Ruthbridge threatening bankrupcy on a SB debt

bsj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend has received many letters from various debt collectors for the same debt,it's statute barred,every time the SB letter is sent,it go'es quiet for a while untill the next DCA gets hold of it.

Now ruthbridge has sent a letter threatening to go to court to file for bankruptcy.

This debt is at least 15 years old,i have advised him to send the SB letter again,and report them to the OFT.

Is there anything other advice i can pass on to him,he's very worried despite my trying to convince him they cannot take this action against him.

Just wanting to make sure i have given the correct advice and direction on how to deal with this.

Yes, you are giving him the correct advice if he hasn't paid or acknowledged the debt for 6 years. Tell him to send the SB letter to Ruthbridge and stop worrying. Last time I wrote to them I told them to *iss off - and they did! They are bullies who don't like it up ' em, Mr Mainwaring!:D

Hi BSJ,

sorry to hear your mates having problems.Personally,if I was your mate, Id now ignore anything that he's sent.He's done his bit by sending the SB letter.If it is indeed 'Statute Barred' you know theres bugger all they can do.Let's see what happens if they do take him to court, and the court finds out it's SB.They (Ruthbridge) know the rules and procedures.Debt4get is correct, it's just a threat. Ruthbridge won't go to court, as they will know theres bugger all they can do. Nothing more you can do, other than reassure your mate.Keep us posted.

Regards

Signaller

Hi BSJ,

sorry to hear your mates having problems.Personally,if I was your mate, Id now ignore anything that he's sent.He's done his bit by sending the SB letter.If it is indeed 'Statute Barred' you know theres bugger all they can do.Let's see what happens if they do take him to court, and the court finds out it's SB.They (Ruthbridge) know the rules and procedures.Debt4get is correct, it's just a threat. Ruthbridge won't go to court, as they will know theres bugger all they can do. Nothing more you can do, other than reassure your mate.Keep us posted.

Regards

Signaller

Hi signaller,

it's definatley statute barred it's 15 years plus old,it's from when his house was repossessed,so he can virtually date it to the day.

I think it's surfaced because it's a large amount,he heard nothing for years, untill early last year,to be honest i'm surprised the DCA's were so slow with it as it's such a large amount,still it's their loss.

He would never of been in the position to pay it back,he was paying the building society off for the outstanding mortgage for many years.

Regards to you too and thank you.

Several of us have had the same letters from Ruthbridge lately, over Stat Barred alleged debts. I've been ignoring them, to see how much rope they would give themselves, in the hope of hanging them with it. Disappointingly, they've gone all quiet and seemingly gone away :(

Whatever you choose to do, it's nothing to worry about :)

I'll bet the letter also included a discount if ou paid off the amount within a few days. The next one in the Ruthbridge suite will offer debt counselling. This is despite this "service" not being part of the company's consumer credit licence. And Ruthbridge have the cheek to claim sending template letters taken from interweb isn't legal!!!!!

Ignore them, They are not worth the cost of a recorded delivery letter.

I spoke to him and followed up with the advice given here,he's decided not waste a stamp on them.I wonder how far they will go:D

He has paid nothing off of this debt since defaulting,it's so old now there's no sign of any default on his file.

He did receive a telogram the same day,i told him not to ring and checked them out first,another phishing exercise from a DCA.

He knows whatever they are chasing is SB'd as he has had no credit for years after losing his home in the early 90's.He was'nt in the position to pay any secondry creditors due to having to pay the outstanding amounts to the building society for the repo.

He heard nothing for years,these have resurfaced recently and scared the life out of him,good job he knows a cagger eh;)

Thanks everyone for your advice:)

I would not just ignore them after sending a sb letter,I would use there own complaints procedure and then complain the the financial ombudsmen keep in mind that this will cost the dca around £450 regardless of the outcome that should send them packing.I would also complain to the oft, trading standards and my mp and make them all aware that I will not be fobed off and want them to do there jobs

I spoke too soon about them going all quiet, I had another missive from them today. I'm still going to ignore them though :)

Threat-letter-3-edited.jpg

Thats the sort of thing that happens to me:D

I would not just ignore them after sending a sb letter,I would use there own complaints procedure and then complain the the financial ombudsmen keep in mind that this will cost the dca around £450 regardless of the outcome that should send them packing.I would also complain to the oft, trading standards and my mp and make them all aware that I will not be fobed off and want them to do there jobs

If it were mine i would do the same,hopefully he'll take the advice offered and follow up with a complaint,i have told him to take a look here and maybe join.

It would give him a better understanding on the way DCA's work.

Yes, do report after going through the DCA's own complaints procedure. I believe it is unlawful to chase debts subject to limitation in the manner they have used. Might be wrong there but sure I read it somewhere :rolleyes:.

I have read the same info,so i would say your correct,i'm tempted to get him to send the harrassment letter:D.

As i have said it's not my decision to follow it up with a complaint,i hope he will,it may just stop them dead in their tracks.

All i can do is pass on the good advice from here,i have offered to see it through for him and send for their complaints procedure,somehow i doubt they will reply:rolleyes:

If they do not send details of their complaints procedure on request that is cause enough to go straight to the Financial Services Ombudsman. Their failure to comply with a request for a procedure they must have under the terms of their consumer credit licence would be added to their other offences of failing to realise a statute barred debt is virtually uncollectable.

The OFT should also be told of their ignorance of the regs, especially as officials appea to be considering whether or not to renew their consumer credit licence.