that no one in Welcome has the faintest clue what they are doing and are rude, arrogant script reading losers who in my opinion deserve to lose all their jobs because they haven't got the balls to stand up and say this is WRONG!! Go down with your sinking ship...LOSERS!!!

Welcome Update: I have passed the 14 day Lewis Debt Collection Time Limit by 5 days and they have called me (Tuesday after Easter) with reference to my email I sent in response to their Demand.

Quote: We have referred it back to Welcome Finance because there is a dispute Notice written on your File so you will have to call them to sort out where it goes from here!

I don't think so...... I will wait until they all burn in Hell and lose their jobs before I do that!!

Everybody knows its a waste of time calling or writing to them due to their inability to read, write, comprehend or deal with a situation without trying some sort of underhand tactic or passing you around their endless loop of Departments on the Prime 0870 make us money while you wait cash point number.

Is there no one at Welcome who has the balls to stand up to their own company and come forward and give evidence...or are you just going to go down with the sinking ship!!??