style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, new to the forums, hope you can help.

My family and I emigrated to New Zealand last year, we sold our family home but still have 2 flats there, we bought them 3/4 years ago hoping they would be investments, they are highly mortgaged have no equity to release, ideally though we would like to hold on to them as they are the only real chance of us having a nest egg one day.

When we left we had about £14k worth of debt, £1k to dfs, and around £13 k spread over 3 credit cards.

We have been paying these debts last 9 months but the exchange rate is now making it very hard to keep on doing this.

I know I will get defaults on my credit score etc, but that wont affect me in new zealand, what i am most worried about is our two 'investments', will i be forced to sell these if the debts go to ccj?

I know I should keep paying, but times are very very tight

Regards

If there were no CCJs against you when you left the UK they cannot legally obtain one against you now you have left, they can only be obtained against resident UK citizens. If they do manage to obtain a CCJ by 'default' using an old address you can easily get it set aside.

Have a read through http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/221573-debt-being-chased-australia.html it's a bit long at 24 pages, but well worth the read.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Hi thanks for taking the time to answer, very helpful.

Only thing I am thinking though is when do i cease to be a uk citizen? I havent informed anyone officially that i have left, and im only resident in new zealand and dont get citizenship for 5 years

It has nothing to do with being a citizen, you have to be resident in the UK.

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

Hi, just coming back to this, so the fact that I still have a UK bank account, and own 2 properties with rent going in and mortgages going out each month makes no difference? they could not get a ccj issued against me and in turn could not reposses or face a sale? could they hassle my tennants?

Should I inform them I have left the uk now? as im still working on the redirected post system, if i should should i give them my address here? or would a po box suffice?

thanks in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for that, so i am reading this right that they cannot sue me and cannot touch my property?

I understand you cannot swear to this

You may be better asking in Expat Focus - Forums - Expat Issues (scroll down for country specific forums) - Credit and Debt Management but AFAIK they would have to go through the NZ legal system which would be expensive for them & even then they would have no guarantee of payment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]